What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Montez vs. Noyer

Montez changed when he was told to stay in the pocket. I'm not saying that's the wrong instruction, it is the right instruction, but it is the moment he changed. No more "gunslinger". Deer in the headlights trying to overthink it. You'd think the aspect that it also caused him to throw fewer interceptions would be a good thing, but it isn't. He is totally out of his game now. Not sure it makes a difference now.
Good catch and totally agree with, 108 passes without an Int currently but not much else to go with the stat couple of TD throws to Bobo is about it. The "old" Montez if there was such a thing is probably a thing of the past now.

Montez changed when he was told to stay in the pocket. I'm not saying that's the wrong instruction, it is the right instruction, but it is the moment he changed. No more "gunslinger". Deer in the headlights trying to overthink it. You'd think the aspect that it also caused him to throw fewer interceptions would be a good thing, but it isn't. He is totally out of his game now. Not sure it makes a difference now.

I think this is the case. At first, I thought it was him maturing and taking the easy passes. I remember the first or second drive of the CSU game. He kept taking these short passes and he looked very natural making them. I thought that this was going to be a nice complement to the boneheaded passes that I saw from him last year.
I don't know where it went wrong, but now, he doesn't seem to throw any "questionable" passes anymore. I think this is why he keeps having to scramble every other play. The 50/50 or 60/40 decisions seem to have been beaten out of him.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I probably mistook fear for maturity.

Last edited:
The offensive design is a cluster f*** combination of whatever Lindgren ran in college or saw on Youtube. We have a top 5 running back that has pounded the rock for over 1,000 yards and I only saw 1 freaking play action pass. Teams know that as soon as the ball is not given to Lindsay, then you can just run after Montez and chaos will ensue. The best plays that I have seen involve some kind of pre-snap motion to get the defense thinking, followed by a solid ball fake, either RPO or a true play action ball fake, then a roll out into clean space, then Montez sets his feet and hits a receiver that ran their route based off the original motion. Running PL sets this up. I do not think PL should be ran straight up the middle all the time, rather the plays that WSU ran with the stretch runs, or the toss play that Noyer ran on his first play works well, and can even be used as a toss RPO. Finally, we have one of the greatest option QB's on the offensive staff, and I never see a creative little option pitch game???
Basically, I think Montez has things to fix no doubt, but the offense is so not built for him, nor are the play calls designed to string together a cohesive plan of allowing one play to set up another and then continue to confuse the defense.
We must win on Saturday, and we must go to a bowl, and Montez is the best option!!!
Also need a better schedule in the future that puts a bye week in the middle of the season so you can step back and refocus.

The offensive design is a cluster f*** combination of whatever Lindgren ran in college or saw on Youtube. We have a top 5 running back that has pounded the rock for over 1,000 yards and I only saw 1 freaking play action pass. Teams know that as soon as the ball is not given to Lindsay, then you can just run after Montez and chaos will ensue. The best plays that I have seen involve some kind of pre-snap motion to get the defense thinking, followed by a solid ball fake, either RPO or a true play action ball fake, then a roll out into clean space, then Montez sets his feet and hits a receiver that ran their route based off the original motion. Running PL sets this up. I do not think PL should be ran straight up the middle all the time, rather the plays that WSU ran with the stretch runs, or the toss play that Noyer ran on his first play works well, and can even be used as a toss RPO. Finally, we have one of the greatest option QB's on the offensive staff, and I never see a creative little option pitch game???
Basically, I think Montez has things to fix no doubt, but the offense is so not built for him, nor are the play calls designed to string together a cohesive plan of allowing one play to set up another and then continue to confuse the defense.
We must win on Saturday, and we must go to a bowl, and Montez is the best option!!!
Also need a better schedule in the future that puts a bye week in the middle of the season so you can step back and refocus.
Thanks for saving me the time...couldn't have have wrote it better myself. I'll add, please stop playing musical chairs at center pick one any one and stay with them it's getting ridiculous ask Noyer.

Not even close if you watched the game. Noyer should start. Montez is an athlete but something has happened mentally and a single week isn’t going to make the right for him. Kid needs to regain his confidence and study, study, study. Let Noyer practice with the ones this week. When he goes out and plays better than Montez has been next week that should light a fire under Montez.

Danny Sheridan has Colorado as 4 point favorite. Kind of surprising when Mac says he doesn't know who will start at QB.

The inexperience of Montez has shown all year, and I guess nobody here really thought that would be a big deal after watching him succeed with less experience last year. I have to assume that this is a huge growing year for him as a player and that he will be more prepared going into 2018, but we were also his only P5 offer for a reason (probably because nobody else watched him drop 40 in a basketball game, amirite??). Hopefully this competition with Noyer and the presence of Lytle humbles him a little and forces him to focus more going forward.

Watching the games on TV is frustrating because you hardly ever see downfield. So when the QB goes back to pass, the camera focusses on him. Do any of you have a sense of what is going on with our receivers? Are they not getting open or is Montez just not finding them? Another question is are we running routes over the middle? I saw a couple of replays showing endzone shots of Montez and there were no receivers anywhere to be seen. Something is terribly wrong with our passing game but I can't figure it out. At games, it looks like Montez is not picking up open receivers. On TV its hard to tell what the hell is going on.

Wasn’t it a slant route when Montez misread the defense and delivered a beautiful pick-6 to UCLA? On a similar note, Moeller gifted the exact same treat and promptly refused the offer last night
That was more like a curl, wasn't it?

Whoever is going to play QB needs to have WRs who are running hard and creating separation. The sulking and lack of effort from Fields and Ross are driving me as crazy as any of the other current woes.

They have the cool nickname and scary mask stuff down. The being good at football part? Not so much.

They have the cool nickname and scary mask stuff down. The being good at football part? Not so much.
Yeah, the "BlackOutBoyz" moniker should probably be taken away by Chev, at this point. Something that group has to "earn" back. The mask thing in pregame just sums up this entire Senior class (outside of Phil), IMO. They read way too many press clippings about how good they were and resting on the laurels of last year's team. Seems more important to them to look good and talk a big game than actually play well.

Whoever is going to play QB needs to have WRs who are running hard and creating separation. The sulking and lack of effort from Fields and Ross are driving me as crazy as any of the other current woes.

You and me both. How can Montez scramble around for a legit 5 to 10 seconds sometimes and nobody ever has any separation? It's nearly impossible to chase a guy with your back to the ball or some open space not to develop from a safety giving help on a deep route after that amount of time. 100% effort.

I have no idea why we aren't rotating Shenault and Nixon in more (or at all the last few weeks). Both have shown flashes (especially Shenault) of huge potential. Are the coaches concerned that it might upset the seniors? Well good, maybe that will light a fire under their asses. There is literally no downside. If they didn't look ready or overmatched, I get it, but Shenault already looks the part physically and you can see teams purposely kicking away from Nixon. It's sad when other coaches can see it but we won't cut them loose. Montez and Noyer will be playing with them next year and beyond, give them some reps.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Nixon transfers after this year. They completely wasted a year of his eligibility for what? So he could touch the ball 2 or 3 times during the season? As a result, he still has his redshirt available and wouldn't have to waste a year if he transfers. Can't imagine he is impressed with the coaching staff's ability to scheme ways to utilize his abilities

I heard this vs Oregon State by Gary Barnett:
"Montez cannot anticipate a receiver coming open" or something to that effect. A weaker armed QB must anticipate and get the ball moving in the air early enough, or it will never get there and the DB can adjust. Montez instead can missile it in there, but he waits until the WR "is open", not "coming open". He can do that, as long as the WR actually "gets open".

I think it goes a step further in that "Montez can't anticipate that the WR will NOT be open", and locks on too long, preventing him from getting thru any progressions.

#TeamMontez all the way!

The kid is a baller, strong arm, tough, physical, but clearly has a long way to go in terms of the mental side of the game. However, having a VERY weak OL doesn't help in his development. He has no time to go through progressions, he is immediately scrambling. Sometimes too soon, I saw this as a Skins fan with Patrick Ramsey. The OL in Washington ruined his career. Our WR's have quit too, Shay is extremely frustrated on lack of deep ball connections and Ross has no idea how to find the soft spot when Montez is scrambling. Hard to believe I am now more excited about next years WR class than this years. KD, Viska, Ento, Winfree, J-Mac will be better.

Noyer may be a good kid, but I see no flash of anything special in his very limited playing time. Love the open comp., but seriously, NO chance Noyer gets the start.

They are just two completely different quarterbacks and it depends on what Lindgren wants. I will say the best way to beat a pass rush is to get the ball out of you hand quickly which is what Noyer does when I have watched him. Noyer throws the ball before the receiver is through his route and hits him right out of his break. I don't think Noyer is near the threat in the run game despite the coaches saying he is the most athletic during the spring so that mobility of Montez will be lost but if Montez isn't going through his reads I don't really see him playing this weekend unless he picked it up this week in practice.

Back