What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Other games weekend of 9/14-9/16

Rocky Long wasn't fired. He resigned much to the surprise of New Mexico brass. He didn't think he could take the program much higher. He was right.

My impression was that he thought the program had reached it's limit based on the budgets available and he didn't see the administration putting the money in needed to move it up another level.

This has always been an issue with UNM football. The school either hasn't been willing or able (which depends on who is telling it) to consistently fund it at a level that allows for consistent success. They have at times thrown some money at it only to turn around later and pull that money back out.

Shame because I've always thought that with a real consistent effort UNM could at minimum be consistently at the top of the MWC.

My impression was that he thought the program had reached it's limit based on the budgets available and he didn't see the administration putting the money in needed to move it up another level.

This has always been an issue with UNM football. The school either hasn't been willing or able (which depends on who is telling it) to consistently fund it at a level that allows for consistent success. They have at times thrown some money at it only to turn around later and pull that money back out.

Shame because I've always thought that with a real consistent effort UNM could at minimum be consistently at the top of the MWC.
You're right in that they have attempted from time to time to 'pump up' the football program at UNM. The problem is - at least since the Norm Ellenburger days - Albuquerque has always been a basketball town. Even with facility improvements for football (expansion to the stadium and weight facilities), attendance really has never improved and therefore capital to sustain or grow the program just has never been there. Basketball is the real revenue generator for UNM which is what is used to fund all of the other title IX sports.

UNM also has a similar problem that CSU used to have where their football stadium is 5 miles south of campus. (Which is also true of the Pit).

I know it has been brought up in Allbuffs about UNM being an expansion candidate for the PAC, but I just don't see it. There is simply not enough interested capital to make it work.

Not a good weekend for the pac-12. Stanford and ucla go down to G5 schools, USC almost loses to Texas at home. Colorado looks like crap against an fcs team. Only bright spot was cal.

I know everyone on here hates Texas, but that was one heck of a ballgame. Me being from the ut area, makes me watch them out of the corner of my left eye. Hard to root for them, but almost as equally hard to root for the spoiled children. That was a good game. Amazes me how Texas gets these freshmen QB's that are always so prepared for the next level also loved seeing Darnold getting off the ground.

I know everyone on here hates Texas, but that was one heck of a ballgame. Me being from the ut area, makes me watch them out of the corner of my left eye. Hard to root for them, but almost as equally hard to root for the spoiled children. That was a good game. Amazes me how Texas gets these freshmen QB's that are always so prepared for the next level also loved seeing Darnold getting off the ground.
Yeah, I'm definitely not a Texas hater like some on this board but college football it better when they are good. I definitely hate USC but I want them to be good and I want the Buffs to beat them when they are good. Besides, this conference needs USC to be a top 10 team annually to boost the perception of the conference as a whole.

Yeah, I'm definitely not a Texas hater like some on this board but college football it better when they are good. I definitely hate USC but I want them to be good and I want the Buffs to beat them when they are good. Besides, this conference needs USC to be a top 10 team annually to boost the perception of the conference as a whole.
Until the Mighty BUFFS replace them.

I don't hate UT. I actually like a lot about that university, program and city. I am, however, enjoying the fact that they're getting humbled. They needed that.

Since LHN launched for the 2011 season, frikin Duke has won more games than Texas. I love that.

Not a good weekend for the pac-12. Stanford and ucla go down to G5 schools, USC almost loses to Texas at home. Colorado looks like crap against an fcs team. Only bright spot was cal.

Not a good week for the SEC either. Big Ten and Big 12 look to be a cut above the other conferences this season.

seems to me the Pac12 defenses are down a bit this year. This could be huge if our offense could get going and be consistent. The old saying about D wins championships.

I assume he's referring to his his own confidence in keeping his job for very much longer... Fortunately, they get Rutgers at home this week. Surely they can beat Rutgers at home, right? Right??
If they can't beat NIU, can they be very confident in their ability to beat Rutgers? I'm not.

I'm at a point right now where I think it's a distinct possibility that NU wins three, maybe four games all year long. The trajectory of that program is decidedly negative.

Rutgers has some good football players and a bruised nub ego does not bode well - nubs lose again and the fire Riley chant gets loud.

I assume he's referring to his his own confidence in keeping his job for very much longer... Fortunately, they get Rutgers at home this week. Surely they can beat Rutgers at home, right? Right??
Yeah, such a weak thing for the head coach to say publicly, no matter how true it is. Of course that loss sucks and hurts the mentality of the team going forward. But he still has 9 games (in theory) and the team still has a chance to win 10 (in hehe theory). The mentality should be, "sorry Rutgers, nothing personal, but we are ****ing pissed about the last game and we are now going to bury you in our stadium."

But Riley and the Huskers are softer than Surveryor's comebacks, so naturally this is the quote that comes out lmao.

Bad loss by LSU, but I think too many people have been sleeping on Miss State. Several similarities to their 2014 team.
Yeah, but I'm also not a big Orgeron believer. He can recruit. But he's not a head coach, at least not so far....

NIU is probably better than Rutgers, actually.

Doesn't mean the Nubs can't lose to Rutgers, too, lol.

Back