What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2016 Coaching Carousel Thread - How safe is Kevin Sumlin´s job?

A few of the Huskers in my neighborhood are convinced that Mike Riley will be fired at the end of the season. I was like, "Great idea!"

A few of the Huskers in my neighborhood are convinced that Mike Riley will be fired at the end of the season. I was like, "Great idea!"

You have to wonder how a guy who had 3 losing seasons in his previous 5 gets the Nebraska job in the first place. It was a strange hire. And I like Riley.

I gotta respect Miami for pulling the trigger now as opposed to waiting until the season ended. Smart move and it sends the appropriate message. I said it at the time and it's still true today - Hawkins should have been fired about ten minutes after that debacle in Berkely. He shouldn't have been allowed on the team bus. THATS how to fire a coach.

Bruce Feldman mentioned Mario Christobal (OL coach at Bama) as the leading candidate (in his mind) for the Miami job.

Last edited:
You have to wonder how a guy who had 3 losing seasons in his previous 5 gets the ****braska job in the first place. It was a strange hire. And I like Riley.
Nebraska has consistently not been content with winning 9 games or so. Now they will have two consecutive coaches piggy backing off 9 Win coaches with losing coaches. Nebraska is not patient and I believe Riley in both his recruiting/coaching to end at OSU and his start to Nebraska will cause Nebraska to can him if he doesn't have a winning record. 5-7 is a likely scenario. Nebraska settled IMO.

His dad was a pro coach, he has been in the league.

He is a big enough name that he could get a bunch more money than the significant amount he already gets at UCLA. There is also the appeal of coaching at the highest level.

There is also the reality that even with their current state of disorganization USC will always be the top dog in LA. It looks like some of the teflon is starting to peel off Pat Haden and assuming they get a competent AD in his place they will have their choice of coaches. USC has never had a problem recruiting, even against UCLA so Mora may want to move on if he gets the right offer.

Mora has been an NFL Head coach twice so there is no mystery for him. - Texas offered him a boat load of money to go there and he turned it down. The link below shows how he feels about moving.
http://espn.go.com/college-football...s-why-spurned-texas-longhorns-stay-losangeles

Being number two to USC is not a big thing (a typical mtn overstatement). You can loose a few 5 stars to USC and still have a top 5 recruiting class. The SoCal area is loaded with HS talent - UCLA will have enough to compete regardless of the Trojans.

CU fans want Mora to move on but it is not happening. What is sad is that Mora was interested in the CU job when Hawkins was fired and put feelers out but was not considered.

****braska has consistently not been content with winning 9 games or so. Now they will have two consecutive coaches piggy backing off 9 Win coaches with losing coaches. ****braska is not patient and I believe Riley in both his recruiting/coaching to end at OSU and his start to ****braska will cause ****braska to can him if he doesn't have a winning record. 5-7 is a likely scenario. ****braska settled IMO.

Nebraska fired Pelini thinking they were not just an elite program but a blue blood program that would have it's choice of coaches.

They got shot down by the first couple guys they went after. When that happened It think they panicked and took Riley afraid that they would be shut out for a "big name" coach..

The news for them is that if they fire Riley they still won't be an elite program anymore. Recruits don't want to spend 4-5 years in the middle of the prairie unless they have a very good reason to do so. When kNU was winning 10+ games a year that was enough to draw talent, now what they are doing isn't.

They aren't likely to stay this far down but they aren't getting the talent or performance that tOSU, MSU, or even Mich is. They are behind Wisconsin in appeal and maybe Northwestern. As much as I hate them I'd put Pedo State ahead of the fuskers in recruit appeal as well.

They used to recruit the core of their team out of Texas but now since they don't play down there that is much harder for them.

Going to be a rough few years for the red polyester crowd as reality doesn't meet expectations.

Mora has been an NFL Head coach twice so there is no mystery for him. - Texas offered him a boat load of money to go there and he turned it down. The link below shows how he feels about moving.
http://espn.go.com/college-football...s-why-spurned-texas-longhorns-stay-losangeles

Being number two to USC is not a big thing (a typical mtn overstatement). You can loose a few 5 stars to USC and still have a top 5 recruiting class. The SoCal area is loaded with HS talent - UCLA will have enough to compete regardless of the Trojans.

CU fans want Mora to move on but it is not happening. What is sad is that Mora was interested in the CU job when Hawkins was fired and put feelers out but was not considered.

Mora does a great job against USC too despite losing some recruits. He has beaten them every year I believe and it seems like his team has a little of the little brother chip on the shoulder when they play because that has been their best performance of the year the last couple games.

I still believe he wants to go to the NFL again though.

Don't get me wrong, Miami is a good job, but it's not a great job. The facilities are surprisingly weak for a p5 team, they play an hour away from their campus, and they don't have tremendous alumni/booster support. Obviously great history and recruiting ground. I would put that job somewhere between South Carolina and possibly even as low as Maryland. They won't be competing with USC for a coach this offseason, if for no other reason because they won't have $25+ mil to throw at an established coach.

I'm still miffed about this.

Reason to be.

The administration in Boulder at that time was ridiculously negligent in managing the football program.

If we put a quality product on the field we have donors who are willing to step up and make it financially worth doing. Unfortunately we still have some of those people around who live in the fantasy world that says that if those people don't donate it to football they will put it into some pet academic area, doesn't work that way but they don't figure it out.

We seem to have a strong enough Athletic Director at the moment to fight for the program and after years of neglect the Presidents office figured out that a lousy football program was costing the school money and publicity.

Don't get me wrong, Miami is a good job, but it's not a great job. The facilities are surprisingly weak for a p5 team, they play an hour away from their campus, and they don't have tremendous alumni/booster support. Obviously great history and recruiting ground. I would put that job somewhere between South Carolina and possibly even as low as Maryland. They won't be competing with USC for a coach this offseason, if for no other reason because they won't have $25+ mil to throw at an established coach.

If I had to list the places where I think it's possible to win 2 or more national titles in a 5 year period, it's a short list and Miami is on it. Maybe at the top of it.

Bruce Feldman mentioned Mario Christobal (OL coach at Bama) as the leading candidate (in his mind) for the Miami job.

The Miami search is going to be epic-Rich Eisen interviewed Ed Reed (who has no coaching experience whatsoever) today......Let me preface this by saying I read and didn't hear it.....but Reed said he's interested. LOL-seems like the ex-players are running the show. As far as Cristobal, didn't he have a losing record at FIU? The let's go back to the glory days thing never works out-as we've experienced. I think Dan Campbell (the Dolphins interim) might also be a factor there if he doesn't get the Phins gig. Young guy (I think he's 39) and his personality seems better suited to college.

The Miami search is going to be epic-Rich Eisen interviewed Ed Reed (who has no coaching experience whatsoever) today......Let me preface this by saying I read and didn't hear it.....but Reed said he's interested. LOL-seems like the ex-players are running the show. As far as Cristobal, didn't he have a losing record at FIU? The let's go back to the glory days thing never works out-as we've experienced. I think Dan Campbell (the Dolphins interim) might also be a factor there if he doesn't get the Phins gig. Young guy (I think he's 39) and his personality seems better suited to college.

I am not a fan of Mark May but he ripped Miami a new one on Saturday. Called out ex players for complaining about coaching and dictating who gets the job while not donating to their school to upgrade facilities which are currently terrible. I thought it was funny.

Good question. Just based on their success this year and the turmoil that seemed to be going on between him and his AD right before the season, I'll say Whittingham is the most likely to leave.

I think Rich Rod leaves for Miami or South Carolina. If Whittingham doesn't go to USC, where does he go?

The answer is clearly Ray Lewis.

As long as Miami is located in Miami, the facilities are fine. I am going to make a guess and say 90% of this board hasn't visited Miami in the last 20 years. It isn't for everyone, but it's a party all the time. Hottest talent in the USA.

As long as Miami is located in Miami, the facilities are fine. I am going to make a guess and say 90% of this board hasn't visited Miami in the last 20 years. It isn't for everyone, but it's a party all the time. Hottest talent in the USA.

Yeah, but the school is actually in Coral Gables, and the stadium in Ft Lauderdale. So, pretty much, Miami isn't in Miami.

Yeah, but the school is actually in Coral Gables, and the stadium in Ft Lauderdale. So, pretty much, Miami isn't in Miami.

So, UCLA is in Brentwood and not LA? The Gables is just one of the rich sections in town. Who cares where they play.

So, UCLA is in Brentwood and not LA? The Gables is just one of the rich sections in town. Who cares where they play.
The location of the stadium has never seemed to get in the way of them bringing in talent, especially when they have boosters who take their football seriously.

They used to play in the Orange Bowl which was not only off campus but in a terrible part of town and a dump as well. They managed to win NCs in it and load up the draft with talent.

no excuse, but Golden only had full scholarships his first year.

the cycle is supposed to go:
  • Miami gets the best Florida recruits.
  • Miami wins
  • Miami gets caught
  • Miami loses scholarships
  • UF and FSU get the top recruits for a few years
  • Miami gets off probation
  • repeat
IIRC, Maimi had just gotten back to full scholarship levels and Al didn't really have his time to make hay while the sun shone.

Thanks Bohn

Back