What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Coaching Search Thread

Steve Addazio
Doesn’t seem to have the recruiting chops. Not sure how difficult it is to recruit to BC but his classes have hovered in the mid-70’s according to 247. He does coach tough, hard-nosed football though.

Steve Addazio
I'm not big on Addazio for Colorado. He's in the right place. Perfect fit for Boston College.

However, I am a huge fan of his Offensive Coordinator. If we could get Scot Loeffler for OC/ QB Coach I think we'd be very happy. Makes sense as a possibility if the hire for HC is someone who comes from the Urban tree or is more of a defensive or smashmouth type philosophy. Loeffler was OC at Temple, Auburn and VA Tech before the BC job. He's developed the traditional pro style offense built around OL, TEs and a pro style QB (think Michigan when he was QB coach for Brady, Griese and Henne) into a no huddle, fast paced power attack. Very creative and it would fit the in-state talent in Colorado. Someone coming out of the Lloyd Carr and Urban Meyer coaching trees (he coached Tebow at Florida) to run our offense, develop our identity and coach our QBs would not suck at all.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/

I know this link was posted somewhere else but, couldn't find it. Hypothetically speaking if Rick George is able to spend $4 million per season on a coach and push CU into the top 25 of coaching salaries who of the potential candidates would be worth that kind of pay day?

My thought would be that only Dana Holgorsen, Matt Campbell, and Jeff Brohm would be worth shelling out that kind of money. Don't think any of the P5 assistants like Lake, Aranda, or Tucker would be worth paying that without already having P5 head coaching experience.

Had to chuckle at Lovie Smith making a cool $5 million on that list. Ouch!

Also a note on Holgorsen, I think WV would let him go if CU were to offer him a raise to the $4 million range.

I think Aranda would absolutely be worth $4m/year and that’s probably what it would take for him anyways. Tucker would probably demand close to that as well, IMO. Lake would be cheaper because of only having one year of experience as a coordinator, but if he’s the guy RG identifies as the right coach for CU, then go get him and pay him accordingly.

I know this link was posted somewhere else but, couldn't find it. Hypothetically speaking if Rick George is able to spend $4 million per season on a coach and push CU into the top 25 of coaching salaries who of the potential candidates would be worth that kind of pay day?

My thought would be that only Dana Holgorsen, Matt Campbell, and Jeff Brohm would be worth shelling out that kind of money. Don't think any of the P5 assistants like Lake, Aranda, or Tucker would be worth paying that without already having P5 head coaching experience.

Also a note on Holgorsen, I think WV would let him go if CU were to offer him a raise to the $4 million range.
Brian Kelly at only $2.1M? That can’t be right.

I'm down with that Holgorsen plan.

I also like the idea of hiring a guy like Schiano ($1.5M at tOSU right now) at around $3M (what he made as the Tampa Bay HC). But having a 50% or so bump to the entire coaching salary pool so that he could hire elite coordinators (especially OC) and build a staff of assassins on the recruiting trail.

Or, if Schiano's reputation was unfairly destroyed by Tennessee last year and it's simply not politically feasible to name him HC, I'd be down with hiring a HC like Jedd Fisch and bringing in Schiano as a $1.5M-$1.8M defensive coordinator. He's still only 52 years old. Kind of guy on staff who would mitigate the concerns with Fisch (inexperienced as a HC and could jump in 2 years if he gets offered another job that intrigues him based on his vagabond history).

I'm not big on Addazio for Colorado. He's in the right place. Perfect fit for Boston College.

However, I am a huge fan of his Offensive Coordinator. If we could get Scot Loeffler for OC/ QB Coach I think we'd be very happy. Makes sense as a possibility if the hire for HC is someone who comes from the Urban tree or is more of a defensive or smashmouth type philosophy. Loeffler was OC at Temple, Auburn and VA Tech before the BC job. He's developed the traditional pro style offense built around OL, TEs and a pro style QB (think Michigan when he was QB coach for Brady, Griese and Henne) into a no huddle, fast paced power attack. Very creative and it would fit the in-state talent in Colorado. Someone coming out of the Lloyd Carr and Urban Meyer coaching trees (he coached Tebow at Florida) to run our offense, develop our identity and coach our QBs would not suck at all.
Yes. Like him.

You don’t think the search firm has already been hired?
Yeah I was going to say that would be an extremely slow timeline. It’s been 5 days since MM has been fired and Rick George has known it was coming for the last 2-3 weeks. IF there is even an actual search firm, I’m assuming they’ve been hired and working on the process for at least 3-4 days now. I don’t think it’d be surprising if a hire announcement was made by next Wednesday/Thursday.

Yeah I was going to say that would be an extremely slow timeline. It’s been 5 days since MM has been fired and Rick George has known it was coming for the last 2-3 weeks. IF there is even an actual search firm, I’m assuming they’ve been hired and working on the process for at least 3-4 days now. I don’t think it’d be surprising if a hire announcement was made by next Wednesday/Thursday.
I'd be shocked if it was any sooner then Dec 3rd

Reactions: dio
Back