What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Montez vs. Noyer

#TeamMontez all the way!

The kid is a baller, strong arm, tough, physical, but clearly has a long way to go in terms of the mental side of the game. However, having a VERY weak OL doesn't help in his development. He has no time to go through progressions, he is immediately scrambling. Sometimes too soon, I saw this as a Skins fan with Patrick Ramsey. The OL in Washington ruined his career. Our WR's have quit too, Shay is extremely frustrated on lack of deep ball connections and Ross has no idea how to find the soft spot when Montez is scrambling. Hard to believe I am now more excited about next years WR class than this years. KD, Viska, Ento, Winfree, J-Mac will be better.

Noyer may be a good kid, but I see no flash of anything special in his very limited playing time. Love the open comp., but seriously, NO chance Noyer gets the start.
I agree with some of that but not all. I've seen him not go through progression plenty when it was blocked up for him. First thought, he's thinking too damn much. Understandable when he doesn't have consistent protection. I saw at least three huge plays lost in the Wazzu game because he flat missed the read or his clock got to running too fast he took off or tried to. Make no mistake, some of it is on Montez as well.

Last edited:
If nothing else, it certainly makes it harder for Cal to prepare for Saturday, given the style differences in the two QBs.

I heard this vs Oregon State by Gary Barnett:
"Montez cannot anticipate a receiver coming open" or something to that effect. A weaker armed QB must anticipate and get the ball moving in the air early enough, or it will never get there and the DB can adjust. Montez instead can missile it in there, but he waits until the WR "is open", not "coming open". He can do that, as long as the WR actually "gets open".

I think it goes a step further in that "Montez can't anticipate that the WR will NOT be open", and locks on too long, preventing him from getting thru any progressions.
Gary nailed it with this comment. Extremely slow reads, lack of willingness/ability(?) to throw to a spot rather than a receiver and the inability to throw a man open is what is troubling. All fixable, but all should have been addressed in the off season.

Edit: Looks like Montez deleted tweet.
That dude just needs to shut his mouth and focus on his game at this point. He's a bottom third Pac 12 QB right now, has one conference win, and hasn't played all that well, outside of a few stretches in a few games. He's getting harder and harder to root for as the season goes on with his antics after he does anything good, and that Tweet doesn't help. He went from, "I'm the best player on the field. Nobody is going to stop this offense" during the preseason, to "So much disrespect out there" after losing his 4th conference game by way of shut out. Yeah, Steven, there is well deserved disrespect for the offense and as the QB, that starts with you.

kid has a ton of talent.....i want to lay this at the staffs feet....a total regression from previous year????...unacceptable

kid has a ton of talent.....i want to lay this at the staffs feet....a total regression from previous year????...unacceptable

Maybe or maybe he isn't as good as we thought he was. Sometimes QBs come in and have a few good games and they don't make a jump. Hard to say at this point.

I almost want to see Noyer. Not because I think he is a savior but to give something to compare Montez to. Does he make better reads? Does he throw a WR open? Or does he make the same mistakes and we can kind of start looking more at the staff.

Does he have a ton of talent? We were his only P5 offer, and the story that continues to circulate about what impressed our staff the most was watching him play basketball... He seems to have a strong arm, yet can't throw the deep ball in a 7 on 7 game. He has been in this offense for almost 3 years now and struggles mightily on making his reads and going through his progressions. He can run a little, but nobody is going to mistake him for Lamar Jackson, and he struggles in adverse weather conditions. Outside of the Oregon game last year and a few stretches this year, have we really seen much from him to suggest that he has a ton of talent?

When did it become normal for a football player to join a frat? I don't think football players have the time, nor do they have the need to have a "fraternity of brothers". That's called your team! There's your fraternity. Did something change in this regard? I can't even picture Sefo in a fraternity. Did I miss something?

When did it become normal for a football player to join a frat? I don't think football players have the time, nor do they have the need to have a "fraternity of brothers". That's called your team! There's your fraternity. Did something change in this regard? I can't even picture Sefo in a fraternity. Did I miss something?

I am not sure on if it is normal. I assume it is not very common but I could be wrong. I don't remember any previous player being so visible about it at Colorado or anywhere else.

That dude just needs to shut his mouth and focus on his game at this point. He's a bottom third Pac 12 QB right now, has one conference win, and hasn't played all that well, outside of a few stretches in a few games. He's getting harder and harder to root for as the season goes on with his antics after he does anything good, and that Tweet doesn't help. He went from, "I'm the best player on the field. Nobody is going to stop this offense" during the preseason, to "So much disrespect out there" after losing his 4th conference game by way of shut out. Yeah, Steven, there is well deserved disrespect for the offense and as the QB, that starts with you.
Shutting his mouth would be a start. Plus you might not wanna put it on the net, less headache.

Montez has an incredible arm. Seriously, name another QB in the P12 who can sling it like he can? I honestly think he has the strongest arm in the conference.

That said, his mental approach to the game sucks. It is a mystery why he played so well against Oregon, presumably using a similar offense, and then sucked ass this year.

I put this on the coaches. What they were doing during spring and fall camp is beyond me. Either you see the problem and correct it, or realize you can't and go to the next guy.

He has very good mobility. He can be a game changer. But, in HS, he wasn't on the team, he was the team. He needs to have that coached out of him. He is in his third year on campus, again, that is the coaches job.

Noyer, on the other hand, is a kid who has clearly honed his skills and is a technically sound QB, but limited in his gifts. He moves well in the pocket, senses pressure, delivers the ball timely. His accuracy is somewhat suspect at times, and his mobility is limited. But he is not going to kill you. He is very steady.

So you have a potential game changer who can make throws all but about a dozen guys in CFB can only dream about, runs like a deer, but has a poor grasp on the mental side, or a very heady, technically polished, but physically limited kid. Who do you start? Hell if I know.

Montez has an incredible arm. Seriously, name another QB in the P12 who can sling it like he can? I honestly think he has the strongest arm in the conference.

That said, his mental approach to the game sucks. It is a mystery why he played so well against Oregon, presumably using a similar offense, and then sucked ass this year.

I put this on the coaches. What they were doing during spring and fall camp is beyond me. Either you see the problem and correct it, or realize you can't and go to the next guy.

He has very good mobility. He can be a game changer. But, in HS, he wasn't on the team, he was the team. He needs to have that coached out of him. He is in his third year on campus, again, that is the coaches job.

Noyer, on the other hand, is a kid who has clearly honed his skills and is a technically sound QB, but limited in his gifts. He moves well in the pocket, senses pressure, delivers the ball timely. His accuracy is somewhat suspect at times, and his mobility is limited. But he is not going to kill you. He is very steady.

So you have a potential game changer who can make throws all but about a dozen guys in CFB can only dream about, runs like a deer, but has a poor grasp on the mental side, or a very heady, technically polished, but physically limited kid. Who do you start? Hell if I know.
Is this post supposed to be satirical? Serious question; can't tell... You are giving far too much credit to Montez's arm talent and even more to his mobility. Again, I keep hearing that he has all this arm talent, yet he has continually missed wide open receivers 40+ yards down field.

The coaches should be kicking the tires on transfer QBs if they are not truly sold on Montez (and I do not think they Are sold).

What was the tweet?

Is this post supposed to be satirical? Serious question; can't tell... You are giving far too much credit to Montez's arm talent and even more to his mobility. Again, I keep hearing that he has all this arm talent, yet he has continually missed wide open receivers 40+ yards down field.
Arm strength =/ accuracy. He has an incredibly strong arm. Accuracy has been suspect, and getting worse by the week. The fact he is running for his life on nearly every pass play doesn't help, but still.....

He is way more mobile than Sefo and Noyer. No, he isn't Lamar Jackson, but again, name me a more mobile P12 QB, other than Tate and Dawkins. Maybe the guy at Utah? Darnold? He is at least in the top half of P12 QB's mobility wise. Sefo got yards by channeling his inner Csonka. Don't get me wrong, loved Sefo's grit, but Montez can run.

What was the tweet?
Something the to effect of, "So much disrespect out there right now" with a crying laughing emoji and a few others. He also tweeted the below out in response to Howell's Tweet about the QB competition being open this week. It just feels like he thinks this is still Spring and Fall camp or that losing games and playing poorly isn't as important as putting on this "confident" front.

Yeah...what nonsense did the "best player on the field" tweet? His public bravado during camp was unsettling. Great QBs don't wear their confidence on their sleeves; they show it in their play. He thought he would be tearing it up this season. It has not happened and he is not responding well to it.

Something the to effect of, "So much disrespect out there right now" with a crying laughing emoji and a few others. He also tweeted the below out in response to Howell's Tweet about the QB competition being open this week. It just feels like he thinks this is still Spring and Fall camp or that losing games and playing poorly isn't as important as putting on this "confident" front.

OK, what does the "100" emoji mean anyway?

The so much disrespect was in reference to a joke tweet with Kennedy Leonard throwing a football during practice and someone saying she is the best QB in campus.

Yeah...what nonsense did the "best player on the field" tweet? His public bravado during camp was unsettling. Great QBs don't wear their confidence on their sleeves; they show it in their play. He thought he would be tearing it up this season. It has not happened and he is not responding well to it.

Some great QBs do indeed wear their confidence on their sleeves.

Arm strength =/ accuracy. He has an incredibly strong arm. Accuracy has been suspect, and getting worse by the week. The fact he is running for his life on nearly every pass play doesn't help, but still.....

He is way more mobile than Sefo and Noyer. No, he isn't Lamar Jackson, but again, name me a more mobile P12 QB, other than Tate and Dawkins. Maybe the guy at Utah? Darnold? He is at least in the top half of P12 QB's mobility wise. Sefo got yards by channeling his inner Csonka. Don't get me wrong, loved Sefo's grit, but Montez can run.
Fair enough. He definitely has a strong arm, but I just feel like he's missing routine throws that just about every other P12 QB would make. As for his mobility, I think he's faster and slightly more agile than Sefo, but that shouldn't be a benchmark. He's definitely a wizard at getting out of trouble in the pocket, but I don't think his mobility is anything special.

Some great QBs do indeed wear their confidence on their sleeves.
And deliver on the field or are made to look like idiots. If you are going public with your bravado, then you had better deliver. Brees, Rogers, Brady, Elway, Montana....quiet confidence. Deliver in the clutch. Not many loud mouths out there succeed....

And deliver on the field or are made to look like idiots. If you are going public with your bravado, then you had better deliver. Brees, Rogers, Brady, Elway, Montana....quiet confidence. Deliver in the clutch. Not many loud mouths out there succeed....

Rodgers, Brady, and Elway had/have "quiet" confidence? Wut?

Never heard any of them...BEFORE they became great, utter "I am the best player on the field"...ever. Show me the money!!!! They just won baby....They may come out and say they are going to win....and be confident in the team. Brady has commented many times that being a low draft choice still motivates him. I guess we can agree to disagree. Montez had not proven jack except a few plug in performances that caught many people off guard....and yet he is the next coming according to him. Okey dokey. Never would have heard Sefo echo those sentiments.

Back