What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Lammies can Fairchild (was: To add insult to CSU's injury...)

CSU is not as broke as you think it is. The University just raised nearly $500 Million in 4 years for on-campus improvments. There is no reason it can't make another large fundraising push for its athletic department.

Is that why CSU "paid" for their IPF with bonds? :stupid:

Last edited:
CSU actually has the potential to be an ok football school. Sure, we give them **** about their academics, being a former ag school and all. But, their mission is different from CU's. Ft. Fun isn't that bad a place to live. In fact, I've seen a lot of this country, and compared to about 90-95% of it, the Fort is actually pretty nice.

The front range is growing, and, let's face it, the in-state CSU alumni base is growing a lot faster than CU's. That's pretty simple - when a larger percentage of your students come from in the state, more of them stay in the state when they graduate. The joke is often that CSU doesn't have fans, they have alumni. Here's the thing though, at some point, just having a **** ton of alumni may be enough - all you have to do is engage them. A big, nice new stadium, near bars and restaurants; one that doesn't look like a soviet era bomb shelter shoved off in a field. Some nice new training facilities, and a serious advertising and state-wide community outreach program, plus a sugar-daddy to pay for it.

If they did it right, and that is a pretty damn big "if," I could see them being a legit BCS expansion prospect in the 5-10 year time frame.

if they actually do build a new stadium and become good, i am going to officially blame sacky. every loss to the ewes will be on him and i will neg rep him until he is not only below tini but at the bottom of all the neg repped people on the board.

it was all his idea!

My guess is the University is desperatly trying to get itself into the expansion discussion.

Sounds like it. It could happen if they can actually get competitive on the field, get a new stadium, and actually fill it.

CSU actually has the potential to be an ok football school. Sure, we give them **** about their academics, being a former ag school and all. But, their mission is different from CU's. Ft. Fun isn't that bad a place to live. In fact, I've seen a lot of this country, and compared to about 90-95% of it, the Fort is actually pretty nice.

The front range is growing, and, let's face it, the in-state CSU alumni base is growing a lot faster than CU's. That's pretty simple - when a larger percentage of your students come from in the state, more of them stay in the state when they graduate. The joke is often that CSU doesn't have fans, they have alumni. Here's the thing though, at some point, just having a **** ton of alumni may be enough - all you have to do is engage them. A big, nice new stadium, near bars and restaurants; one that doesn't look like a soviet era bomb shelter shoved off in a field. Some nice new training facilities, and a serious advertising and state-wide community outreach program, plus a sugar-daddy to pay for it.

If they did it right, and that is a pretty damn big "if," I could see them being a legit BCS expansion prospect in the 5-10 year time frame.

This is right. The question (frankly, the doubt) is whether they can come up with that kind of cash. Not to be a dick, but if CU can barely manage a practice bubble, I have an extremely hard time picturing a new stadium and new training facilities for the Rams.

Probably catch some flack for this, but it would be worth it for the state to invest in the college athletic programs. We buy 500 million dollar stadiums (including one that sucks) for professional teams that are not affiliated with the state government in any way. Why the state can't put some money into the AD at CU and CSU is beyond me. I think Colorado is missing an economic opportunity here.

(Before you rip this post, think about whether the Alabama and Auburn football programs have a positive impact on Alabama's economy...then remember they practically run that **** in conjunction with WalMart)

Last edited:
This is right. The question (frankly, the doubt) is whether they can come up with that kind of cash. Not to be a dick, but if CU can barely manage a practice bubble, I have an extremely hard time picturing a new stadium and new training facilities for the Rams.

Probably catch some flack for this, but it would be worth it for the state to invest in the college athletic programs. We buy 500 million dollar stadiums (including one that sucks) for professional teams that are not affiliated with the state government in any way. Why the state can't put some money into the AD at CU and CSU is beyond me. I think Colorado is missing an economic opportunity here.

(Before you rip this post, think about whether the Alabama and Auburn football programs have a positive impact on Alabama's economy...then remember they practically run that **** in conjunction with WalMart)

They can do it if they have a Sugar-Momma in Stryker

QUOTE]

A significant contribution would have to come from Pat Stryker. Plain and simple. After that a capital campaign to make up the difference with corporate sponsors. New Belgium field anyone?

They can do it if they have a Sugar-Momma in Stryker

Maybe. Is she a Sugar-Momma to the tune of $300 million? Because that is my guess on a new stadium and training facilities. And if she can put up that much, why the hell not offer Saban $30 million a year for the next ten years? That would be more ROI.

QUOTE]

A significant contribution would have to come from Pat Stryker. Plain and simple. After that a capital campaign to make up the difference with corporate sponsors. New Belgium field anyone?

Don't you ****ing dare. I don't want to be forced to stop drinking Blue Paddle.

Bro, I think you just made my point. I'm not saying he wouldn't take Illinois over CSU, I'm saying that job isn't coming his way.
I don't think we were far off to begin with. My response to the first post implied that taking any job over the opening in ft fun would be sensible. I don't hate GB, but I seriously doubt we'll ever see him as a coach of any school in Colorado.

I can already envision Lee Corso sitting in front of New Belgium Field dropping f-bombs and talking abou how the Rams are going to "paddle" the Buffs. It makes way too much sense not to happen.

And....I can feel the neg rep coming for you from half the board. In all seriousness, Lee Corso will be dead by the time CSU is relevant again.

Sadly that discussion is over. At least where it counts.

they are in a bad place. Say someone dumps $200 million to their athletic program, will they have the fan support to sustain a high level of interest in their program. What kind of attendance were they pulling in in the late 90s, early 00s?

they are in a bad place. Say someone dumps $200 million to their athletic program, will they have the fan support to sustain a high level of interest in their program. What kind of attendance were they pulling in in the late 90s, early 00s?

From 1994 - 2005 CSU averaged roughly 27,000 and averaged more than 30,000 in four of those seasons.

They could do it. Put in a 50k stadium, get good on the field within the next 4 years, fill the stadium to 90% - 95% capacity (not sure how this happens) - and suddenly there is another school pulling the Denver market with fine academics. Lots of conferences, such as the B12, would like that

What about the Wyo game this weekend? 9k... and 3k at the end of the game?

It will certianly be ugly this weekend. A far cry from the 30,000+ that attended the Boise State game. The bottom dropped out this season with the fans, even by CSU standards.

They could do it. Put in a 50k stadium, get good on the field within the next 4 years, fill the stadium to 90% - 95% capacity (not sure how this happens) - and suddenly there is another school pulling the Denver market with fine academics. Lots of conferences, such as the B12, would like that

did they put 90% when they were good?

Don't hold your breath. Even when CU was it the peak of ALL of college football this was a Bronco state. CSU literally will need a miracle to get to the level you are describing. And I mean that, they will LITERALLY need a miracle.

Don't hold your breath. Even when CU was it the peak of ALL of college football this was a Bronco state. CSU literally will need a miracle to get to the level you are describing. And I mean that, they will LITERALLY need a miracle.

I'm not betting on it myself, just saying it could happen. Utah pulled it off in under a decade. I just don't think CSU has enough time

Back