What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official "I'm off the bandwagon" thread

So we laid an egg. Okay...a giant egg! This team is not where we want it, but honestly, we're not as bad as that game and USC isn't that good. Chalk it up to a ****ty game, (USC got creamed by an average BC team) but we still put up over 400 yards of O on a good USC D. Sefo needs to pull his head out of his ass and stop the stupid throws...we're not good enough to overcome mistakes on the road against a top 25 team. George and MacIntyre need to evaluate the coaching on D and maybe make some offseason moves, because we're getting better but not fast enough in a conference where all the teams are improving or were already good.

Bring on the Bruins!!!

I understand why you and maybe many others may be ready to jump off the bandwagon.

But not me- I'm still firmly planted on the wagon. And I'm not going anywhere either. Sure, the SC game was awful. Big penalties. Interceptions. Porous defense. We were like the old Buffs of the past few years in this game.

I'm ready to see how this team responds. And I'm guessing it starts with a victory over UCLA next week. I think we will see a totally different team from the 2012-like performance we had yesterday.

So any new takers?

So we laid an egg. Okay...a giant egg! This team is not where we want it, but honestly, we're not as bad as that game and USC isn't that good. Chalk it up to a ****ty game, (USC got creamed by an average BC team) but we still put up over 400 yards of O on a good USC D. Sefo needs to pull his head out of his ass and stop the stupid throws...we're not good enough to overcome mistakes on the road against a top 25 team. George and MacIntyre need to evaluate the coaching on D and maybe make some offseason moves, because we're getting better but not fast enough in a conference where all the teams are improving or were already good.

Bring on the Bruins!!!

Awesome post!

I do think some changes at D could help. Are you thinking a new D coordinator? Or just replacing some assistants?

The biggest problem I can see is Mac2's loyalty to Baer or the assistants since he brought them here. We've had coaches before who were too loyal (I thought Barnett should have brought in a new O-coordinator). Maybe Rick George can make it happen?? He's brought us the facilities upgrades which is a miracle, so can he do this too?

Not off the bandwagon. I'm still very optimistic about this teams future. I don't think a lot of the folks on this board have a solid appreciation for just how big the hole is that we are digging out of. Years and years of neglect and incompetence gave us 2012. Firing Embree and hiring MM was just the first step in a long, long journey back to respectability. We still have a long way to go, and the other schools in this conference aren't going to help us out any.

In spite of yesterday's results, we are making progress. I fear that the progress may be too slow for a lot of folks.

Not off the bandwagon. I'm still very optimistic about this teams future. I don't think a lot of the folks on this board have a solid appreciation for just how big the hole is that we are digging out of. Years and years of neglect and incompetence gave us 2012. Firing Embree and hiring MM was just the first step in a long, long journey back to respectability. We still have a long way to go, and the other schools in this conference aren't going to help us out any.

In spite of yesterday's results, we are making progress. I fear that the progress may be too slow for a lot of folks.

Would you say recruiting is improving, regressing, or staying about the same over the previous two years?

Awesome post!

I do think some changes at D could help. Are you thinking a new D coordinator? Or just replacing some assistants?

The biggest problem I can see is Mac2's loyalty to Baer or the assistants since he brought them here. We've had coaches before who were too loyal (I thought Barnett should have brought in a new O-coordinator). Maybe Rick George can make it happen?? He's brought us the facilities upgrades which is a miracle, so can he do this too?
Not sure what we need on D for sure. A new DC might be too drastic? At minimum, I'd fire Neinas and free up that money to hire a new position coach who is a lights out recruiter from a PAC12 team or a nonAQ team with the same footprint, like Fresno State, SDSU or Nevada.

I also see a potential loyalty problem...that's why I mentioned George. I think it will take RG to force a change. But I assume Mac has a grading system for his coaches too and maybe he will make the tough call.

We are getting better, the problem is all the other teams (except maybe WSU) are getting better more quickly...probably because they started with a base of more talent. If we were in the ACC, we'd be bowl eligible right now. As time progresses, it's becoming more obvious the herculean task he has rebuilding this program in the PAC12.

I can see a turnaround maybe in 2015, more likely 2016.

This is sooooooo true! Not only was it a deep hole, but we are in the second best conference in the FBS with all the teams improving, except maybe WSU. Mac's system is working, he just needs time. CU can't get the kind of talent that can come in right away and make an impact, so we need time to take kids and coach them up and build them up with S&C. I see a huge improvement on O, so not sure why were not seeing such dramatic improvement on D or ST.

Would you say recruiting is improving, regressing, or staying about the same over the previous two years?

Won't be able to answer that question until we see the guys play. I am OK with some "projects" in this years class because most won't need to play right away.

To the discussion of will guys get better with time, of course they will. A man matures mentally and physically a great deal from 18 to 21.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never off the "band wagon".

But not content, either, until CU can get the ASU and USC monkey of our backs.

Still on board with MacIntyre, but he is going to have to show growth as a recruiter to stay in Buff Galaxy's good graces.

Good post. Agree 100%

I never expected a bowl game with this team and I was a bit surprised some here were predicting that. We'll see where we are after Year 3 before I'm ready to jump off the bandwagon..

My uneducated guess is that it's about the same, which is what we should expect. Expecting classes in the 30's when we are somewhere around 65 or 70 on the field is unrealistic. We hired MM because he has a record of getting more out of the players he has. We aren't going to compete, talent wise, with USC. Just not going to happen. Probably ever. That doesn't mean we can't get a little better every year and eventually start pulling classes in the 20's. you can win a lot of games with five consecutive classes in the 20's. We are still a long way from there, though. That's the sad truth.

THIS!+++

HCMM is still dealing with a bunch of 18-20 yr. old kids who have yet to even mature. Now if this was a veteran team of mostly redshirted juniors and seniors (ala Stanford and AZ), I'd think much differently about HCMM's approach.

Speaking of which, wonder how the Trees feel about Shaw right about now?

Oh and still grittng my teeth over another sh**y ref's effect on a Buff game by that "roughing the kicker" call. Mosely was clearly entangled with a blocker on that play---was he supposed to defy the laws of physics?

I know! let's ask whosis, he has a physics degree!

Last edited:
My uneducated guess is that it's about the same, which is what we should expect. Expecting classes in the 30's when we are somewhere around 65 or 70 on the field is unrealistic. We hired MM because he has a record of getting more out of the players he has. We aren't going to compete, talent wise, with USC. Just not going to happen. Probably ever. That doesn't mean we can't get a little better every year and eventually start pulling classes in the 20's. you can win a lot of games with five consecutive classes in the 20's. We are still a long way from there, though. That's the sad truth.

As B&G mentioned somewhere. Bohn is rumored to have approached some high name recognition coaches (Belloti for one) after Hawkins was fired and they all turned us down. My suspicion is the coaching world is a very small place and people know people that know the truth as to why we have been so terrible for so long. Thanks but no thanks. Hell, even the post Embree hire saw us looking dumb with Butch.

MacIntyre is an excellent coach. To your point, recruiting has to improve or Mac is going to move on either by choice or by force. If he can't attract good assistants because of TABOR, Admissions, or some other one off then the Admin and RG need to address that. Somewhow the perception that you can't win here has got to be broken. You have to conclude that any coach recruiting against us is using some of the factors mentioned against us in the living room. So far, they seem to be winning.

As B&G mentioned somewhere. Bohn is rumored to have approached some high name recognition coaches (Belloti for one) after Hawkins was fired and they all turned us down. My suspicion is the coaching world is a very small place and people know people that know the truth as to why we have been so terrible for so long. Thanks but no thanks. Hell, even the post Embree hire saw us looking dumb with Butch.

MacIntyre is an excellent coach. To your point, recruiting has to improve or Mac is going to move on either by choice or by force. If he can't attract good assistants because of TABOR, Admissions, or some other one off then the Admin and RG need to address that. Somewhow the perception that you can't win here has got to be broken. You have to conclude that any coach recruiting against us is using some of the factors mentioned against us in the living room. So far, they seem to be winning.

Tad Boyle has shattered the notion that you can't win here. He was a little lucky, though. Bz left him with a fully functional and reasonably talented roster. MM had no such luxury. Point being that there should no longer be a perception that there are obstructions here that prevent a coach from succeeding.

So any new takers?

No. I think MM is a good coach, but I am very worried that he missed a very valuable window of opportunity by losing 3 games this season in which the team had a lead in the second half, especially in two of those games where Colorado was dominating in the first half and then choked.

I wasn't ever really on them, but I'm definitely off of the Baer and Neinas wagons. They both need to go.

I do agree with those changes. Both waste of space and money, need to steal a proven DC and get a yound ST RB coach.

If we canned a Hawkins a year earlier and hired HCMM......we would be discussing WHICH bowl we would be going to.

The Hawkins hire/retention was THE worst hire in the history of modern college football. A vomitfest disaster.

Back