What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike Bohn replacment qualifications discussion

TED LELAND. Arguably greatest AD of all time. Over 50 NCAA team titles in decade at Stanford. Obviously knows the Pac-10/12 conference inside and out. Raised 300 Million in private cash. Hired Mike Montgomery who led the men's basketball team to several final fours and #1 tournament seeds. Hired other coaches whose teams won national titles. A boring, low-key administrator. Currently AD at Pacific.

Ted Leland. Arguably greatest AD of all time. Over 50 NCAA team titles in his 14 years at Stanford. Raised 300 Million in private cash. Hired Mike Montgomery who led the men's basketball team to several final fours and #1 tournament seeds. Hired a few other coaches whose teams won national titles. A boring, low-key administrator. Currently AD at Pacific.

I could raise $300 million at Stanford if my name was "Leland". Would he be willing to change his name to Whizzer?

If it weren't for the correct spelling & grammar, I'd swear gold was a bigbang sock.

Wasn't he running the ship at the start of Stanford's disastrous pre-Harbaugh run for football?

Yeah. The guy who replaced him was better. Having a brain fart on his name, but he was Iowa's AD for a long time, hired Harbaugh at Furd and is now the Big 12 commish.

If it weren't for the correct spelling & grammar, I'd swear gold was a bigbang sock.

Unfair.

I don't disagree entirely with Gold (haven't read the whole thread, but I think you guys are a little harsh on his basic premise). In many ways ADs are kind of a football GM. It's our number one revenue sport, and number one engagement opportunity with donors. The AD must set the conditions for football succeed...

Let's use this to post and track any rumors related to Mike's replacment:

Bruce Feldman thinks Texas rangers president and former CU recruiting coordinator will be on the short list:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>AD Mike Bohn out at <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23CU">#CU</a>: <a href="http://t.co/lszH2hMh7u" title="http://cbsprt.co/143DIfH">cbsprt.co/143DIfH</a> Expect <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23TexasRangers">#TexasRangers</a> pres Rick George to be high on <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23Buffs">#Buffs</a> list.</p>&mdash; Bruce Feldman (@BFeldmanCBS) <a href="https://twitter.com/BFeldmanCBS/status/339479884076285953">May 28, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I would be happy with Rick George, or Rick James
Rick-James-248967-1-402.jpg

This is beyond dumb. So me saying Bohn wasn't qualified for CU AD based on his Idaho/SDSU track record makes me bb2. I'll never agree with anyone who believes Bohn was qualified. If that deeply offends you, there must be a Bohn appreciation thread you can join. Actually, this might be the thread itself, so welcome aboard.

This is beyond dumb. So me saying Bohn wasn't qualified for CU AD based on his Idaho/SDSU track record makes me bb2. I'll never agree with anyone who believes Bohn was qualified. If that deeply offends you, there must be a Bohn appreciation thread you can join. Actually, this might be the thread itself, so welcome aboard.

What are the odds the NEXT CU athletic director has LESS overall AD experience than Mike Bohn did?

Bohn started out as an intern at the Air Force Academy, before moving up the ranks to be an assistant athletic director. He spent 9 years total at the Air Force Acaedmy (1984-1992). He then served as the director of marketing for the CFA for three years (1992-1995). He next spent 3 years at Colorado State as an assistant AD (1996-1998). He then landed the Univ. of Idaho AD job, where he worked from 1999 - 2003. He was the AD at San Diego State from 2003-2005.

21 years experience working in college football administration when he got the CU job.

My guess is CU's next AD won't have that much experience nor those qualifications. He'll probably get paid a lot more though.

Have you heard the saying "if you're sitting in a room full of people and every one of them is crazy, then maybe it's actually you who is crazy"? Seems like it may apply here.

What are the odds the NEXT CU athletic director has LESS overall AD experience than Mike Bohn did?

Bohn started out as an intern at the Air Force Academy, before moving up the ranks to be an assistant athletic director. He spent 9 years total at the Air Force Acaedmy (1984-1992). He then served as the director of marketing for the CFA for three years (1992-1995). He next spent 3 years at Colorado State as an assistant AD (1996-1998). He then landed the Univ. of Idaho AD job, where he worked from 1999 - 2003. He was the AD at San Diego State from 2003-2005.

21 years experience working in college football administration when he got the CU job.

My guess is CU's next AD won't have that much experience nor those qualifications. He'll probably get paid a lot more though.

Yeah but he didn't single-handedly turn Kentucky into a perennial 7-6 team, so what the hell were we thinking.

Basically, Bohn = good hire. Mullens = bad hire. I would agree, except there's an overwhelming amount of data that points in the opposite direction (both pre and post hire track records) that prevents me from doing so.

Except nobody is saying that. What they're saying is that Bohn had a better resume' than Mullens. Which appears to be true, the way you are stretching Mullens career at the seams to make it look like a fit.

Allow me to ask another question... If Benson came out and said "Our criteria for hiring our next athletic director is that the person we hire will have to have shown they can run a successful football program" and then comes back in a month and says "Introducing our new Athletic Director - Joe Blow, assistant athletic director from Vanderbilt", are you going to say to yourself "Wow, they just got the guy who exactly matched the criteria they laid out!"?

Ted Leland. Arguably greatest AD of all time. Over 50 NCAA team titles in his 14 years at Stanford. Raised 300 Million in private cash. Hired Mike Montgomery who led the men's basketball team to several final fours and #1 tournament seeds. Hired a few other coaches whose teams won national titles. A boring, low-key administrator. Currently AD at Pacific.

Stanford is a very different animal from CU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Stanford is a very different animal from CU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Exactly. While I want somebody that can raise huge amounts of money from donors, I need to see somebody who has done it somewhere other than Stanford, Oregon, Notre Dame, U$C or most $EC schools (or Texass, for that matter), where the fundraising environment is totally different from CU. Somebody who has been used to being somewhere where the donors are lined up to support the programs, or the Rolodex list of people with 9 figure net worths looks like a phone book is going to have a hard time adapting at CU....

Have you heard the saying "if you're sitting in a room full of people and every one of them is crazy, then maybe it's actually you who is crazy"? Seems like it may apply here.

I don't post to gain the favor of others. But if we want to talk who agrees with whom, ok lets take a look at what I believe and who agrees with me.

1. Mike Bohn isn't qualified to be AD of CU in 2013
Who agrees: Bruce Benson, and the majority of the CU student body & alumni

2. Mike Bohn wasn't qualified to be AD of CU back in 2005-2012
Who agrees: Majority of CU student body & alumni

3. Rob Mullens was far more qualified than Mike Bohn
Who agrees: Oregon

4. We should stay away from a candidate that hasn't demonstrated success with football, either college or pros
Who agrees: If you want to contact every president and ask them if football is important to an AD hire, be prepared to listen for a good hour or two about just how important it is. Or you can look at most successful ADs and their resumes and see correlations to prior success with football programs.

#1 I partially agree with. Bohn had run his course at CU and it was time for a change. But he did a lot of good things here (as well as bad) and will probably get another job somewhere without too much difficulty.

#2 You are completely wrong, completely. He was a damn good hire in 2005, particularly considering the state of the department at the time.

#3 Time will tell I guess, but getting hired alone doesn't make you a good AD, let's see what he does now that the prior AD's coach has left and he's had to hire his own football coach. If OU is still rattling off 10 win seasons 3 years from now then Mullens will look like a very good hire.

#4 Understanding the importance of football to an Athletic Department is different than being a "football guy" to me so I would not limit our pool of candidates based on football experience. Leaders can transcend their industry, it's why a guy with no collegiate experience who spent much of his career in women's tennis can still be a helluva BCS conference commissioner.

Per the DP, Matt Russel has thrown his hat in the ring. Discuss. (Director of player personnel for the Broncos).

edit: confirmed.

[tweet]339854754073165824 [/tweet]

Last edited:
YES to Matt Russell. He has made awesome moves at the Broncos. I wouldn't expect him to hold the bags too much for our OL drills though...[video=youtube;KQVGtrqmy9g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQVGtrqmy9g[/video]

YES to Matt Russell. He has made awesome moves at the Broncos. I wouldn't expect him to hold the bags too much for our OL drills though...[video=youtube;KQVGtrqmy9g]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQVGtrqmy9g[/video]

What qualifications does he have to lead or co-lead a large capital campaign?

Russell is a personnel man and scout. Has he ever raised funds or managed a budget?

Love Matt Russell. Have no idea what makes an NFL personnel guy qualified to lead an entire athletic department and fundraising drive for facilities.

I'm fine with them interviewing guys like Matt Russell. He could really be good or bad. Don't know. But I sure hope they at least look at some experienced guys from outside the CU circle. This hire is so damn important I just hope it is done right. I'm not holding my breath.

Back