What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU vs TCU Pregame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We do not have the athletes to slow this one down. We can try and use clock with a running game but once they are behind by more than 2 scores and have to throw the ball, what out. That is when this team starts to get boat raced. The Buffs better be able to run, control the clock and score early or this will be a very very long day
These are situations when you need good JT to show up. Get scores back quickly. And not bad JT who has been known to force ball trying to do too much.

I'm not buying into this game being an automatic TCU win. Look at their results last year.

They beat Cal 34-32 then lost to SMU the following weekend. They did manage to beat Baylor by 2 at home but they beat Kansas by just three points. They got boat raced at Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Iowa State.

Also look at Sonny Dykes' history at Cal & SMU. First season at Cal was that 1-11 disaster and SMU got whipped at UNT in his debut for the Ponies.
There are plenty of reasons to think the Buffs will be competitive. Catching TCU in game one under Dykes and having it in Boulder are two that should give fans hope, IMO. Most people are picking TCU to finish in the bottom half of the Big 12, and some are picking them to finish in the bottom 2-3. This isn't TCU under Gary Patterson in their prime coming to town. It's Sonny Dykes and his .500 career win percentage in week one on the road.

There are plenty of reasons to think the Buffs will be competitive. Catching TCU in game one under Dykes and having it in Boulder are two that should give fans hope, IMO. Most people are picking TCU to finish in the bottom half of the Big 12, and some are picking them to finish in the bottom 2-3. This isn't TCU under Gary Patterson in their prime coming to town. It's Sonny Dykes and his .500 career win percentage in week one on the road.
So Buffs likely not worse than 2021 (O can’t be worse). At home we were routed by Minn and USC and beat OSU and UW. Who is 2022 TCU more like? If we get Noyer-like QB play, this game feels like 2020 UCLA opener to me. Line seems high unless we have no answers for WRs.

So Buffs likely not worse than 2021 (O can’t be worse). At home we were routed by Minn and USC and beat OSU and UW. Who is 2022 TCU more like? If we get Noyer-like QB play, this game feels like 2020 UCLA opener to me. Line seems high unless we have no answers for WRs.
According to a depth chart TCU's WR's go, 6'4", 6'4", 5'9", 5'9", 6'5", 5'11". Does anybody see a match up problem?

Some short DBs can handle and some can’t. No idea on ours.
Well, that is my guess for why the line is where it is. If I were Sonny, I would be looking to take advantage of that. Since he runs the Air Raid, it isn't like chucking the ball around is foreign to TCU now.

1st year offenses installations are problematic. That is about the best fact I can think of for the Buffs. Unfortunately, TCU, while somewhat down from the GP glory days, still is pretty loaded with athletes. I think the talent differential will be pretty apparent.

I'm not buying into this game being an automatic TCU win. Look at their results last year.

They beat Cal 34-32 then lost to SMU the following weekend. They did manage to beat Baylor by 2 at home but they beat Kansas by just three points. They got boat raced at Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Iowa State.

Also look at Sonny Dykes' history at Cal & SMU. First season at Cal was that 1-11 disaster and SMU got whipped at UNT in his debut for the Ponies.

Cool. Anyone remember how CU did against that same Cal team last year?

Does TCU get the deep TD on the first or second play of their first series?
Neither. If I were OC I would set up the deep ball with some early curls to the tall WR's and some screens to get the safeties and LB jumping routes. Then go over the top.

If the DL doesn't get some push, and that is doubly hard against the Air Raid, the DB's are going to be under tremendous pressure. Hopefully, the Air Raid has not been well implemented by game one. If it has been, it could be ugly.

The mental gymnastics required to look at a team that lost its four best athletes on offense and come to the conclusion that they ought to be better is rather impressive. That’s putting a lot of faith in coaching, prep and in-game adjustments from people who have never coached here before.

The mental gymnastics required to look at a team that lost its four best athletes on offense and come to the conclusion that they ought to be better is rather impressive. That’s putting a lot of faith in coaching, prep and in-game adjustments from people who have never coached here before.
I thought the '21 squad looked a little less motivated and intense than the '20 squad. I think a lot of folks are assuming we'll rebound because Chev is gone, but I don't know if that's true.

It actually doesn't take much at all to think the offense will be better with a (likely) new QB, competent playcalling and much better coaching all the way around.

I have a bet with @manhattanbuff that they'll score more points if you want in on it.

It actually doesn't take much at all to think the offense will be better with a (likely) new QB, competent playcalling and much better coaching all the way around.

I have a bet with @manhattanbuff that they'll score more points if you want in on it.
I don’t gamble. But even if I did, there’s too many variables that could impact that score total. I can see how the offense *could* improve, but there’s absolutely no way I’d put a wager on it. I’d say it’s a toss up as to whether they’ll be any better.

I don’t gamble. But even if I did, there’s too many variables that could impact that score total. I can see how the offense *could* improve, but there’s absolutely no way I’d put a wager on it. I’d say it’s a toss up as to whether they’ll be any better.
The bet was adjusted for offense only scoring as there were a couple defensive/ST TDs, so the variability is taken out of the equation. It's going to be an improved offense. That doesn't necessarily mean they'll win more game or will jump to top half of the conference, but it will be better than last year.

You don’t think QB and OLine better in 2022?

You don’t think QB and OLine better in 2022?
That's what I'm banking on - that we're significantly better in those positions. Even if we lost our top playmakers at WR and RB, productivity still majorly improves since the guys we have will be getting the ball with a chance to actually make a play this year.

Either a guy a year older or someone better. Same with OL. One big loss hopefully replaced by transfer.
Yeah. Wish it was that simple. New system. Multiple blocking schemes. Players playing in unfamiliar positions based on history. I’ll await first three games - a health of Brown- before making broad declarations on OL. It seems true. It may not be.

The bet was adjusted for offense only scoring as there were a couple defensive/ST TDs, so the variability is taken out of the equation. It's going to be an improved offense. That doesn't necessarily mean they'll win more game or will jump to top half of the conference, but it will be better than last year.
The variability comes from weather conditions, quality of opponent, injuries, etc. you know - variables. Has nothing to do with ST and defensive scoring.
One could make the argument that it would be damn near impossible for the offense to be any worse than it was last year. Based on the loss of playmakers, I can certainly see it being worse, given the right set of circumstances.

The variability comes from weather conditions, quality of opponent, injuries, etc. you know - variables. Has nothing to do with ST and defensive scoring.
One could make the argument that it would be damn near impossible for the offense to be any worse than it was last year. Based on the loss of playmakers, I can certainly see it being worse, given the right set of circumstances.
Lol so your "variabilities" that could impact the score totals (either way, btw) are the fundamental elements that all teams deal with when playing football? Got it.

One could make the argument that it's near impossible for the offense to be any worse than it was last year... which is what I've argued and why manhattan will be paying me in close to exactly 3 months. I don't think it requires any impressive mental gymnastics to assert this will be the case

Yeah. Wish it was that simple. New system. Multiple blocking schemes. Players playing in unfamiliar positions based on history. I’ll await first three games - a health of Brown- before making broad declarations on OL. It seems true. It may not be.
But after 3 games they’ll be 3 games further along in a new system. You may want to wait til after game 6.

Lol so your "variabilities" that could impact the score totals (either way, btw) are the fundamental elements that all teams deal with when playing football? Got it.

One could make the argument that it's near impossible for the offense to be any worse than it was last year... which is what I've argued and why manhattan will be paying me in close to exactly 3 months. I don't think it requires any impressive mental gymnastics to assert this will be the case

But the offense very much could be worse. A couple injuries to key players on a team with zero depth and we are toast. We are depending on a lot of things to happen in order to see improvement. One, we are counting on coaching to be better. This is the easy one. It will be. No questions. Second, we are depending on the players to be better. I have major misgivings. Shrout hasn’t played a down of football in two years and is coming off a injury. Our best skill position players are gone, replaced by guys who haven’t done anything here or were passed on the depth chart by the guys who just left. Our OL, that was bad last year, isn’t really any better this year and is paper thin. You have to figure out a way to get past all those potential issues to come to the conclusion that we will be improved. That’s called mental gymnastics. Basically, you have to say that because the coaching has improved, the offense will improve in spite of the talent runoff. That’s a pretty significant leap of logic. It might happen. It might not. I certainly wouldn’t put money on it either way.

You keep arguing as though you are trying to convince me of something. I’d recommend you stop doing that. You won’t convince me.

But the offense very much could be worse. A couple injuries to key players on a team with zero depth and we are toast. We are depending on a lot of things to happen in order to see improvement. One, we are counting on coaching to be better. This is the easy one. It will be. No questions. Second, we are depending on the players to be better. I have major misgivings. Shrout hasn’t played a down of football in two years and is coming off a injury. Our best skill position players are gone, replaced by guys who haven’t done anything here or were passed on the depth chart by the guys who just left. Our OL, that was bad last year, isn’t really any better this year and is paper thin. You have to figure out a way to get past all those potential issues to come to the conclusion that we will be improved. That’s called mental gymnastics. Basically, you have to say that because the coaching has improved, the offense will improve in spite of the talent runoff. That’s a pretty significant leap of logic. It might happen. It might not. I certainly wouldn’t put money on it either way.

You keep arguing as though you are trying to convince me of something. I’d recommend you stop doing that. You won’t convince me.
Lack of depth on OL and secondary could definitely ruin season.

All I have said is the offense will score more points than it did last year, and based on last year's point total, it doesn't take impressive mental gymnastics to assert that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back