What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike MacIntyre: Does He Make It Through 2016?

How long will Mike MacIntyre last?

• 1 game: Loss to CSU and Rick George says **** it, time to make a statement!

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • 2- games: Buffs lose to CSU and a D-IAA program? Gone

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • 3-4 games: Michigan and Oregon are certain losses, but if they get embarrassed?!

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • 5-6 games: Buffs sitting at 2-3 or 2-4 may spark this.

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • 7-8 games: I have Buffs at 3-5 after 8. Does needing to go 3-1 in last 4 make George.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • 9-10 games: Buffs are not bowl eligible in this timeframe and makes it easy

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • 11-12 games: Two winnable home games and if Buffs are 4-6 going into them, he HAS to win both.

Votes: 37 21.0%
  • 2017 Extension: Buffs make a bowl and continue to show improvement.

Votes: 86 48.9%

• Total voters
Kind of the point of my question... Is winning 6 games and going to a bowl for the first time since 2007 enough to extend him 2-3 years, or does there have to be tangible results in recruiting as well?
All the great HCs close, Mickmac is not a closer. I appreciate his rebuilding efforts, but when do we decide to move on like we did from Bohn?

Kind of the point of my question... Is winning 6 games and going to a bowl for the first time since 2007 enough to extend him 2-3 years, or does there have to be tangible results in recruiting as well?
I think we need to see both from him. And certainly, as of now, recruiting seems to be heading in the right direction.

He would likely get extended at least one year, probably two. He would have earned it.

This lets him tell recruits that the school is extending him so they can count on playing for the staff that recruited them without locking up the money for a longer term. Best for all involved.

If he followed a bowl this year (and any bowl would do) with a bowl next year and some incremental improvement then the extention may get longer and bigger.

All the great HCs close, Mickmac is not a closer. I appreciate his rebuilding efforts, but when do we decide to move on like we did from Bohn?
So his on-field results, regardless of recruiting, don't really carry any weight with you? It's all about recruiting? I'm just trying to nail down your position here because you're not really answering the question.

So his on-field results, regardless of recruiting, don't really carry any weight with you? It's all about recruiting? I'm just trying to nail down your position here because you're not really answering the question.
I just don't think you can have one without the other. Help me name some great head coaches that didn't dominate the room.

What do you think HCMMs ceiling is?

I just don't think you can have one without the other. Help me name some great head coaches that didn't dominate the room.

What do you think HCMMs ceiling is?
I'm not saying I necessarily disagree with you overarching point, it just sounds like you don't really care what happens on the field this year; you just want him gone.

I think with the right staff, like the one he's started to assemble, recruiting will begin to pick up like we've seen. If he gets this team to a bowl this season, I think he will have proved that his philosophy is working and that he is doing more with less than just about any coach in the conference.

I think the answer is pretty simple if a bowl game happens: you extend 1-2 years with a modest pay bump without committing the school to a ridiculous buyout. You also bump the pay of his assistants substantially to help offset the one-year contract conundrum. This shows stability and rightfully rewards a good coaching job, but also allows flexibility to move on if the program plateaus in 2017/2018.

IMO, RG wants the buffs to contend to pac 12 south titles so even if mac makes a bowl game this year that really doesn't prove he can do that unless he shows his biggest hurdle was showing recruits they could win. obviously RG burned some bridges with fans when he didn't fire Mac last year after a disappointing season but I believe he still has expectations for the program, 4 head coaches in 6 years is just too difficult to overcome.

I feel like we keep having the same conversation wether it be Hawkins,Embree and Bohn. The greats at least provide a glimpse or a flash of what could be. There was an outlier with the Hawkins victory over OU, but that still trumps anything we have done in the last 10 years.

Stop settling. Hawkins couldn't take us where we wanted to go, Bohn was outclassed and Mickmac has a low ceiling. Don't be afraid of change, look where RG has gotten us in a short time.

I would hope we would have the wisdom to keep mac another year, but I don't see it happening. We have a tough schedule this year, are installing a new offense and have real questions on the OL. Add to that Sefo might not be ready (even if he says he is) and this is two or three more key injuries from being a two win season. The alumni won't let mac have another two win season. It is what it will be, but I don't see any coach that could have done much better. Our problems went way deeper than HC.

I would hope we would have the wisdom to keep mac another year, but I don't see it happening. We have a tough schedule this year, are installing a new offense and have real questions on the OL. Add to that Sefo might not be ready (even if he says he is) and this is two or three more key injuries from being a two win season. The alumni won't let mac have another two win season. It is what it will be, but I don't see any coach that could have done much better. Our problems went way deeper than HC.
Hahaha, I'd say bust out the popcorn but it's stale

MM is largely responsible for the table set for him this season. Those OL issues, and QB issues, among others, weren't inevitable even given the hole he had to dig out of. If he's still a couple injuries away from a 2 win season, then that's on him.

Time for a bowl, given time and multiple investments in the program. Will be a challenge to get there given schedule, and QB equation, but it's time.

I feel like we keep having the same conversation wether it be Hawkins,Embree and Bohn. The greats at least provide a glimpse or a flash of what could be. There was an outlier with the Hawkins victory over OU, but that still trumps anything we have done in the last 10 years.

Stop settling. Hawkins couldn't take us where we wanted to go, Bohn was outclassed and Mickmac has a low ceiling. Don't be afraid of change, look where RG has gotten us in a short time.

As others have pointed out his WBB hire was meh. Lets see how she does. If both the BB and Volleyball hires are flops your concerned needle needs to rise.

He did build a nice building and bring back expensive beer that you cant take to your seat though.

IMO, RG wants the buffs to contend to pac 12 south titles so even if mac makes a bowl game this year that really doesn't prove he can do that unless he shows his biggest hurdle was showing recruits they could win. obviously RG burned some bridges with fans when he didn't fire Mac last year after a disappointing season but I believe he still has expectations for the program, 4 head coaches in 6 years is just too difficult to overcome.

Thats because CU became a dog**** program that included tremendous academic oversight and meddling. A fact not lost on the coaching world as they watched us issue one self inflicted wound after another. So yeah, 4 coaches in 6 years is the mathematical outcome. We seem to have finally left that behind us by adding nice facilities and showing consistency with how we treat our coaches. The meddling seems to be behind us. RG is setting himself up (or the next AD up) for making a good hire. At the very least MM will have left the program better than he found it in terms of talent to work with.

Were still a long way from P12S title games.

I feel like you are not reading the posts. Hawkins' extension was a mistake because it locked the school in way too much. You can extend a coach without fully committing yourself. Schools do it all the time.

And WTF with that last paragraph? Stop settling? You seriously think firing a coach who makes a bowl game in year four (the first bowl game in a decade) is a good idea?

The kind the Buffs don't need; "F" 'em! Front runner-band wagon jumpers anyway! They revel and rub your nose in their "fandom" when the Buffs win, then immediately demand "changes" when things go sideways in the least! (For Exhibit "A" of this sort of douchebaggery, see, Basketball, CU)

First, I'm not sure RG burned bridges with fans by not firing Mac last year - I think most people generally understood and were ok with it in the end.

Second, I wasn't a math major but this will be Mac's 4th year and before that we had Embree for 2 so I'm counting 2 head coaches in the last 6 years - who were the other 2?

First, I'm not sure RG burned bridges with fans by not firing Mac last year - I think most people generally understood and were ok with it in the end.

Second, I wasn't a math major but this will be Mac's 4th year and before that we had Embree for 2 so I'm counting 2 head coaches in the last 6 years - who were the other 2?
Last year was his third year so if they fired him after last season that would have been 4 coaches in 6 years.

The thing I keep reading is that we need to fire Coach Mac and bring in a HC who is an ace recruiting closer! Fantastic! Those guys are just laying around, available to scoop up. It's the whole grass is greener on the other side conundrum, aka, the George Karl situation. If Mac is fired, who can you convince to come in, when the perception is still poor? With those recruiting chops you all want?

The thing I keep reading is that we need to fire Coach Mac and bring in a HC who is an ace recruiting closer! Fantastic! Those guys are just laying around, available to scoop up. It's the whole grass is greener on the other side conundrum, aka, the George Karl situation. If Mac is fired, who can you convince to come in, when the perception is still poor? With those recruiting chops you all want?
George Karl was winning 50 games a year without a superstar in the NBA. Coach Mac hasn't been able to get the buffs into a bowl game when 85 out of 120 teams go. Huge difference. The grass might not be greener on the other side, but is definitely isn't worse than what we have.

Thats because CU became a dog**** program that included tremendous academic oversight and meddling. A fact not lost on the coaching world as they watched us issue one self inflicted wound after another. So yeah, 4 coaches in 6 years is the mathematical outcome. We seem to have finally left that behind us by adding nice facilities and showing consistency with how we treat our coaches. The meddling seems to be behind us. RG is setting himself up (or the next AD up) for making a good hire. At the very least MM will have left the program better than he found it in terms of talent to work with.

Were still a long way from P12S title games.
I agree with most of your post. One thing bugs me. Does he leave the program in a better place? I think he inherited a team with several NFL players, a workable QB and running backs. Admittedly there were huge holes within position groups. I think what he leaves his predecessor if he left today is a more consistent level of talent, but lower peaks in talent. Until he finally shook up his staff, he recruited at a mid mountain west level. I like his coaching, but at some point a well coached kid can't overcome his physical limitations. I see three wins this season. In my mind I want 6, and him to march on. I know a lot of you understand the individual players on this team better than me. I hope I am wrong and you are right.

George Karl was winning 50 games a year without a superstar in the NBA. Coach Mac hasn't been able to get the buffs into a bowl game when 85 out of 120 teams go. Huge difference. The grass might not be greener on the other side, but is definitely isn't worse than what we have.

My point is more that the coaches that you all are clamoring for already have big time jobs and are not coming to CU. Therefore, if Mac is fired, there is absolutely zero guarantee that the next guy will be any better.

My point is more that the coaches that you all are clamoring for already have big time jobs and are not coming to CU. Therefore, if Mac is fired, there is absolutely zero guarantee that the next guy will be any better.
The real question is could next guy be worse? Do you really think the odds are high the next guy posts a P12 record worse than 2-25? It is almost statistically impossible.

I feel like you are not reading the posts. Hawkins' extension was a mistake because it locked the school in way too much. You can extend a coach without fully committing yourself. Schools do it all the time.

And WTF with that last paragraph? Stop settling? You seriously think firing a coach who makes a bowl game in year four (the first bowl game in a decade) is a good idea?

I agree. If MacIntyre makes a bowl there is virtually no chance that he's going to be fired.

Making a bowl eligibility shows there has been an improvement in the win column. Which would be icing on the cake compared to other metrics his previous predecessors struggled with; attracting and keeping quality assistant coaches. Effective talent acquisition that produces a well rounded and competitive team.

I know this last one will trigger some debate because he got off to a poor start. That said this class is better than the last class and the next class appears to be better this one. Which shows an ability to adapt from ones mistakes and take corrective measures.

The jury on his is still out.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would fire him after getting to a bowl game I just think extending him could still be in question.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would fire him after getting to a bowl game I just think extending him could still be in question.
If CU makes a bowl, I would say keep him and give him the one year rolling extensions that have been the norm, at least from what I understand. I would not say give him any more of an extension than one year.

I agree with most of your post. One thing bugs me. Does he leave the program in a better place? I think he inherited a team with several NFL players, a workable QB and running backs. Admittedly there were huge holes within position groups. I think what he leaves his predecessor if he left today is a more consistent level of talent, but lower peaks in talent. Until he finally shook up his staff, he recruited at a mid mountain west level. I like his coaching, but at some point a well coached kid can't overcome his physical limitations. I see three wins this season. In my mind I want 6, and him to march on. I know a lot of you understand the individual players on this team better than me. I hope I am wrong and you are right.

I will concede that Embree was a good recruiter. After that....

What was in the past doesnt matter. Its the past. The reality today, here and now, is Mike MacIntyre is the HC and we cant change that.

Recruiting is improving is; 2017 Class appears to be > 2016 Class > 2015 Class before it.
Staff changes and corrections are occurring.
The job is a more attractive job today than it was when he was hired.
The jury is still out on MM.

Back