What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Texas State Game Thread

What did he leave on the field is what I'm seeing. The multiple missed passes and his non anticipatory play.

Guys on the radio were commenting on his lack of anticipation.
Wow. He missed some passes?!?! That's ****ing insane!! How did he ever manage to get a D1 scholarship offer missing, not just one, but MULTIPLE passes??!?!? You're right. He's garbage. Someone find us a QB who won't miss passes pls.

Wow. He missed some passes?!?! That's ****ing insane!! How did he ever manage to get a D1 scholarship offer missing, not just one, but MULTIPLE passes??!?!? You're right. He's garbage. Someone find us a QB who won't miss passes pls.
Easy TD passes, yes. That a good to decent D1 QB makes with ease. When a Freshman QB has to tell him to "play like me", meaning play from the pocket. Come on. That's elementary stuff that he should know.

That you have that opinion is fine. I'm calling into question the quality and legitimacy of that opinion based on fairly common football knowledge. You don't have to think that Montez is the next Kordell to know that he's not better just thrown into the game. The whole thing of, 'I can have my opinion, right?' is kind of a ****ty way of hiding the fact that your opinion in this case isn't really defensible. It's nothing personal. Your opinion just happened to score a 10 on my truly utter ****ingly ****tiness meter.
And by being thrown in, I meant as QB #2, he was more than decent. He hasn't shown the fire, or improvement as "the guy" in the huddle.

Easy TD passes, yes. That a good to decent D1 QB makes with ease. When a Freshman QB has to tell him to "play like me", meaning play from the pocket. Come on. That's elementary stuff that he should know.
Lol. Dude, not to be a dick but you're just not living in reality right now. You're spinning a narrative that fits your initial argument.

Shldr just threw some stats at you that pretty much completely contradict your point but you continue to grasp at straws. The Lytle rumor does nothing to support your argument, nor does anything the announcers said.

Carry on though. As you said, you are entitled to your own opinion. However, we are entitled to comment on your opinion.

Lol. Dude, not to be a dick but you're just not living in reality right now. You're spinning a narrative that fits your initial argument.

Shldr just threw some stats at you that pretty much completely contradict your point but you continue to grasp at straws. The Lytle rumor does nothing to support your argument, nor does anything the announcers said.

Carry on though. As you said, you are entitled to your own opinion. However, we are entitled to comment on your opinion.
It isn't a rumor. Montez quoted it on live radio.

It isn't a rumor. Montez quoted it on live radio.
And the press conference.

MacIntyre was trying to get through to Steven and it ended up with Montez getting frustrated. Lytle came over, said "play like me" and for whatever reason that clicked with Steven. He settled in the pocket and started looking downfield.

Vinniew_11, Damn, you're relentless. I respect the fact that you're critical of Montez. I think almost everyone on this board would agree that Montez might do well to be a little more critical of himself too. But i think we need to give him time to do that and mature, and the coaches time to develop that in him. Give the kid a chance to grow, and trust the coaches to know how to accelerate it.

And the press conference.

MacIntyre was trying to get through to Steven and it ended up with Montez getting frustrated. Lytle came over, said "play like me" and for whatever reason that clicked with Steven. He settled in the pocket and started looking downfield.
As I said, I stand corrected. However, this says more about Lylte and less about Montez. Good on Lytle for finding a way to help a teammate out. Good on Montez for respecting his teammate enough to listen. I'm not sure how that instance is being spun as anything but a positive.

If on field production is high, tolerance levels for petulance and cockiness will be high as well. Montez will have to continue to produce or coaching tolerance will drop.

Let me just put it like this: we just played against a MWC and a Sunbelt team. Would those two QB performances play well against a PAC 12 team? Are we honestly happy with the QB play considering those factors? I'm not.

Honestly, I have not been on the Montez train since the beginning. He reminds me a lot of current NFL Paxton (not college Paxton). He looks like he just doesn't get it. Lazy footwork, slow progression. I want to see a pocket passer with decent mobility. Noyer? Lytle?
Lame...kid isn't perfect....Yet. He will get better

Let me just put it like this: we just played against a MWC and a Sunbelt team. Would those two QB performances play well against a PAC 12 team? Are we honestly happy with the QB play considering those factors? I'm not.
Play to the competition level

Was at the game.

Buffs came out acting like it was a scrimmage, didn't respect Texas State and almost got embarrassed because of it early on. DL got blocked early and to often later in the game. Leo Jackson was good against the pass, after the early Stuff Javier was solid against the rush.

Montez had a rough day. Part of it is that we need Irwin back, we need Miller back for depth. LT is a position that requires a specific skill set and right now they don't have it.

Montez looked like he was pressing. He missed multiple deep balls long, and not just a little bit long. At least 2-3 with a decent pass would have been additional TDs, the WRs were in the clear.

Speaking of in the clear Lil Mac was open all day and Montez missed seeing him going elsewhere with the ball.

Overall not a good day despite the score. Buffs have a lot of young talent but the sharpness just isn't there.

Also some improvement over last year on special teams. Kicked FGs well, KOs in the end zone. The one KO coverage they had to make turned Bobo's penalty into a plus as they stopped the returner 8 yards short of the touchback line.

Punting was also solid, punt coverage looked good, they almost blocked a punt (got the tip.) Only negative, Oliver's PR fumble turned into a lucky break TD.

Last edited:
Vinniew_11, Damn, you're relentless. I respect the fact that you're critical of Montez. I think almost everyone on this board would agree that Montez might do well to be a little more critical of himself too. But i think we need to give him time to do that and mature, and the coaches time to develop that in him. Give the kid a chance to grow, and trust the coaches to know how to accelerate it.
Actually you don't respect the fact that he is critical of Montez at all. Your first response was to sarcastically call him a scholar of the game and tell him he should remove himself from this thread. Then you told him that his stating his right to have an opinion was a cover up for a poor argument against Montez. Now you complain that he is relentless in trying to defend his opinion.

To summarize some of the complaints about Montez, he is arrogant, doesn't connect with his head coach and needs a true freshman QB to calm him down. There is nothing here to indicate any type of leadership qualities that a QB is expected to have. The coaches have had a whole off season and the longest training camp ever to develop him and this is the results that people are seeing? Maybe he should sit for the next game so that he can 'mature' and grow up a little bit before the conference games start.

Let the personal attacks begin.

christ. sefo was an unbelievably good leader. he did not have better physical tools than montez. he was hurt and often badly most of last year. what made the team gel last year and finally turn the corner was leadership. sefo and others. montez may or may not get there, but we are in game 2 of him as THE MAN instead of a sub. i'll place a bet on a guy with every physical tool you could ask for AND who as a sub put up some gaudy ass numbers AND who just won his first 2 games post Sefo with qb ratings that are off the chart.

we've won with guys at qb with far less talent than this guy. he's young. we're still seeing them come together as a team. calling for a new qb right now is stupid. sorry. but, it is stupid.

Montez will need some time to grow into the starter spot. From a leadership perspective Sefo left some big shoes to fill. Personally I'd like to see some designed runs for him. He can hurt a defense with his feet if given the opportunity.

Actually you don't respect the fact that he is critical of Montez at all. Your first response was to sarcastically call him a scholar of the game and tell him he should remove himself from this thread. Then you told him that his stating his right to have an opinion was a cover up for a poor argument against Montez. Now you complain that he is relentless in trying to defend his opinion.

To summarize some of the complaints about Montez, he is arrogant, doesn't connect with his head coach and needs a true freshman QB to calm him down. There is nothing here to indicate any type of leadership qualities that a QB is expected to have. The coaches have had a whole off season and the longest training camp ever to develop him and this is the results that people are seeing? Maybe he should sit for the next game so that he can 'mature' and grow up a little bit before the conference games start.

Let the personal attacks begin.
Maybe this could be a possibility. But I doubt it. If the coaches thought they had a better option at this point, I think they would have exercised it. With that being said Montez is it for time being.

The depth has been bad for a while.

I don't take it as a great sign they seem to want to redshirt Fontenot either.

we still don't have the bodies, across the board, to be elite. that's why the apparent lack of focus today really pissed me off. we're going to have to dial it up and catch some breaks to make real noise. lindsay is a good rb. he'll be much better if and when the o-line gets its **** together.

The Buffs have a freshman pushing at Center. MM and Company are recruiting over the current talent. It is just a matter of time.

we still don't have the bodies, across the board, to be elite. that's why the apparent lack of focus today really pissed me off. we're going to have to dial it up and catch some breaks to make real noise. lindsay is a good rb. he'll be much better if and when the o-line gets its **** together.

But what do we have after Lindsay? One guy is not enough.

I was hyped for Bisharat. I know he is a freshman but he is getting stuffed at the line in garbage time so far

Back