What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2016 Coaching Carousel

He's did great at Louisville. Strong will get another shot elsewhere
He deserves it imho. I wish CU had him in some capacity. I'm wondering where he could get another job as head. Few ideas but no one team comes to mind, sure there are some out there.

That's fair and I'm not saying it doesn't happen that way. I just think UT is a little different in terms of patience and expectations than 95% of P5 programs.

This may be why winning at Texas is so hard.

They have a lot of big money guys with a hand in the pot who think they know how things should be done, and to the detriment of the program their wallets get them listened to.

Mack was unique in that he was able to manage their egos, at least long enough to win one NC with VY but those kinds of guys never stop meddling and when Mack's energy level dropped they got him to.

They have a lot of big money guys with a hand in the pot who think they know how things should be done, and to the detriment of the program their wallets get them listened to.

Mack was unique in that he was able to manage their egos, at least long enough to win one NC with VY but those kinds of guys never stop meddling and when Mack's energy level dropped they got him to.
That's the damn problem, too many roosters in the hen house. Then the head coach gets blamed when things go wrong. Kinda hard to get things done when suits are always around.

The key for Strong, I think, is being at a place that relies on recruiting Florida.
don't think so. He's recruiting very well in Texas, and was even before Baylor melted down. His issue is youth and assistant coaching hires.

don't think so. He's recruiting very well in Texas, and was even before Baylor melted down. His issue is youth and assistant coaching hires.

Is he? Seems to me that UT has taken a back seat to aTm in Texas recruiting.

Is he? Seems to me that UT has taken a back seat to aTm in Texas recruiting.
They have been close the last several years. UT only has 8 commits currently and ranked 60th for the 2017 class vs A&M being 9th with 22 commits. My knee jerk assessment is that they gambled at good results on the field this year with the intent of filling late and it is backfiring on them.

Isn't that more reasoning why Strong should be fired? UT has been irrelevant for the past few years and they are still able to pull in top 10 recruiting classes. They have built-in, elite level recruiting classes every year, unlimited funding, and they play in the worst P5 conference. UT is a place that a coach basically has to have them in the Playoff conversation in year 2, not a 13-17 record midway through year 3.

Strong inherited a lot of 5 star talent and he's failed to capitalize. He ran a few off but not a lot of them. He made some bad assistant decisions. The program was in tatters like CU. There is no good excuse. He's G5.

Strong inherited a lot of 5 star talent and he's failed to capitalize. He ran a few off but not a lot of them. He made some bad assistant decisions. The program was in tatters like CU. There is no good excuse. He's G5.
You are ignoring a lot of the issues about Mack browns recruiting. A lot of early highly rated commits that ended up being overrated. Strong is not G5, if you say that you have ignored his entire coaching career.

No way you can compare UT to the state CU was in when MM took over. That is not even in the same universe.

Agreed. Even if it was pay increase, it would be taking a step down from where he's been and where he currently is...

Aranda will have better options for sure, but it could be a lame duck (not intended, jeez, sorry) year at LSU as the guy who hired him is no longer in charge. Imagine how nasty a school like Oklahoma could be if Big Game Bob is replaced after the year and the new head coach brings Aranda.

You are ignoring a lot of the issues about Mack browns recruiting. A lot of early highly rated commits that ended up being overrated. Strong is not G5, if you say that you have ignored his entire coaching career.

Agree on Mack Brown's recruiting. Was a lot of star chasing and a lot of it was political. If a guy had a great junior year, got rated highly by the services and was a Texan, Brown wanted him and tried to lock him up during the spring. People need to forget the class ranks and look at how few UT guys have been making the NFL the past few years.

Agree on Mack Brown's recruiting. Was a lot of star chasing and a lot of it was political. If a guy had a great junior year, got rated highly by the services and was a Texan, Brown wanted him and tried to lock him up during the spring. People need to forget the class ranks and look at how few UT guys have been making the NFL the past few years.
Political is a very good word for it. That **** is very real down there.

Strong was a head scratcher hire from the beginning. I don't know if he was hired as a "F**k you" to the boosters or what. Of all the places he could have gone,UT seemed the oddest.
He could end up at Oregon. That would not be good.

Strong was a head scratcher hire from the beginning. I don't know if he was hired as a "F**k you" to the boosters or what. Of all the places he could have gone,UT seemed the oddest.

I'd watch Notre Dame. Discipline issues & he can recruit both TX and FL fo them.

Yeah I was surprised he passed on the Tennessee job, that would have been perfect for him. Oregon also seems like a weird fit though. I think he would do great at FSU if Fisher went to LSU or even LSU if he brought a top notch OC with him. I can't imagine his defenses with the players LSU has.

I'd watch Notre Dame. Discipline issues & he can recruit both TX and FL fo them.
There will be a lot of ND fans who view him as Willingham part two. Totally unfair and completely innacurrate, but the comparisons will be made. ND is a lot harder to win at than most of their fans want to believe. They aren't as special as they once were. Just another school. Just another team. In a crappy, cold, boring town, to boot.

That is an interesting one, I also think he would fit well at Georgia Tech or North Carolina if those coached are fired/move on to a bigger job.

He'd be great at just about any ACC team.

I threw Oregon out there because there's a good chance that there will be an opening there and they'd pay him a lot of money. He can recruit to anywhere.

Mack was unique in that he was able to manage their egos, at least long enough to win one NC with VY but those kinds of guys never stop meddling and when Mack's RECRUITNG level dropped they got him to.
Mack was the NC of February! He got lazy in recruiting, taking only TX kids who were big names as Jrs. His commit list was almost always filled up by May of any year, irespective of what t a kid might do his senior year or whether the kid had peaked as a HS Jr. As a result, he signed way too many kids who had peaked as HS Jrs!
Strong is just too "no fun,old school", as Bill Mallory was when he was at CU (Buffs coulda had Don James instead---Crowder's other huge mistake---Chuckles being a solid No. 1!!!)

Back