What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Game Day Thread: Colorado vs UCLA 2012

I will say one thing positive about today. I felt that the effort was there from the team. The defense is really missing Polk and Rippy, but they hung in there for quite a while. Pericak keeps impressing me and I think he'll have a long NFL career as a 3-4 DE.

Got to question the offensive game plan in this one, though. UCLA played most of the game with 10 guys within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage and we had nothing to counter it. I think we're going to see a lot of that going forward, so we better figure out a way to hit some quick slants.

There is one team that is head and shoulders above every other team. Beyond them, it's a joke. Arkansas was a preseason top 10 team, and they're no better than us. Neither is Illinois, or a number of other teams. Things can come together in a hurry, and we have plenty of players that can make a difference, and more on the way. I think we're good enough to beat at least 2 more teams on our schedule, and we definitely have guys that could play on 'top 25' teams, since that horse**** anyway. Our offense needs to improve a lot, and that means speed and better line play. Some speed is on the way, as is better QB play. We need better line play, but there are some players here, and more on the way that can play. Can the line coach coach? I have some doubts.

You are all over the place...... And completely wrong on some of your analysis...... I hope you have an excuse.... Like you have been drinking this evening. If not, then You should probably stay away from analyzing football.

I will say one thing positive about today. I felt that the effort was there from the team. The defense is really missing Polk and Rippy, but they hung in there for quite a while. Pericak keeps impressing me and I think he'll have a long NFL career as a 3-4 DE.

Got to question the offensive game plan in this one, though. UCLA played most of the game with 10 guys within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage and we had nothing to counter it. I think we're going to see a lot of that going forward, so we better figure out a way to hit some quick slants.
Yeah. UCLA played 10 in the box. Crazy that we couldn't burn them.

I don't see what you see in Pericak. He is an average Division 1 player who has the best statistics on this team because someone has to make tackles.

I honestly am a little perplexed with some posters saying we have difference makers. If you can't name them, you should probably stop making blanket statements.

You are all over the place...... And completely wrong on some of your analysis...... I hope you have an excuse.... Like you have been drinking this evening. If not, then You should probably stay away from analyzing football.

Your bull**** about 'top 25 teams' is pure crap. Sorry.

I agree about Pericak. He's been playing really well.

this game could have and should have been closer but 2 things drove me insane... mora is a sleaze and was hell bent on running up the score calling for deep passes up 35-7 and the refs were atrocious for both sides but that punt catch interference nearly resulted in me getting tossed haha... neither made a difference in the grand scheme of things, but if we dont shoot ourself in the foot(ie hobbs) this ends a 10-14 point game

I honestly am a little perplexed with some posters saying we have difference makers. If you can't name them, you should probably stop making blanket statements.

I guess it depends on what people mean by "difference makers". I don't see play makers (i.e., guys who are capable of changing the game by making big individual plays that flip momentum). At least, I don't see them in terms of having that ability on a consistent basis due to youth or holes in their games. Chidera can be a guy like that, as can number of the young guys. We also have some excellent players like Bakhtiari who gets his job done and would be a starter on just about any team in the nation. Not enough of them and far too little depth, though.

I think we all knew this stretch was going to be a killer. I want to see signs of improvement. There were some today. We were down 21-7 well into the second half. We had two fumbles, one of them lost, when we were in scoring position. That's about as positive as I can get. I'm not happy with the offensive play calling. I can't figure out if the play calling is what it is because of the lack of talent or because of lack of imagination.

this game could have and should have been closer but 2 things drove me insane... mora is a sleaze and was hell bent on running up the score calling for deep passes up 35-7 and the refs were atrocious for both sides but that punt catch interference nearly resulted in me getting tossed haha... neither made a difference in the grand scheme of things, but if we dont shoot ourself in the foot(ie hobbs) this ends a 10-14 point game
I thought the final score fairly represented the ass-beating we were handed today.

The team has difference makers. Most of them are just young and are poorly coached.

Before I get critical, can you please clarify what team you are talking about. I do not want to write a post making light of your stupidity if you are talking about another team other than the Colorado Buffaloes football team.

[FONT=Cambria, serif]Score by Quarters [/FONT][FONT=Cambria, serif]1 [/FONT][FONT=Cambria, serif]2 [/FONT][FONT=Cambria, serif]3 [/FONT][FONT=Cambria, serif]4 [/FONT][FONT=Cambria, serif]Score [/FONT]
[FONT=Cambria, serif]UCLA [/FONT][FONT=Cambria, serif]7[/FONT][FONT=Cambria, serif]14[/FONT][FONT=Cambria, serif]7[/FONT][FONT=Cambria, serif]14[/FONT][FONT=Cambria, serif]42 [/FONT]
[FONT=Cambria, serif]Colorado [/FONT][FONT=Cambria, serif]0[/FONT][FONT=Cambria, serif]7[/FONT][FONT=Cambria, serif]0[/FONT][FONT=Cambria, serif]7[/FONT][FONT=Cambria, serif]14 [/FONT]

Does that look like a game that got away from us late? It's about as consistent as you're ever going to see.

Today was a thorough 60 minute ass kicking.

What's up with these linebackers?

The linebacker play has been disappointing to me. VERY disappointing. Yet again the middle of our defense was wide open, and running backs coming out of the backfield for passes are absolutely not covered. That means a safety (Orms, Terrel Smith) would have to come up and make the play ... 9 yards from the LOS.

I get that we miss Rippy but are Major, Webb, and Daigh SO busy helping out the secondary that nobody stays home to protect the middle of the field? From what I can tell, Webb overpursues. He hasn't learned how to stay put and make sure his part of the field is safe.

It's been a recurring problem. Hopefully Cabral isn't beyond scrutiny given our current situation. He's got some splainin' to do.

Your bull**** about 'top 25 teams' is pure crap. Sorry.

You do not have to apologize for your analysis. Either you will realize the error in your thoughts, or the end of the season records and statistics will just disagree with your opinions.

We're slow, small, don't execute well, and some play like they don't care.

Pericak has been a pleasant surprise and has stepped up his game. Bak has been a major dissapointment so far for me. Coming into the season he was supposed to be a future NFL prospect and so far has been beaten on a regular basis, had some bad penalties, and failed to show leadership.

This team misses Polk a huge amount. The leadership and veteran experience he could provide has been sorely missed since he has been out.

I agree with Nik that even when down this team played hard and with some emotion today. They did fall apart at the end when the defense ran out of gas. Our offense failed to control the ball long enough to give the defense any kind of break and with virtually no depth the starter just wore out.

Score by Quarters 1 2 3 4 Score
UCLA 71471442
Colorado 070714

Does that look like a game that got away from us late? It's about as consistent as you're ever going to see.

It looks so symmetrical!

Gotta agree with the camp that says we don't have playmakers. As I look at this team, our best pure athletes are on the defensive side of the ball. We've got a couple of nice running backs, and undersized QB, inexperienced and underperforming tight ends (except Kasa, who seems to get better and better), and about FIVE (5) possession receivers. Gerald Thomas might be a breakaway threat some day but he still has a high school body.

We need players.

Score by Quarters 1 2 3 4 Score
UCLA 71471442
Colorado 070714

If somebody looked at the box score they might think it was a 60 minute thumping, but if they actually watched the game they'd see a somewhat close 40 minute game, followed by a 20 minute thumping. We were in it for quite a while into the 3rd quarter, and we might have been in it for a while longer if we hadn't turned the ball over on the long pass play.

The linebacker play has been disappointing to me. VERY disappointing. Yet again the middle of our defense was wide open, and running backs coming out of the backfield for passes are absolutely not covered. That means a safety (Orms, Terrel Smith) would have to come up and make the play ... 9 yards from the LOS.

I get that we miss Rippy but are Major, Webb, and Daigh SO busy helping out the secondary that nobody stays home to protect the middle of the field? From what I can tell, Webb overpursues. He hasn't learned how to stay put and make sure his part of the field is safe.

It's been a recurring problem. Hopefully Cabral isn't beyond scrutiny given our current situation. He's got some splainin' to do.

Weakest part of a weak defense. We need to do some serious recruiting at LB or we won't stop anyone.

This year we are LB challenged. Major is flat-out slow. He tries hard but isn't close to what he was before his knee turned into an anchor. Rippy isn't close to as mobile as he was either. Webb is okay but not a playmaker, Daigh could be solid in the future but his inexperience gets taken advantage of and he isn't a speed burner either. Vigo has been a pleasant surprise but is to small to fight off blocks and gets run through by bigger ball carriers. He also is still adjusting to playing LB.

Pericak has been a pleasant surprise and has stepped up his game. Bak has been a major dissapointment so far for me. Coming into the season he was supposed to be a future NFL prospect and so far has been beaten on a regular basis, had some bad penalties, and failed to show leadership.

This team misses Polk a huge amount. The leadership and veteran experience he could provide has been sorely missed since he has been out.

I agree with Nik that even when down this team played hard and with some emotion today. They did fall apart at the end when the defense ran out of gas. Our offense failed to control the ball long enough to give the defense any kind of break and with virtually no depth the starter just wore out.

I hope no one thinks I am saying that this team doesn't try. I see that they play with emotion and they play hard.

But look at their bodies and then look at teams that are just outside the top 25....... We just aren't as big or as fast as those teams!!

Weakest part of a weak defense. We need to do some serious recruiting at LB or we won't stop anyone.

This year we are LB challenged. Major is flat-out slow. He tries hard but isn't close to what he was before his knee turned into an anchor. Rippy isn't close to as mobile as he was either. Webb is okay but not a playmaker, Daigh could be solid in the future but his inexperience gets taken advantage of and he isn't a speed burner either. Vigo has been a pleasant surprise but is to small to fight off blocks and gets run through by bigger ball carriers. He also is still adjusting to playing LB.

I go back to the Sacramento State game. Right after the game their QB said something to the effect that he noticed that the middle of the field was wide open versus CSU. So what did he do? Totally exploit the middle. And here we are after five games seeing the same thing.

I hear you about Major and speed but this is positioning and patience. I never liked picking on our kids but they're playing dumb. They need to trust the kids behind them, or just let 'em sink or swim. Stay at home and don't bite on every damn fake / play action.

If somebody looked at the box score they might think it was a 60 minute thumping, but if they actually watched the game they'd see a somewhat close 40 minute game, followed by a 20 minute thumping. We were in it for quite a while into the 3rd quarter, and we might have been in it for a while longer if we hadn't turned the ball over on the long pass play.
I saw a 60 minute thumping.

We are so accustomed to 50 point losses, we think that being within 3 touchdowns in the 4th quarter is competitive.

Play calling was sh!&$/. EB doesn't understand 'run it until they stop it' and he doesn't build on anything / set stuff up. It's all scattershot...

We run way too many spread formations for a team lacking WR - esp on 3rd and short. Thorton and Ford need more opportunities.

Webb is shell-shocked and holds the ball too long. He anticipates and facilitates > 1/2 the sacks.

Back