What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Montez vs. Noyer

Umm was gonna make a different thread about this upcoming part but nah this will work. For any of y'all, what is your favorite route in football? Mine, without a doubt, was the slant. You can block it up quick, get rid of it quick, run alot of different routes off it etc. You'd probably ask, what can you run off a slant but a sluggo? Completely untrue, you can run a 9, flatten off the slant to a drag, run it deeper as a post, depends on the look you get more than anything. Reason I bring this up is, I think it should be our main route to work off of. It's effective and efficient.

Something is seriously wrong with Montez mentally. It's something that will take time and not sure what you do at this point. The play calling didn't help him at all last night, but he could not do anything right. Pulling him was the right thing to do.

Something is seriously wrong with Montez mentally. It's something that will take time and not sure what you do at this point. The play calling didn't help him at all last night, but he could not do anything right. Pulling him was the right thing to do.
I think slants, quick ours or stops, nines, and maybe some fade stops could get him into rhythm, don't believe he ever has been honestly.

I think slants, quick ours or stops, nines, and maybe some fade stops could get him into rhythm, don't believe he ever has been honestly.
It would not have mattered last night. They tried a few easy throws and he promptly threw them in the ground. There is a gigantic mental issue right now.

Barnett thinks it's going to be Noyer. He sighted Noyer holding his ground in the pocket and actually getting the ball out of his hand giving the receivers a chance at a catch. He believes Montez will be out until his mind resets: he gave multiple examples when Montez flushed when delivering from the pocket was the correct decision.

We ran a couple quick slants early against washington and then forgot that play existed, and also forgot juwann winfree existed.
CL had some good breakdowns on this on scout, basically teams know Montez likes to throw slangs and they take it away and want him to throw deep/outside.

The offense is such a **** show I'm not sure it matters who is QB.

Barnett thinks it's going to be Noyer. He sighted Noyer holding his ground in the pocket and actually getting the ball out of his hand giving the receivers a chance at a catch. He believes Montez will be out until his mind resets: he gave multiple examples when Montez flushed when delivering from the pocket was the correct decision.

And when Noyer is running for his life on a regular basis like Montez has had to do, and Sefo before him, what happens then? The OL shouldn't be this bad 5 years in to the MM era. Its getting to the point where its a pleasant surprise when the OL actually does form a pocket. MM and his offensive staff are setting their QB's up to fail.

CL had some good breakdowns on this on scout, basically teams know Montez likes to throw slangs and they take it away and want him to throw deep/outside.
You can still run a slant if they try and take it away. I assume you mean the corners or dbs are playing inside technique? You can still get inside but it's not exactly easy. I'd think Chev would be teaching these guys that.

Noyer is not a passer --- his accuracy will not be good enough in the long run but may be good for a game or two until defense figure him out which will not take long.

I guess all the projections that Montez is better than Sefo were off the Mark.

Noyer is not a passer --- his accuracy will not be good enough in the long run but may be good for a game or two until defense figure him out which will not take long.

I guess all the projections that Montez is better than Sefo were off the Mark.
As bad as Montez has been, he still has a higher passer rating this year than Sefo had his sophomore year.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/3052118/type/college/sefo-liufau
http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/3915436/steven-montez

I'm not defending Montez as being great right now - we all know that isn't true. We just forget how long it took for Sefo to become better than average.

Wasn’t it a slant route when Montez misread the defense and delivered a beautiful pick-6 to UCLA? On a similar note, Moeller gifted the exact same treat and promptly refused the offer last night

The catch 22 is Montez has the weapons...but it's already been shown that our coaching staff has zero desire in allowing him to flex them. Instead they force runs up the middle and slow developing pass plays where Stevie Football ends up getting happy feet and taking off backwards instead of stepping up and getting 5-10 yards by scrambling.

The o-line has not been coached well in sustaining blocks/knowing where Montez is going, so after an initial engagement the defensive front 7 is allowed to run free.

I'd go with Noyer. He's shown that he's a better leader and even if his arm strength is mediocre, it's not like we're connecting on deep balls anyways. Tired of folks saying Montez is "young" the dude is in his third year and if I remember correctly also enrolled early?

As bad as Montez has been, he still has a higher passer rating this year than Sefo had his sophomore year.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/3052118/type/college/sefo-liufau
http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/3915436/steven-montez

I'm not defending Montez as being great right now - we all know that isn't true. We just forget how long it took for Sefo to become better than average.

Nice shot at trying to revise things. Many on this board said they believed that Montez was an absolute stud and the Buffs would be better THIS YEAR with Montez. Some were claiming he was better than the Broncos QBs (a low bar). Remember the state of the team in 2014 - Sefo was throwing over 40 times a game with no rushing attack to support him.

Nice shot at trying to revise things. Many on this board said they believed that Montez was an absolute stud and the Buffs would be better THIS YEAR with Montez. Some were claiming he was better than the Broncos QBs (a low bar). Remember the state of the team in 2014 - Sefo was throwing over 40 times a game with no rushing attack to support him.
Dude - you don't have to be a dick and act like you are smarter than everyone else with every post.

What I think or thought and what the various others may think or thought are two different things. Just because some people say things doesn't mean "the board" is some universal single extended entity like the Borg.

The offense broke down last night because WSU focused on stopping Lindsay. Thats what they said they were going to do. That is what they did. The new philosophy from our O-coordinators was ball control. We found out that they didn't have a plan B when they took away Lindsay as Mr ball-control. Shame on the offensive prep this week. That's one reason why our QBs looked bad...all of them

Montez is a talented QB, and we are lucky to have him. ...don't know his personality well, or how he would respond, but it might be good to be a back-up and come in loose when Noyer falls. He might need his 'time in the desert' to become the leader we need him to be.

The offense broke down last night because WSU focused on stopping Lindsay. Thats what they said they were going to do. That is what they did. The new philosophy from our O-coordinators was ball control. We found out that they didn't have a plan B when they took away Lindsay as Mr ball-control. Shame on the offensive prep this week. That's one reason why our QBs looked bad...all of them

Montez is a talented QB, and we are lucky to have him. ...don't know his personality well, or how he would respond, but it might be good to be a back-up and come in loose when Noyer falls. He might need his 'time in the desert' to become the leader we need him to be.
I mean that is only logical, if you play a running team in terrible weather you stop the run and make them pass the ball and beat man to man coverage deep. Look at what the weather did to the WSU offense. There was multiple times where we had one on one coverage on the Big side of the field with 8 guys in the box but those throws are going to be tough, especially when you dont have confidence in your quarterback the last two games.

It sure looks to me like no one on the team from players to coaches respect him. It's hard to lead when you don't have respect and once you've lost it it is hard to get it back. I think the ship has sailed on that for this season.

I mean that is only logical, if you play a running team in terrible weather you stop the run and make them pass the ball and beat man to man coverage deep. Look at what the weather did to the WSU offense. There was multiple times where we had one on one coverage on the Big side of the field with 8 guys in the box but those throws are going to be tough, especially when you dont have confidence in your quarterback the last two games.

WSU was more than one dimensional. They had a short passing game and even Faulk ran it.

Montez changed when he was told to stay in the pocket. I'm not saying that's the wrong instruction, it is the right instruction, but it is the moment he changed. No more "gunslinger". Deer in the headlights trying to overthink it. You'd think the aspect that it also caused him to throw fewer interceptions would be a good thing, but it isn't. He is totally out of his game now. Not sure it makes a difference now.

It sure looks to me like no one on the team from players to coaches respect him. It's hard to lead when you don't have respect and once you've lost it it is hard to get it back. I think the ship has sailed on that for this season.
hope not, but it is possible.

WSU was more than one dimensional. They had a short passing game and even Faulk ran it.
I wouldn’t really call fall running the ball another dimension, it was more of a breakdown in pass rush. The short passing game was just average last night, the offense didn’t really do that much damage against us considering we couldn’t move the ball and put up 0 points.

I wouldn’t really call fall running the ball another dimension, it was more of a breakdown in pass rush. The short passing game was just average last night, the offense didn’t really do that much damage against us considering we couldn’t move the ball and put up 0 points.

The D played good last night, or at least WSU couldn't attack their weaknesses. ...but WSU wasn't one dimensional. We were one dimensional.

Back