What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Colorado State Game Thread

I'm actually a fan of playing chippy with a little extra something through the whistle and whatnot. I consider that hard nosed, good football and the way the game was meant to be played. I don't agree with late hits, head shots, crack back blocks or hunting knees. There's a very big difference between ratcheting up the violence in a battle of "who's tougher, me or you?" vs sniping opponents with cheap shots and trying to cause injury. I was pissed about Saturday because I feel that CSU crossed the line into the latter.
And after theyre off TV and have a life of brain damage? Who cares?

There is a reason these rules were recently created.

There's also a difference between tackling hard and a cheap shot that puts somebody in the hospital. I'm OK with tackling hard it's part of the game. I'm not OK with a cheap shot just to hurt somebody.
Some players or teams have a mentality that they know they aren't good enough to go anywhere so they think it proves something if they can take away somebody else's chances.

If that means rising up and scoring an upset or two that's a positive. If it means cheap shotting their way putting better players than they are on the sideline that's just being a dirty loser, no matter what the final score is.

Yes - there is a hypocrisy with the local media. When CU is bad, then they are the constant butt of the joke. When they are good, then they are arrogant.

You will see the local narrative change for the rest of the season. Everyone had fun with the 3-0 start, but there will be more and more detractors going forth. Guarantee it
A lot of the media are lazy.

It is easier to be snarky and insulting than it is to actually do the work to find out why somebody is good.

If CU is good and the public wants information about them then those media people actually have to do their job and cover them instead of just spitting out the information the Broncos and the NFL feed them.

Case in point and I understand it is a lower level program but we have the #2 program in the country in D2 in Golden, last years national runner up. How many of these media people even know they exist much less have done any research or gone out to Golden to see what is happening?

I could have worn the ball was still in the air on that hit. Not so on Hunter.
The hit on Hunter still would have been late and still would have been a cheap shot 20 years ago or 40 years ago.

40 Years ago the opposing coach would have probably called a sweep directly at 11 the next play and had a pulling guard take out his knee.

Football wasn't any better with the extra violence of days gone by. It should also be remembered that players of today are bigger, faster, and stronger than in past eras, the potential for real injury is higher.

Yep, I can think of a lot of things that used to be different which look ****ed up now
Oh man the 1980s NFL were epic. Univ of Miami games in the 80s at the old Orange Bowl were a hit fest. Back then we just thought it was a hard hit and life would go on for these guys just fine.

I simply feel that we have a responsibility for the well being of these young men in their life after football. The game is violent even with these rules.

I could have worn the ball was still in the air on that hit. Not so on Hunter.
I was more responding to Nik that liked chippy play and the rules used to allow a defenseless WR to get blown up with the crown the helmet. What happened to Hunter would be a penalty then too.

I was more responding to Nik that liked chippy play and the rules used to allow a defenseless WR to get blown up with the crown the helmet. What happened to Hunter would be a penalty then too.
But Nik never said that he liked this stuff. My interpretation of his comment was that he simply liked chippy play (aggressive and physical play that tests the will of a young man, and might lead to some pushing, shoving, and trash talking through the whistle). I agree with him. But you responded in a way that suggested that Nik was advocating for play that was dangerous, and Nik explicitly stated otherwise in the post you were responding to.

Truth. Watching "Sixteen Candles" with all the date rape and latent misogyny & racism is quite cringe in retrospect. Life evolves.
It wasn't that long ago that people thought the stereotype of the ex-football player was funny as well. A big guy who had trouble speaking clearly, lost his train of thought, was prone to emotional outburst, etc.

Now that we know about CTE that stuff isn't funny anymore.

It wasn't that long ago that people thought the stereotype of the ex-football player was funny as well. A big guy who had trouble speaking clearly, lost his train of thought, was prone to emotional outburst, etc.

Now that we know about CTE that stuff isn't funny anymore.
Yeah, consider JR Seau the guy delivered absolutely bone crushing hits for years. You could hear those hits echo in the stadium. Absolutely horrible what happened to him.

Oh man the 1980s NFL were epic. Univ of Miami games in the 80s at the old Orange Bowl were a hit fest. Back then we just thought it was a hard hit and life would go on for these guys just fine.

I simply feel that we have a responsibility for the well being of these young men in their life after football. The game is violent even with these rules.

1695154746624.png
1991 Cotton Bowl. He laid out the kick returner on the opening kick. Set the tone for the game.

Date rape?
sixteen candles GIF

Yeah, consider JR Seau the guy delivered absolutely bone crushing hits for years. You could hear those hits echo in the stadium. Absolutely horrible what happened to him.
To me, the bigger issue that resulted in tragedy for guys like Seau had less to do with violent contact occasionally in games, and was much more a result of the way practice was run, what was coached and emphasized on the daily in practice, having guys play through being dinged (i.e. concussed) in practice and in games, the complete lack of any investment into the technology for safer helmets, and the lack of protection afforded defenseless players in practice and games.

People like to focus on what they saw in games, but the reality was that what was happening every single day, for hours on end, in practice was much worse for the health of the players. All of this has changed substantially (for the better) in the last 10+ years, and regardless of there being a violent/illegal hit in games here and there, I view FB as being 10x safer for the players now vs. what was happening in the 00's and prior.

Dude. The ball had just hit the receiver's hand and he was still in bounds. That's a huge hit, but a legal one. The hit on Hunter was late and out of bounds.
I was responding to something Nik said and added that as an example. Go read what he said.

Unless Im wrong about the rule change you cant lead with your helmet into the upper body today like you could back then.

Published 12:33 PM MDT, August 18, 2022 : Targeting, generally defined as leading with the helmet to make forcible above-the-shoulder contact with an opponent, continues to carry with it a 15-yard penalty and the ejection of the flagged player. Players ejected in the second half are required to sit out the first half of the following game.

The new rule allows the conference office to request a review from the national coordinator of officials for a second-half targeting foul. If it’s obvious a player was incorrectly penalized for targeting, the player would be cleared to play in the first half of the next game.

Travis was a victim of targeting.

Last edited:
I think he's referring to the scene wherem Jake Ryan hands his drunk, unconscious girlfriend over to Farmer Ted and saying 'have fun', who then proceeds to take photos of her in various positions while she remains passed out.
I would have thought that was obvious, but...

I was responding to something Nik said and added that as an example. Go read what he said.

Unless Im wrong about the rule change you cant lead with your helmet into the upper body today like you could back then.

Travis was a victim of targeting.
No he wasn't. Blackburn did not make contact with his helmet. He put his shoulder into Hunter's sternum and followed through with an elbow into his rib cage causing the liver injury.

Back