What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU vs TCU Pregame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe QB will be better. Oline, maybe as well. But what was lost and is playing elsewhere is not going to be replaced on an even level. Just not happening. This o will be marginally better overall when all is considered

Maybe QB will be better. Oline, maybe as well. But what was lost and is playing elsewhere is not going to be replaced on an even level. Just not happening. This o will be marginally better overall when all is considered
If we can cross midfield more than once per half then it's a dramatic improvement. I don't know if that's enough to improve on 4-8. Heck, the record could be worse because we just don't match up to our opponents on talent and won't be stealing wins with unusual schemes. But it's about impossible to fail to improve the offense more than marginally.

In other words, we were so much worse than bad in 2021 that we could see a complete turnaround and still be below average.🤢

If we can cross midfield more than once per half then it's a dramatic improvement. I don't know if that's enough to improve on 4-8. Heck, the record could be worse because we just don't match up to our opponents on talent and won't be stealing wins with unusual schemes. But it's about impossible to fail to improve the offense more than marginally.

In other words, we were so much worse than bad in 2021 that we could see a complete turnaround and still be below average.🤢
marginal at best. They do not have the talent to improve it much. It could look much worse just because of schedule and be marginal improvement. So there is that

This. Spot on. Last years O reached levels of ineptitude that even doubling yards per pass or first downs per game may not yield significantly more points.

Buncha sorry ass losers in here
Logo Work GIF by WIESEMANN 1893

The mental gymnastics required to look at a team that lost its four best athletes on offense and come to the conclusion that they ought to be better is rather impressive. That’s putting a lot of faith in coaching, prep and in-game adjustments from people who have never coached here before.

Meh. QB is the most important position in football. If QB play is markedly improved, the offense will be better.

But the offense very much could be worse. A couple injuries to key players on a team with zero depth and we are toast. We are depending on a lot of things to happen in order to see improvement. One, we are counting on coaching to be better. This is the easy one. It will be. No questions. Second, we are depending on the players to be better. I have major misgivings. Shrout hasn’t played a down of football in two years and is coming off a injury. Our best skill position players are gone, replaced by guys who haven’t done anything here or were passed on the depth chart by the guys who just left. Our OL, that was bad last year, isn’t really any better this year and is paper thin. You have to figure out a way to get past all those potential issues to come to the conclusion that we will be improved. That’s called mental gymnastics. Basically, you have to say that because the coaching has improved, the offense will improve in spite of the talent runoff. That’s a pretty significant leap of logic. It might happen. It might not. I certainly wouldn’t put money on it either way.

You keep arguing as though you are trying to convince me of something. I’d recommend you stop doing that. You won’t convince me.
Shrout > Lewis (A second year Lewis will also be better than a first year Lewis if you want to go there)

Broussard > Fontenot (obviously)

Sneed > Rice (Rice is the better athlete but Sneed has proven to be the better WR, could be a push but I think CU improved)

MLC = Stanley (push for the most part)

Brown = Kutsch

Pursell > Fenske/Johnson (I think this is the weak link in the oline this year)

Gonzalez/Blackmon > Reed\Moore (big hit obviously)

Perry = Woods (Perry has all the talent in the world but could never put it together at CU, maybe he can at TCU)

It doesn't matter what kind of talent you have at WR and running back when you have an OL that can't do anything and a horrible offensive scheme. Last year we could have replaced the offensive guys who left with 2* walk-ons and it wouldn't have made a difference in the season. Year to year loss of talent has little effect when that talent was never utilized.

Sneed and any number of the under classmen. WR is pretty deep, IMO, and Ive been vocal for a while now that Jordan Tyson is a stud who was criminally underrated coming out as the best player on one of the top TX high school programs.
I'm really hoping this is the case with Tyson, but in this day and age studs don't just get missed. It would be a huge anomaly if a super talent at a football factory in Texas got overlooked by everyone in the country except this staff. Again, not saying it won't be the case, just saying it would be a very fortuitous occurance.

I'm really hoping this is the case with Tyson, but in this day and age studs don't just get missed. It would be a huge anomaly if a super talent at a football factory in Texas got overlooked by everyone in the country except this staff. Again, not saying it won't be the case, just saying it would be a very fortuitous occurance.
Kids still get overlooked. It'll always happen

How did you leave off as a reason that "he can make a lot more money somewhere else"?

Rice was always asking for social media follows, knowing that was a key metric used in calculating the value of his brand. USC offered a deal CU wasn't going to be able to match. It was always about that.
How about:
D) I have a QB who can't get me the damn ball.
That's what it was more than anything else. Can't do sh!t with your "brand" without touches.

Betting aside, TCU looks like one of the more winnable games on the schedule to me. ASU perhaps the most winnable.

When Dykes took his gunslinging offense to Cal, their only win was vs Portland State. But they also had a defense that was beyond bad.
The offense put up 30 in week 1 vs Northwestern in a loss.

At SMU, he had a better defense out of the gate and the offense was up to speed pretty quickly.

I think what I'd expect is the offense to be pretty good as it's seems simple to teach. They have 3 QBs still vying to be the starter.

Defense should be very good. They brought in the Tulsa DC who is well thought of and TCU has always been good on D. I think they transition to the new DC pretty well.

Prediction: TCU mixes it up with Jackson running some QB run option plays and Dykes spreading the ball around using 1 or more of the other QBs. I just don't have a high level of confidence in Chris Wilson to defend against college offenses. We will see. Nobody will be using the "but Nate Landman got injured" excuse anymore. I think we are pretty deep on Defense with the exception of safety and so we will see what Wilson has in game 1.
Gonna go out on a limb (not really) and say Jackson doesn't see the field at QB Saturday. It's not a 3 player race.

How about:
D) I have a QB who can't get me the damn ball.
That's what it was more than anything else. Can't do sh!t with your "brand" without touches.
Chev supposedly sold Rice on the thought that CU would utilize him like he did Viska (even though Chev wasn't the OC). That obviously didn't materialize with whatever you want to call last years offense. It was a combo of broken promises, losing his HC and WR coach, along with CU not providing a big enough platform to promote himself.

These are situations when you need good JT to show up. Get scores back quickly. And not bad JT who has been known to force ball trying to do too much.
What's the line on him even starting? I have a terrible feeling KD goes with the "known quantity"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back