What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Other games weekend of 9/14-9/16

****... I didn't see this thread and wrote up a watchguide. Since I already typed it up, I'm posting it, but feel free to read Mtn's instead.

(there may be other games that people care about- check your local listings):

Tonight:

• · Illini @ 22 USF 5:00, ESPN- Rooting for the Illini to open up a spot in the top 25. USF favored by 3 scores.
  • · Arizona @ UTEP 8:15, ESPN- Praying the Wildcats don’t further embarrass the Pac. They’re favored by 26 points
Tomorrow:
  • · Zoomies @ 7 Michigan 10:00, Big Ten- Go Zoomies/Chaos! Meatchicken favored by 23.
  • · 25 UCLA @ Memphis 10:00, ABC- Should be a pretty tight contest (UCLA favored by 3). Back the PAC, I guess.
  • · NIU @ nubs 10:00, FS1- HATEWATCH. Go Huskies!
  • · Baylor @ Duke 10:30 on ACC(?)-WOULD HATEWATCH IF I GOT THAT CHANNEL. Go Devils!
  • · UNC @ Colorado 12:00 on who gives a ****? You should be there- Duh
  • · 10 Wisconsin @ BYU 1:30, ABC- Should be an interesting game, even if Wisconsin runs away with it in the end. Would be good for the Pac’s SOS if BYU could eke out a win since Utah beat them
  • · SMU @ 20 TCU 1:30, ESPNU- too much to hope for SMU to knock off TCU and open up a spot in the top 25, but I’m hoping for it anyway
  • · 23 Tennessee @ 24 Florida 1:30, CBS- either way, a top 25 slot is gonna open up. Go Gata
  • · ND @ BC 1:30, ESPN- HATEWATCH. Go Eagles!
  • · CSU @ 1 Alabama 5:00, ESPN2- Are we better than ‘Bama? Probably not.
  • · Oregon @ Wyoming 5:00, CBSSN- Hooray! Hopefully the last time I have to root for Oregon this year (solely for #BackThePAC purposes). I hope the ‘Pokes put up 500 yards and 35 points, though
  • · Appalachian State @ Texas State 5:00, ESPN3- Any chance Texas State pulls off the upset and makes CU look good?
  • · 3 Clemson @ 14 Louisville 6:00, ABC- Clemson favored by 3, which seems low to me. We’ll see!
  • · ASU @ TT 6:00 (not televised)- Please can you not suck just for one game, Todd Graham?
  • · UT @ 4 USC 6:30 FOX- Not sure who I want to win less. I guess Back the Pac?
  • · Ole Miss @ Cal, 8:30 ESPN- Should be a low-key interesting game. Would be a good OOC win for either team.

Just looking at some lines this week, these ones stood out to me:
  • Tulane +35.5 @OU seems way too high. I think they'll keep it closer than that lol.
  • Purdue +7.5 @Missouri. I think Purdue wins outright.
  • CSU/Bama O/U of 54.5 seems too high. I understand why people think it will go over that but Bama pretty consistently keeps games under what's expected. Feels like a 35-17 game.

Just looking at some lines this week, these ones stood out to me:
  • Tulane +35.5 @OU seems way too high. I think they'll keep it closer than that lol.
  • Purdue +7.5 @Missouri. I think Purdue wins outright.
  • CSU/Bama O/U of 54.5 seems too high. I understand why people think it will go over that but Bama pretty consistently keeps games under what's expected. Feels like a 35-17 game.

Last time Bama and CSU played, Bama did not run up the score at all. Just played a simple game and won... 35 - 6 or something like that.

Last time Bama and CSU played, Bama did not run up the score at all. Just played a simple game and won... 35 - 6 or something like that.
That was against Saban's boy Sparkles. This one's against former Dawg Bobo. Not betting on the application of any mercy rules.

That was against Saban's boy Sparkles. This one's against former Dawg Bobo. Not betting on the application of any mercy rules.
Saban said something about Bobo's dad being a neighbor. I don't think he'll intentionally embarrass him.

I think I would take the under as well, mostly because the Bama offense is mediocre.

CSU actually played really well against Bama last time, there wasn't an opportunity to run up the score, it was 17-6 after 3 quarters and they didn't make it 31 until 1:13 left. Bama could've went harder, of course, but I think Saban almost treats these games like a scrimmage and looks for proper execution/respect for the opponent more than big stats and points, which is why he's ranted after big wins in these types of games before.

USC -16 against Texas. I'd be tempted to take the Trojans. USC just beat Stanford by 18 and the trees are light years ahead of the Horns. This one could get ugly. People in Troy believe there is a score to settle with UT.

If Alabama wanted to, they could drop 50+ on CSU and hold them to fewer than 10 points. Saban isn't going to embarrass a small time program like that, though.

I'm not sure I'd bet on it (I don't bet anyway because I don't know how lol), but I'm also kinda looking at that Mississippi State +7.5 at home against LSU. Two great defenses and Mullen has finally started loading up with JUCOs. They might be a sneaky pick to just win the game outright.

I'm tempted to peek over at goatnation to see how much they're predicting CSU will win by.
Don't see any kind of prediction, but I do see them discussing Jim Leavitt being the primary target for HC when Bobo leaves...
giphy.gif

They would be stupid not to make that call if Bobo is gone after the season.

Agree,

Leavitt is a very good coach who has had success at a mid-level program. He developed recruiting ties that would be very useful to CSU in his time at CU.

He is also potentially a Sonny type coach for them.

He is a guy who could be very successful there but who is old enough that after a couple solid season in Ft. Collins wouldn't have a lot of appeal to P5 programs looking for the next young coaching phenom to take over their programs. Had Sonny been 5 years younger no way CSU keeps him but due to his age he became their legend. Leavitt is 60 and has enough energy to coach for a number of years more but probably won't get that chance in a major conference if he doesn't get it very soon.

CU would be stupid not to give Dave Aranda a call if Mac leaves after the season as well... Doesn't mean it's a realistic option.

If he wants to ever get a P5 job again, he might need to take an intermediate step to get there. I do not really view it as that much of a reach.

Isn't it K-state or bust for leavitt? I thought that was the only way he didn't have to pay a buyout from that huge contract he got.

If he wants to ever get a P5 job again, he might need to take an intermediate step to get there. I do not really view it as that much of a reach.
Maybe, but for an older guy who's clearly a top notch P5 DC and has been a G5 HC already, I just don't see him settling for another G5 job, especially when KSU is essentially going to be handed to him when Snyder hangs it up again.

Isn't it K-state or bust for leavitt? I thought that was the only way he didn't have to pay a buyout from that huge contract he got.
It's not a huge buyout but it says everything about his intentions, maybe even plans, and I'm sure he could've gotten a CSU-level job already if he wanted.
"According to his contract, he would owe Oregon $500,000 if he leaves for any other job before Jan. 31, 2018 and $250,000 for any other job after that date but before Jan. 31, 2020. But “should he voluntarily terminate this agreement to become the head football coach at Kansas State University” his buyout would disappear."

Maybe, but for an older guy who's clearly a top notch P5 DC and has been a G5 HC already, I just don't see him settling for another G5 job, especially when KSU is essentially going to be handed to him when Snyder hangs it up again.

It is not that I expect he would take the job, more that I do not think it is a delusional overture. A lot of coaches will take notice of a second consecutive CSU coach jumps to a big job.

It's not a huge buyout but it says everything about his intentions, maybe even plans, and I'm sure he could've gotten a CSU-level job already if he wanted.
"According to his contract, he would owe Oregon $500,000 if he leaves for any other job before Jan. 31, 2018 and $250,000 for any other job after that date but before Jan. 31, 2020. But “should he voluntarily terminate this agreement to become the head football coach at Kansas State University” his buyout would disappear."
Damn, I had no idea his buyout was that low, has to be the same agent as Mac lol.

It is not that I expect he would take the job, more that I do not think it is a delusional overture. A lot of coaches will take notice of a second consecutive CSU coach jumps to a big job.
A successful P5 coordinator clearly isn't a delusional overture. However, I do believe Jim Leavitt is, due to his specific situation. As Jeric said, I think if he wanted a G5 HC job, or thought it was necessary to get him a P5 job, he'd be in one this year.

I don't think there is any doubt he could have got a head coaching job last year at a G5 school but seems like he is really waiting for a P5 job. It can wear on someone though and CsU is one of the top 10 G5 jobs out there so I don't think it is out of the question.

I'm watching at least the first quarter of this Illini/South FL game this evening. My brain is stuck on history: The Illini being a mid-level team most years and South Florida being garbage with the exception of 2 coaches. It would help us quite a bit if the Illini won, so that helps, too.

If Alabama wanted to, they could drop 50+ on CSU and hold them to fewer than 10 points. Saban isn't going to embarrass a small time program like that, though.

Since Bobo's dad is a lake house neighbor, Saban isn't going to be ruthless.

CSU HC job is just SEC coach finishing and beauty school.

Back