What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike Bohn replacment qualifications discussion

Gold just creamed his shorts over this one - an NFL GM-type guy, what could be better. The Broncos did go 13-3, so clearly that proves Matt can lead a collegiate athletic department.

I love Matt and glad he still supports the program, but to echo others, how in the world does being a player personnel guy translate to running an athletic department??

There's not a tweet in the world that can help his chances. Even Matt has to know deep down he's not qualified for this.

Gold just creamed his shorts over this one - an NFL GM-type guy, what could be better. The Broncos did go 13-3, so clearly that proves Matt can lead a collegiate athletic department.

I love Matt and glad he still supports the program, but to echo others, how in the world does being a player personnel guy translate to running an athletic department??

Ha, what's your deal, want to reference me in all your posts? Pipe down.

Had Matt managed the intricacies of salary caps for a few years then maybe be intrigued with his budgetary skills, but he's a scout. Not good enough. Sorry Matt.

http://www.virginiasports.com/genrel/oliver_jon00.html

If we're not going to hire an AD, then it needs to be someone like this. No NFL guys or anything like that. He's been running the AD from behind the scenes for at least the last five years. Genius football scheduler. Ties to the west and Pac-12. Gets olympic sports. Gets the revenue game.

Heard the JPJ center is amazing. If he pulled that off then that's a big feather in the cap. His bio didn't mention it though. I'm partial to UVa though, great school and athletic dept.

Ha, what's your deal, want to reference me in all your posts? Pipe down.

Had Matt managed the intricacies of salary caps for a few years then maybe be intrigued with his budgetary skills, but he's a scout. Not good enough. Sorry Matt.

What?!?! I'm shocked - this guy fits your description perfectly: football guy, experience with successful NFL program, will take football at CU seriously. Your only hesitation is that he hasn't dealt with salary caps??? Good grief, I give up.

What?!?! I'm shocked - this guy fits your description perfectly: football guy, experience with successful NFL program, will take football at CU seriously. Your only hesitation is that he hasn't dealt with salary caps??? Good grief, I give up.

You can be a contrarian all you want, but I was clear when I brought up how NFL GMs are not the same as scouts. GMs are some of the most skilled football execs you'll find. That you're comparing Matt Russell to an NFL GM is ridiculous.

A few names I'd like to see considered:

Damon Evans (Former AD at University of Georgia - had to resign because of a DUI issue, still did a great job at Georgia both with athletics and academics)
Mike Garrett (Currently the AD at Langston former AD at USC)
Hale Irwin (Former CU football player and hall of fame golfer, one of the most famous alums lots of contacts)
Dave Logan (No experience, but loves CU and the CU nation loves this guy. Would energize fund raising and the alumni base)
Thomas Hansen (Former PAC-10 Commissioner, extensive contacts in the PAC 12 foot print, history of making business deals and fund raising)

I'm pretty sure none of these guys is even on the short list, but I'd like to see them at least contacted.

a few names i'd like to see considered:

Damon evans (former ad at university of georgia - had to resign because of a dui issue, still did a great job at georgia both with athletics and academics)
mike garrett (currently the ad at langston former ad at usc)
hale irwin (former cu football player and hall of fame golfer, one of the most famous alums lots of contacts)
dave logan (no experience, but loves cu and the cu nation loves this guy. Would energize fund raising and the alumni base)
thomas hansen (former pac-10 commissioner, extensive contacts in the pac 12 foot print, history of making business deals and fund raising)

i'm pretty sure none of these guys is even on the short list, but i'd like to see them at least contacted.

drink!

You can be a contrarian all you want, but I was clear when I brought up how NFL GMs are not the same as scouts. GMs are some of the most skilled football execs you'll find. That you're comparing Matt Russell to an NFL GM is ridiculous.

Agreed on the bold part, but they don't leave to take collegiate AD jobs for 2 reasons:

1) It's a step backwards in terms of pay and prestige, and
2) Completely different skill set

Agreed on the bold part, but they don't leave to take collegiate AD jobs for 2 reasons:

1) It's a step backwards in terms of pay and prestige, and
2) Completely different skill set

Yep, that's right. I think 10 pages or so back I said it's not reasonable to expect that type of candidate to interview and its not worth worrying about or discussing. We're not hiring an NFL GM or ops guy.

Heard the JPJ center is amazing. If he pulled that off then that's a big feather in the cap. His bio didn't mention it though. I'm partial to UVa though, great school and athletic dept.

That was pulled off while he was there. Completely privately funded.

Really? And you think donations were just pouring in?

The AD is someone that rubs shoulders with the donors, he influences admin and decides how to best invest money in coaches, facilities, programs, and so on. A passion for football and sports is all they should have, aside from that they need to be skilled in business and making a brand sell.

Unfair.

I don't disagree entirely with Gold (haven't read the whole thread, but I think you guys are a little harsh on his basic premise). In many ways ADs are kind of a football GM. It's our number one revenue sport, and number one engagement opportunity with donors. The AD must set the conditions for football succeed...

Thanks, exactly what I was getting at. There are not many former NFL execs that are now top college ADs, but Oliver Luck, who is the WVU AD is a good example of what I had in mind. Former GM of several NFL Europe teams and eventually became its CEO and had a hand in other sports business ventures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Luck

I realize we're not getting someone like this, it's more to point out there are candidates who have acted as professional GMs that could do well (great actually) in this role.

The AD is someone that rubs shoulders with the donors, he influences admin and decides how to best invest money in coaches, facilities, programs, and so on. A passion for football and sports is all they should have, aside from that they need to be skilled in business and making a brand sell.

This is the big one. The guy has to be someone who can convince people with money to pull out their checkbooks and write, and feel good about doing it. Mike Bohn is a nice guy who comes across as a very professional guy but I wonder if much of this situation isn't because he couldn't close the sale.

http://www.dailycamera.com/cu-colle...ates-at-cu-buffs-athletic-director?source=rss

From a different thread, it shows the DC's list of potential candidates. I can't say anyone appears to be a home run.

I never knew what Solich accomplished as a businessman over the past decade. Pretty damn impressive.

For me, I like Chris May's resume, but I agree, no home run hires in that list. My number one priority would be finding a fundraiser to get this facility project off the ground.

Maybe we hire a guy for the sole purpose of getting the facilities built, and then get a "real" AD.

:bang:While watching sports news last night I saw where Ceal Berry was sitting next to Distiff at a news conferance. When asked if Berry could be the next AD? Distiff basically said yes. Say it ain't so!!! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No! :bang:

Barry is the interim. Firing Bohn, only to replace him with Ceal Barry would be grounds for termination, IMO.

unless I missed it - please tell me nobody is throwing Coach Mac's name around (the first Mac)

This is beyond dumb. So me saying Bohn wasn't qualified for CU AD based on his Idaho/SDSU track record makes me bb2. I'll never agree with anyone who believes Bohn was qualified. If that deeply offends you, there must be a Bohn appreciation thread you can join. Actually, this might be the thread itself, so welcome aboard.

That's not why, the reason is because you are dumb argument:
1. Mullen gets credit for the relative football success, but wasn't responsible for it.
2. Mullen gets credit just for being hired by Oregon. (The real funny part about this is that after Oregon continues to win, you'll credit him for that, too.)
3. Bohn must have been an unqualified hire, because he had AD experience but not at a big enough school. (as one glaring example, Gene Smith was AD at Eastern Michigan before going moving up to BCS conference schools, your point is ridiculous)
4. Bohn must have been an unqualified hire, because years later his track record proves it (how convenient, and a poor argument)

Your "arguments" don't fit together, but they are conveniently modified by hindsight.

That's not why, the reason is because you are dumb argument:
1. Mullen gets credit for the relative football success, but wasn't responsible for it.
2. Mullen gets credit just for being hired by Oregon. (The real funny part about this is that after Oregon continues to win, you'll credit him for that, too.)
3. Bohn must have been an unqualified hire, because he had AD experience but not at a big enough school. (as one glaring example, Gene Smith was AD at Eastern Michigan before going moving up to BCS conference schools, your point is ridiculous)
4. Bohn must have been an unqualified hire, because years later his track record proves it (how convenient, and a poor argument)

Your "arguments" don't fit together, but they are conveniently modified by hindsight.

You're embarrassing yourself here. Not only by throwing the insults around like you're triumph the insult comic dog, and far less funny, but also because you're talking in circles.

Oregon and other top programs wanted Mullens. That might pain you to admit more successful athletic depts wanted him, and you apparently think its dumb luck he landed one of the biggest operating budgets in our conference. Also, it's more dumb luck and coincidence Oregon had had success since he joined.

All these coincidences, amazing stuff.

Bohn proved my initial hunch about his qualifications over the last 7 years. If you think Bohn was a good AD, then the last 2 days must have been hard on you.

Michigan's current AD formerly ran a pizza company. That said being the AD at Michigan does not have the same challenges as CU. Ideally I'd like a proven AD. Top of my list would probably be to bring Tom Jurich back to the front range. He's had success with both Louisville's b-ball and football programs, has built tremendous facilities there, and has family ties to the area and liked living here. Louisville is probably willing to pay what it will take to keep him though.
I don't have the numbers, but Dave Brandon budget at Michigan is probably much, much bigger than what we have at CU. Jurich would probably laugh pretty loud if CU called.

Back