What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike Bohn replacment qualifications discussion

So Mullens was an unqualified candidate and should be non-credited for any UK success? And Bohn, coming off 4 straight losing FB seasons at Idaho, and 1 at SDSU, was better qualified.

Well there you have it. An AD with 5 straight FB losing seasons at the MWC/WAC level > than Mullens. I can't argue with that logic out of principle. Would be a huge waste of time.

Mullens was neither the football coach, nor the person who hired the football coach at Kentucky so yes I am saying he should not be getting the credit for the success or failure of the football team.

Mullens seems to be doing fine, and I'm actually not arguing that he was a bad candidate, but after all your "we need a football guy" BS, it sounds ridiculous when you argue that Bohn was a risky hire despite having run 2 ADs, but instead we shoul be going after a guy like Mullens who's background was as a deputy with a finance background.

Now he's not on the hook for losing FB? Incredible.

What would you have suggested he do? You make the point of reporting the record of the football teams while he was AD, but don't get around to saying how he was supposed to change that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Like I said, incredible. Bohn was NOT qualified to run CU. Nothing in his resume prior to CU indicated we would be successful in football under his leadership. And guess what? We weren't successful! We failed miserably for 7 years!

You think Mullens doesn't know football? Oregon hires a clueless football AD? Does that sound feasible? Use some critical thinking. Apparently, severely underestimating Oregon and wildly overestimating Bohn pre-CU is trendy. Oregon gave the AD position to someone who isn't football savvy and doesn't have experience in that dept. That makes sense.

Like I said, incredible. Bohn was NOT qualified to run CU. Nothing in his resume prior to CU indicated we would be successful in football under his leadership. And guess what? We weren't successful! We failed miserably for 7 years!

You think Mullens doesn't know football? Oregon hires a clueless football AD? Does that sound feasible? Use some critical thinking. Apparently, severely underestimating Oregon and wildly overestimating Bohn pre-CU is trendy. Oregon gave the AD position to someone who isn't football savvy and doesn't have experience in that dept. That makes sense.

Bohn walked into sanctions, a PR nightmare, lackluster facilities, declining football program, and donations drying up quickly. Mullens took over a program with a sugar daddy booster, elite facilities, top 10 football program, and one of the best football coaches in the country already in place. Not hard to see who was in better position to have a better football record.

By the standard you have set, Mullens should never have been hired at Oregon. Mullens had never run a successful FB program. Hell, he had never RUN a FB program at all. He was an associate AD at a couple schools where FB "success" is apparently defined as a 7-6 record and a trip to the Music City Bowl. So, no, Oregon didn't hire a clueless football AD. They also didn't hire somebody who fit the criteria you keep saying CU absolutely MUST meet in order to have a chance at FB success. That's the point people are trying to make for you....

That's a separate issue from Bohn, who had run FB programs, but without success. Pointing out that fact doesn't somehow give Mullens the experience you're claiming an AD has to have to run a successful football program prior to his being hired at Oregon.

Remember how hard it was to find a head coach willing to take the CU football job?

In the end, CU hired a guy from a WAC school with exactly ONE winning season, and paid him a fortune to come to CU.

Expect a similar result for the next CU AD.

Last edited:
Oregon is a completely different beast than us. They have Nike money, so fundraising is not important to building their facilities. Our needs in a AD should be different than theirs.

Remember how hard it was to find a head coach willing to take the CU football job?

In the end, CU hired a guy from a WAC school with exactly ONE winning season, and paid him a fortune to come to CU.

Weird. I remember that we didn't get our first choice, and got the guy who was
Realistically #2 on our list. I must have not been paying as close attention to the situation as you did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Man you are really ****ting on MM while ignoring his other qualifications and accomplishments.

Gold clearly we are not going to agree, and Mullens may very well turn out to be a good AD, but it's way too early to tell. You claim he must be football savvy otherwise Oregon never would have hired him - besides being a silly argument, nothing in his résumé tells me he knows anything about football. He has hired exactly one football coach in his career and that person has yet to coach a game.

Hindsight is 20/20, but I will say that at the time they were each hired (important distinction), Bohn's resume was more impressive for a future AD than Mullen's.

Man you are really ****ting on MM while ignoring his other qualifications and accomplishments.

I'm not ****ting on anybody. But I am sure that MacIntyre wasn't at the top of CU's wish list given all of the comments about hiring a current BCS coach, etc. subsequent to Water Bottle's termination.

I'm not ****ting on anybody. But I am sure that MacIntyre wasn't at the top of CU's wish list given all of the comments about hiring a current BCS coach, etc. subsequent to Water Bottle's termination.
As far as anyone knows outside the AD MM was the #2 choice behind Jones.

And no you are ****ting on him. How is this not ****ting on him?
CU hired a guy from a WAC school with exactly ONE winning season, and paid him a fortune to come to CU.

Ignoring that he was the 2008 FBS assistant coach of the year as a DC, took over a APR sanctioned program at SJSU, and in three years lead them to their best season ever, along with working under a NFL HoF coach. That sure sounds like you're ****ting on him to me..

Gold clearly we are not going to agree, and Mullens may very well turn out to be a good AD, but it's way too early to tell. You claim he must be football savvy otherwise Oregon never would have hired him - besides being a silly argument, nothing in his résumé tells me he knows anything about football. He has hired exactly one football coach in his career and that person has yet to coach a game.

Hindsight is 20/20, but I will say that at the time they were each hired (important distinction), Bohn's resume was more impressive for a future AD than Mullen's.

I demand you eat a Powerbar, or at least a Lunabar, and revisit this statement in 10-15 minutes after it's fully digested.

These are not coincidences:

1. Bohn doesn't oversee a winning FB program his last 5 years at Idaho/SDSU, then the same pattern happens at CU for 7 years

2. Mullens is involved in a winning FB program in his last 4 years at Kentucky (at a place that doesn't see much FB winning), then the same pattern happens at Oregon

These are not coincidences to me. I think you're vastly underselling his experience there to make your point. His run at OU has been spectacular, and he was sought after by LSU, Miami and Maryland for AD positions prior to Oregon.

As far as anyone knows outside the AD MM was the #2 choice behind Jones.

And no you are ****ting on him. How is this not ****ting on him?

Ignoring that he was the 2008 FBS assistant coach of the year as a DC, took over a APR sanctioned program at SJSU, and in three years lead them to their best season ever, along with working under a NFL HoF coach. That sure sounds like you're ****ting on him to me..

Is it true or false that MacIntyre has one winning season as a head football coach?

If saying "true" = "****ting on him" then yes, I suppose I am ****ting on him.

Is it true or false that MacIntyre has one winning season as a head football coach?

If saying "true" = "****ting on him" then yes, I suppose I am ****ting on him.
It's true, but you ignore the factors that he faced at SJSU like a very low recruiting budget (CU has one of the highest in the nation), scholarship sanctions, and his overall coaching ability. You are only looking at it from one small angle instead of looking at the whole picture.

You are vastly overstating Mullens direct involvement in the success or failure at Kentucky (a very mediocre football school). He was a finance guy who hired ZERO coaches there, and they were a below .500 team during his tenure. He had run ZERO athletic departments and hired ZERO coaching staffs before coming to Oregon. If that constitutes solid football credentials to you, then I don't know what to tell you.

Oh, and as I mentioned already, his "run at OU" has been a 3 year stretch where his football program was already a juggernaught. Inheriting one of the best coaches in college football doesn't make you a good AD, it means you accepted a very good job. You know who else took over a damn good football team and managed not to f**k it up? Dan Hawkins at Boise.

I demand you eat a Powerbar, or at least a Lunabar, and revisit this statement in 10-15 minutes after it's fully digested.

These are not coincidences:

1. Bohn doesn't oversee a winning FB program his last 5 years at Idaho/SDSU, then the same pattern happens at CU for 7 years

2. Mullens is involved in a winning FB program in his last 4 years at Kentucky (at a place that doesn't see much FB winning), then the same pattern happens at Oregon

These are not coincidences to me. I think you're vastly underselling his experience there to make your point. His run at OU has been spectacular, and he was sought after by LSU, Miami and Maryland for AD positions prior to Oregon.

You really can't count what happened at CU and Oregon in comparing their resume's when they were hired for those jobs. And you can't just pretend that being an Associate AD is the same thing as being the athletic director. Anybody who thinks that being a deputy is the same thing as being the boss has never been a boss. Guaranteed.

And no, Kentucky wasn't a "winning" FB program. They might have scratched out a couple bowl appearances in much the same way that CU went to the Independence Bowl in 2007, but were they ever a program you would want CU to use as a standard? No. Even if Mullens was "involved" in the program (what were his FB related duties? how did that prepare him to be an AD at a FB school? How is is going to translate into donors having faith in his FB prowess and opening their checkbooks, which was your argument for why FB experience mattered more than fundraising experience earlier in the thread?), he certainly wasn't running the program. Having actually run a program is a significant resume' advantage over somebody who hasn't.

By the standard you have set, Mullens should never have been hired at Oregon. Mullens had never run a successful FB program. Hell, he had never RUN a FB program at all. He was an associate AD at a couple schools where FB "success" is apparently defined as a 7-6 record and a trip to the Music City Bowl. So, no, Oregon didn't hire a clueless football AD. They also didn't hire somebody who fit the criteria you keep saying CU absolutely MUST meet in order to have a chance at FB success. That's the point people are trying to make for you....

That's a separate issue from Bohn, who had run FB programs, but without success. Pointing out that fact doesn't somehow give Mullens the experience you're claiming an AD has to have to run a successful football program prior to his being hired at Oregon.

I equate UK having 4 straight winning football seasons to our bball team having 3 straight 20 win season. When you have a history of losing, and play in a super competitive conference, getting to above average is quite an achievement. Dissing a 7-6, or 8-5 record for Kentucky isn't very smart. They would be thrilled with that year in and out for being a basketball-first school.

So seeing that Mullens was involved in a very successful time at UK athletics, and he had LSU, Miami and Maryland interested, and ran an operating budget HIGHER than Oregon's at the time ($79M to $70) how do you not see him as being qualified?

Basically, Bohn = good hire. Mullens = bad hire. I would agree, except there's an overwhelming amount of data that points in the opposite direction (both pre and post hire track records) that prevents me from doing so.

For the love of God stop using Oregon as the ideal model. I agree that we need a guy with money experience, but Oregon is a completely different beast. They have a guy with oversight over their hires...his name is Phil Knight. He is also the guy providing most of their funding. Oregon wanted a guy to manage the books and make sure everything stayed clean with their sugar daddy donor so they hired an accountant to make sure the i's were always dotted and the t's were always crossed when it came to financial oversight relative to NCAA and State regulations.

We need a guy with a proven track record of running capital campaigns and getting the major sports on track. The pool of those guys is pretty much limited to existing, successful BCS AD's and I have very little faith that CU is going pay the rate necessary to lure one of those guys from a place where he already has things humming to the disaster zone that is the University of Colorado. As a result we'll likely have to hire a guy who is sports exec but not for a college, or the deputy of one of those guys who at least has experience in seeing how his boss ran things and hope that he has the chops for the step up.

Ted Leland. Arguably greatest AD of all time. Over 50 NCAA team titles in his 14 years at Stanford. Raised 300 Million in private cash. Hired Mike Montgomery who led the men's basketball team to several final fours and #1 tournament seeds. Hired a few other coaches whose teams won national titles. A boring, low-key administrator. Currently AD at Pacific.

I equate UK having 4 straight winning football seasons to our bball team having 3 straight 20 win season. When you have a history of losing, and play in a super competitive conference, getting to above average is quite an achievement. Dissing a 7-6, or 8-5 record for Kentucky isn't very smart. They would be thrilled with that year in and out for being a basketball-first school. So seeing that Mullens was involved in a very successful time at UK athletics, and he had LSU, Miami and Maryland interested, and ran an operating budget HIGHER than Oregon's at the time ($79M to $70) how do you not see him as being qualified?
Please explain how Mullens had any impact on a sub .500 football program at Kentucky when he didn't hire the coach, didn't recruit the players, and didn't build major facilities. Please tell me how his managing a budget directly resulted in wins and losses.Being employed at a school is different than contributing to wins and losses.

Best post so far!!

Ted Leland. Arguably greatest AD of all time. Over 50 NCAA team titles in his 14 years at Stanford. Raised 300 Million in private cash. Hired Mike Montgomery who led the men's basketball team to several final fours and #1 tournament seeds. Hired a few other coaches whose teams won national titles. A boring, low-key administrator. Currently AD at Pacific.

Thank you for pointing out a stellar candididate! Any insight on his energy level? Did he go to Pacific to turn down the volume?

Thank you for pointing out a stellar candididate! Any insight on his energy level? Did he go to Pacific to turn down the volume?

Wasn't he running the ship at the start of Stanford's disastrous pre-Harbaugh run for football?

He has some very nice credentials. But he is also an alum of Pacific.

Back