What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU @ Oregon State Thread - 10/14 2 PM MT on P12-Network

Pac 12 rankings of team Scoring Defense (SD) and Total Defense (TD):

2014 (year before Leavitt comes to CU)
SD: 11
TD: 11

2015 (w/ Leavitt)
SD: 6
TD: 6

2016 (w/ Leavitt)
SD: 3
TD: 2

2017 (Eliot)
SD: 6
TD: 9

Oregon 2016 (year before Leavitt)
SD: 11
TD: 11

Oregon 2017 (w/ Leavitt)
SD: 9
TD: 4

So, I think Leavitt would have this defense playing at a higher level than Eliot.
Cool stats but they are completely irrelevant to the point.

Cool stats but they are completely irrelevant to the point.
No they aren't. Oregon's defense has improved under Leavitt while CU's has gotten worse under Eliot. Nothing in Eliot's history tells me he can oversee a competent defense, you can't say the same about Leavitt. I know you're butt hurt about JL leaving but you've gone way overboard with this narrative about him being an overrated coach.

No they aren't. Oregon's defense has improved under Leavitt while CU's has gotten worse under Eliot. Nothing in Eliot's history tells me he can oversee a competent defense, you can't say the same about Leavitt. I know you're butt hurt about JL leaving but you've gone way overboard with this narrative about him being an overrated coach.
You watch Oregon yesterday? Saying the defense got worse this year is like saying the sky is blue, no ****. Everyone said it was going to be rough defensively this year.

You watch Oregon yesterday? Saying the defense got worse this year is like saying the sky is blue, no ****. Everyone said it was going to be rough defensively this year.
Did you watch Oregon last year? They gave up 52 to Stanford at home so yesterday was actually a minor improvement.

Lol Oregon has “improved” to giving up 41 ppg in Pac 12 play. When you’re the worst defense in FBS last year, there’s no place to go but up. When you’re one of the top 20 defenses in FBS and lose 8 starters to the NFL, there’s a great chance, you’re going to drop. So again, nice stats, but completely irrelevant.

Btw, I haven’t been leading any kind of narrative that Leavitt is overrated. I’ve given him credit where it’s due, but everybody is crying about Eliot, and pumping up Leavitt, like Leavitt would have this patchwork, under talented defense playing at a high level. It’s laughable.

Oregon lost the 5th rated passer for the last two games and have been playing a true freshman....lots od three and outs....threw for less than 50 yards....exposed the defense.

Oregon lost the 5th rated passer for the last two games and have been playing a true freshman....lots od three and outs....threw for less than 50 yards....exposed the defense.
Oregon’s defense being exposed has nothing to do with their offense. They aren’t good

Lol Oregon has “improved” to giving up 41 ppg in Pac 12 play. When you’re the worst defense in FBS last year, there’s no place to go but up. When you’re one of the top 20 defenses in FBS and lose 8 starters to the NFL, there’s a great chance, you’re going to drop. So again, nice stats, but completely irrelevant.

Btw, I haven’t been leading any kind of narrative that Leavitt is overrated. I’ve given him credit where it’s due, but everybody is crying about Eliot, and pumping up Leavitt, like Leavitt would have this patchwork, under talented defense playing at a high level. It’s laughable.
So both teams are right where they should be I guess. I never claimed Oregon's defense was good, just that they were improved...which they are. You just seem to go out of your way to criticize what Leavitt has done with an Oregon defense that was expected to be bad as some defense of Eliot which is strange to me. Personally I trust a coach like Leavitt long term since he has a proven track record over a guy like Eliot who has none, but maybe he'll prove me wrong.

So both teams are right where they should be I guess. I never claimed Oregon's defense was good, just that they were improved...which they are. You just seem to go out of your way to criticize what Leavitt has done with an Oregon defense that was expected to be bad as some defense of Eliot which is strange to me. Personally I trust a coach like Leavitt long term since he has a proven track record over a guy like Eliot who has none, but maybe he'll prove me wrong.
Your argument of improvement in Eugene is comparing the 52 points they gave up to stanford last year, vs the 49 they gave up this year (y)

I think some of you guys are going overboard with how "bad" this defense was supposed to be this season after losing so many seniors. The offseason narrative was much different.

Your argument of improvement in Eugene is comparing the 52 points they gave up to stanford last year, vs the 49 they gave up this year (y)
Just funny how you use that Stanford game as an indictment of Leavitt. How about the 70 they gave up at home to Washington last year? How about they are giving up fewer yards/game than CU, are 2nd in the league in rushing defense, 2nd in the league on 3rd down, and lead the conference in sacks?

I think some of you guys are going overboard with how "bad" this defense was supposed to be this season after losing so many seniors. The offseason narrative was much different.
Definitely thought it’d be better than it has been as I thought Javier, Mulumba, Umu, Falo, DMac, and Jackson would create a pretty solid DL rotation. Unfortunately, most didn’t have the foresight that Falo and Umu wouldn’t play a snap or that DMac would be more of a liability than an asset. Those guys playing at all or at the expected level during the offseason would be making a difference right now.

High level no, but better than our current DC, yes.

Oregon’s defense being exposed has nothing to do with their offense. They aren’t good
errr..CU has the 97th ranked team in total defense....over 6 yards per play.....Oregon is number 44...under 5 yards per play... Oregon ranked #22 in rush defense..3.2 ypc.....Buffs #97 with over 5 ypc...Next....

Last edited:
Just funny how you use that Stanford game as an indictment of Leavitt. How about the 70 they gave up at home to Washington last year? How about they are giving up fewer yards/game than CU, are 2nd in the league in rushing defense, 2nd in the league on 3rd down, and lead the conference in sacks?
You used the Stanford game as the benchmark for improvement, not me. Again, cool stats with the yards. Unfortunately they aren’t relevant. Keep going, if it makes you feel better about ripping Eliot, though.

You used the Stanford game as the benchmark for improvement, not me. Again, cool stats with the yards. Unfortunately they aren’t relevant. Keep going, if it makes you feel better about ripping Eliot, though.
Giving up 49 on the road > giving up 52 at home.

Serious question, if you could trade Eliot for Leavitt right now would you?

Definitely thought it’d be better than it has been as I thought Javier, Mulumba, Umu, Falo, DMac, and Jackson would create a pretty solid DL rotation. Unfortunately, most didn’t have the foresight that Falo and Umu wouldn’t play a snap or that DMac would be more of a liability than an asset. Those guys playing at all or at the expected level during the offseason would be making a difference right now.

Maybe. It points to an extreme lack of depth though. Losing Umu is really THAT big? Not buying it that he was fortifying the depth in the front three and now it is chaos.

McCartney and Falo, that makes more sense why we miss both (McCartney at his best and Falo just in general). The depth has always been shaky.

Injuries and suspensions do not explain away all of even most of the issues IMO. There is not a "glue guy" in the secondary who seems to thrive in the chaos like both Awuzie and Thompson did last year. Just seems a lack of cohesion/communication in general.

Would you trade CU’s defensive personnel straight up for Oregon’s?

Maybe. It points to an extreme lack of depth though. Losing Umu is really THAT big? Not buying it that he was fortifying the depth in the front three and now it is chaos.

McCartney and Falo, that makes more sense why we miss both (McCartney at his best and Falo just in general). The depth has always been shaky.

Injuries and suspensions do not explain away all of even most of the issues IMO. There is not a "glue guy" in the secondary who seems to thrive in the chaos like both Awuzie and Thompson did last year. Just seems a lack of cohesion/communication in general.
I’m in complete agreement about the talent and depth, but if we’re talking offseason narrative, there are multiple guys not on the team or playing at the level we thought they would. Our CB depth with Julmisse off the team also took a big hit. That’s 3 guys who were supposed to either start or be major contributors who never saw a snap. It makes a pretty big difference.

I’m in complete agreement about the talent and depth, but if we’re talking offseason narrative, there are multiple guys not on the team or playing at the level we thought they would. Our CB depth with Julmisse off the team also took a big hit. That’s 3 guys who were supposed to either start or be major contributors who never saw a snap. It makes a pretty big difference.

Wasn't there a lot of back and forth about losing Julmisse not being a big deal? In fact, there were a fair amount of "Udoffia was probably going to start anyway" posts here and elsewhere.

I just think there is some revisionism happening all of a sudden.

It’s a fan site, fans try to stay optimistic but I don’t think anyone really thought udoffia was better than julmisse.

Would you trade CU’s defensive personnel straight up for Oregon’s?
I have no idea, I don't follow Oregon's roster that closely. I would trade coaches in a heartbeat and if we agree on that then I don't understand what this argument is even about.

Schek's standard argument to anyone frustrated with what appears to have been a obvious downgrade at the DC position is that "Oregon's defense sucks this year", but unless you really like Eliot more thank Leavitt, I don't see why that matters.

Wasn't there a lot of back and forth about losing Julmisse not being a big deal? In fact, there were a fair amount of "Udoffia was probably going to start anyway" posts here and elsewhere.

I just think there is some revisionism happening all of a sudden.
That doesn’t make the Udoffia starting narrative false and nobody said Julmisse wouldn’t have been a factor. Would Julmisse be better than Wigley as the 3rd CB? I would say yes.

Back