What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac 12 network / direct tv (PACN now on fuboTV streaming)

Stepping all over yourself with contradictions. I didn't understand why it was so hard to simply say the reason you were canceling vs. your customer preference. But the longer this goes on, the stranger it's getting.

from phone

Simple. Giving DTV a reason why I am leaving isn't any of their business. They shouldn't be so nosy. Just let me disconnect online and not put me through some winback song and dance.

And just as simple would be giving a reason for that statistical sampling you were talking about.

I am not going to try and understand because frankly I won't , will just accept that is how you feel.

from phone

And just as simple would be giving a reason for that statistical sampling you were talking about.

I am not going to try and understand because frankly I won't , will just accept that is how you feel.

from phone

It's simple. I have no tolerance to hear a DTV winback/retention sales rep offer me NFL GameDay, ESPN, the B1G Network and other sports offering as a substitute for the P12. I simply elected not to open that door during my disconnect request.

If/when you change providers for whatever reason, do whatever the **** you want.

thank you

To me it was important that they know I wanted PAC 10 Network.

Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
If/when you change providers for whatever reason, do whatever the **** you want.

thank you

To me it was important that they know I wanted PAC 10 Network.

Your mileage may vary.

FWIW, it was important that I let my new tv provider know that access to the P12 was a prime factor of jumping on-board.

I choose praising the new wife over bitching about the shortcomings of the ex.

For the benefit of anybody who may be thinking about making the switch to dish; So far, so good. I've downloaded the mobile app to my iPhone and iPad. Both took a little effort with passwords & usernames and such, but it wasn't too difficult. Picture quality is very good, the on-screen directory is easy to follow, and the remote, while a little quirky, is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. The technician took the old DTV stuff and put it in the front room so that when the box comes from DTV, it'll be an easy pack-up. Not a lot to complain about. The Hopper probably isn't as good as the Genie, but the differences are so minimal that it's not a big deal to complain about it.

Last edited:
For the benefit of anybody who may be thinking about making the switch to dish; So far, so good. I've downloaded the mobile app to my iPhone and iPad. Both took a little effort with passwords & usernames and such, but it wasn't too difficult. Picture quality is very good, the on-screen directory is easy to follow, and the remote, while a little quirky, is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. The technician took the old DTV stuff and put it in the front room so that when the box comes from DTV, it'll be an easy pack-up. Not a lot to complain about. The Hopper probably isn't as good as the Genie, but the differences are so minimal that it's not a big deal to complain about it.

although minimal ...what differences are there ...

I would hate to make the switch and then find out a 'minimal' difference is actually a big one to my wife who will then remind me of it every time she uses it ..if you know what I mean :thumbsup:

although minimal ...what differences are there ...

I would hate to make the switch and then find out a 'minimal' difference is actually a big one to my wife who will then remind me of it every time she uses it ..if you know what I mean :thumbsup:

The Genie has a feature that allows you to go into a show that started a half hour ago and rewind it all the way to the start. No such feature on the Hopper. The Genie will record up to five shows at a time. The Hopper will only record three *unless* you get the primetime anytime feature, where it will automatically record all of the major networks shows every day during prime time. I had that turned off because I didn't want my DVR to get bogged down with all that junk.

The Hopper does have some features that are better than the Genie, though. For recorded shows, you can skip past the commercials with one button. No fast forwarding necessary. Just one button and it skips directly to where the show starts up again. It also has a larger capacity of up to 2000 hours, where I think the Genie is at 1,000. Not that I would ever need more than 1,000 hours on the DVR, but that's one feature that is better.

Believe me, the differences are minimal. If mrs sacky can deal with it, mrs. ITB should be able to do the same. She can call if she'd like to.

With the deal we got with dish, I'm getting more channels at less cost than I got with DTV. After a year, I'll be paying roughly the same as I was with DTV, but will still have more channels.

The "dish anywhere" app is also really cool. I suppose DTV probably has something similar, but we never bothered to use it.

The installer even took down the old DTV dish. He didn't have to do that.

So far, the experience has been very positive. I was concerned, based on our last experience when we switched to Comcast. That was a disaster. This has been a breeze.

And you need accurate data on disconnect reasons to have this correlate properly. You know, like "Skid cancelled because we didn't offer P12 vs. Skid cancelled because of consumer preference."

You think the call center managers let them type in the real reason? :rofl2:

I bet if they failed to get a save they all used whatever the current "good" excuse is in that box.

You think the call center managers let them type in the real reason? :rofl2:

I bet if they failed to get a save they all used whatever the current "good" excuse is in that box.

Not my experience at all. I'd be very surprised if a business wasn't emphasizing the need for good data on returns/cancellations. That's a standard practice sort of thing. And it's not like a customer service rep has any incentive to check one box over another. Besides, enough calls are recorded and checked that management would know if a rep was filling out false reports.

Not my experience at all. I'd be very surprised if a business wasn't emphasizing the need for good data on returns/cancellations. That's a standard practice sort of thing. And it's not like a customer service rep has any incentive to check one box over another. Besides, enough calls are recorded and checked that management would know if a rep was filling out false reports.

Thats the rub. You can listen to the recording. If you have the time to.

I had a lot of problems with a call center from one of my previous employers. Their marching orders were vastly different than sales' orders. They had, shall we say, an "operations" oriented bias.

Depends on the company.

OK. I admit I'm easily impressed by new technology. It's entirely possible that DTV has this stuff and I never bothered to use it. But the Dish anytime feature is, for lack of a better word, incredible.

On my iPhone, I can look and see what I have recorded on my DVR. I can watch anything that's stored on there at any time, any place. It probably helps to have a wifi connection.

I'm absolutely blown away by this. I feel like a kid who is learning to ride a bike. Every new feature that I find is simply incredible to me.

Last night, as my family was watching some stupid show, I was able to pull out the iPad and watch a movie. No need for a separate TV and a separate receiver. I don't have to leave the room. Just put in the earbuds and watch something totally different.

So, has this stuff been around for a long time, and I'm just figuring it out now?

OK. I admit I'm easily impressed by new technology. It's entirely possible that DTV has this stuff and I never bothered to use it. But the Dish anytime feature is, for lack of a better word, incredible.

On my iPhone, I can look and see what I have recorded on my DVR. I can watch anything that's stored on there at any time, any place. It probably helps to have a wifi connection.

I'm absolutely blown away by this. I feel like a kid who is learning to ride a bike. Every new feature that I find is simply incredible to me.

Last night, as my family was watching some stupid show, I was able to pull out the iPad and watch a movie. No need for a separate TV and a separate receiver. I don't have to leave the room. Just put in the earbuds and watch something totally different.

So, has this stuff been around for a long time, and I'm just figuring it out now?

i just bought a 6 terabyte cloud server for my house and I had a very similar reaction of amazement.

OMG, this is hilarious. So I'm goofing around with the app, and there's a button called "remote". I hit that button and an on-screen version of my remote comes up. I'm thinking: "No way, this can't be right". So I call my wife and ask her to watch the TV. I start changing channels, turning the TV off and on, etc. All from my desk at work.

I lied when I said the Hopper is probably not as good as the Genie. This thing rawks.

I know DTV could do all of that as of last summer, and Xfinity/Comcast can now as well.

Mostly, it is your old provider not bothering to tell you about the new features and/or you (or me) not paying attention.

OMG, this is hilarious. So I'm goofing around with the app, and there's a button called "remote". I hit that button and an on-screen version of my remote comes up. I'm thinking: "No way, this can't be right". So I call my wife and ask her to watch the TV. I start changing channels, turning the TV off and on, etc. All from my desk at work.

I lied when I said the Hopper is probably not as good as the Genie. This thing rawks.

Download the Thuuz app to you iphone http://www.thuuz.com/home/. It integrates with Dish and you get to be impressed all over again.

I'm having a similar experience on U-Verse.
- watch P12N on tablet sitting next to kid who is watching her program
- remote control from a mobile device
- ability to troubleshoot and resolve issues from app.
- no more annoying messages about recording conflicts (5 simultaneous)
- On Demand menu with networks and movie selection - many w/o extra charges
- DVR connects through WiFi that allows a TV to be moved around the house without a wall connection

You guys are old. All this stuff has been around awhile.

Watching your TV/DVR remotely on a smartphone? I was doing that on my treo via a slingbox in 2007.

The crazy part is that now I've now gone full circle, and this is my latest cell phone:
8998abff22b0059e3da21014b210b78d.jpg

Android phones have a built in remote for a ton of tv's and cable boxes and other stuff. Or maybe it is just LG, but the app is called quick remote.

I do think it uses LOS.

Watching your TV/DVR remotely on a smartphone? I was doing that on my treo via a slingbox in 2007.

The crazy part is that now I've now gone full circle, and this is my latest cell phone:

I get your point. I have been watching TV on my phone and tablet for years, using iTunes or YouTube or firstrow, etc.

What is fun is having a relatively seamless and effortless experience that feels familiar.

Changing real-time from ESPN to Fox to P12 to HBO on the tablet using the app is a breeze. There isn't the buffering and pop-ups and authentication and malware concerns. There are no urls. You start watching a show on TV, launch the same show using an app on the tablet to watch in the kitchen or bathroom, and then return back to your regular TV.

The billing interface makes sense. It's a hassle free integrated mobile experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't doubt it. I typically get to the technology party a few years late. I'm not the kind of guy who just has to get all the latest gizmos, but once I do get them, they usually impress the Hell out of me. I feel like a guy who gets excited about learning that we landed a man on the moon. :lol:

I get your point. I have been watching TV on my phone and tablet for years, using iTunes or YouTube or firstrow, etc.

What is fun is having a relatively seamless and effortless experience that feels familiar.

Changing real-time from ESPN to Fox to P12 to HBO on the tablet using the app is a breeze. There isn't the buffering and pop-ups and authentication and malware concerns. There are no urls. You start watching a show on TV, launch the same show using an app on the tablet to watch in the kitchen or bathroom, and then return back to your regular TV.

The billing interface makes sense. It's a hassle free integrated mobile experience.

Sure. Youtube and iTunes have been around for a while. But this is, as you say, different. I'm able to look at the same menu that shows up on my living room television set, pick a show, and watch it instantly. I'm not waiting for it to be downloaded to Youtube or to access a network stream. This is pretty darn cool.

Android phones have a built in remote for a ton of tv's and cable boxes and other stuff. Or maybe it is just LG, but the app is called quick remote.

I do think it uses LOS.
Just picked up a G3 couple weeks ago. Noticed quick remote, hadn't bothered checking it out. No real need for me, but cool feature.

from phone

Just picked up a G3 couple weeks ago. Noticed quick remote, hadn't bothered checking it out. No real need for me, but cool feature.

from phone

HTC has a remote app as well. Fun when I'm at my mom's house and she has the remote.

You do know that DTV just signed a new 8 year extension that starts in 2015 right ? So their ownership of the commercial market will continue, as well as the average sports fan. What also makes me chuckle is all the comments about how great Dish is when in truth the comments should be " I prefer less HD programming and channel choices but hey, I am saving $5 a month" Just tell the truth "Screw my family and their choices I need to watch the P12 Network" this thread is pure comedy I love it
^^This^^

And one individual leaving isn't going to change their minds, even a small group won't. What does though is when they hear it often enough. We don't know what the tipping point is but the simple fact is that television content providers are all in a battle for a limited and arguably shrinking market. Can they afford to ignore and lose a segment of the market that wants PAC12 programming.

They will never discuss that as a consideration if they don't have the active feedback that lets them know why people are leaving.

Direct has chosen to use a model that says the NFL network trumps all. Customers won't leave because they won't leave the NFL, the rest doesn't matter. They need solid numbers to tell them otherwise. They believe this strongly enough that they are willing to "lose" money on Sunday Ticket knowing that they can make it up on other programming.

Losing customers for Direct becomes a bigger issue now as their future with Sunday Ticket gets less secure. Up till this point they have known that their competition for the package consisted of Dish which has shown that it isn't interested and the cable companies who individually don't have the spending power to take it and collectively have trouble working together to make it happen.

Now there is an entirely different situation. Direct is still in the drivers seat because of their established relationship but they aren't secure.

Apple, Microsoft, and Google all have expressed interest in making serious entries into web based delivery of programming. Each has enough cash on hand to easily outbid Direct and Sunday Ticket would be their easiest route to major marketplace penetration. They would be willing to lose hundreds of millions on it to establish themselves as a legitimate option to cable or satellite.

If this happened not only would Direct face a major new competitor but they would bleed off enough of Directs customers to bring the future of Direct into question.

For all of this they can't afford to ignore losing slices of the market that individually may not be huge but make up a significant chunk in the big picture.

I've been with Dish for many years, don't have any interest in leaving. With that when the PAC12 network was coming on line I let them know that it would be enough of a factor to make me look at leaving. I know they noted it because when announcement time came around they sent me a form letter that essentially stated "Mr. MtnBuff, in response to your communication with us earlier we are happy to confirm that PAC12 network will be a part of your programming package starting XX/XX/XXXX. Thank you for your interest in this matter."

You do know that DTV just signed a new 8 year extension that starts in 2015 right ? So their ownership of the commercial market will continue, as well as the average sports fan. What also makes me chuckle is all the comments about how great Dish is when in truth the comments should be " I prefer less HD programming and channel choices but hey, I am saving $5 a month" Just tell the truth "Screw my family and their choices I need to watch the P12 Network" this thread is pure comedy I love it

Exactly what Eddie said. The overall quality (picture, channel choices, etc) of DirecTV can't be touched by Dish or Comcast/Xfinity. Additionally DirecTV has a hell of a customer service department. All I hear is anger for Comcast in that regard and the quality for their HD is 90s material. A deal will get done and I won't have anything to complain about for DirecTV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are two providers.

One is more costly than the other and has hitched its expensive wagon to the strategy that they can maintain (not grow, just maintain) by offering all these sports and commercial markets.

The other provider is known for its aggressive tactics with providers. Has spent much more on alternative products (wireless cellular, streaming services, and things outside of sat tv distribution) to diversify their business and tends to spend more on technology. If they can get their streaming to take off they will eventually be able to ditch the satellite infrastructure which would massively reduce their cost center (satellite replacement, installers, etc).

Im of the opinion that the expensive one is going to have a hard time maintaining its position. Which is probably why they are trying to sell to ATT. ATT likes the deal because it probably will allow them to offer some of DTVs content over their cable network. Or supplement it with a dish of some kind.

Last edited:
Exactly what Eddie said. The overall quality (picture, channel choices, etc) of DirecTV can't be touched by Dish or Comcast/Xfinity. Additionally DirecTV has a hell of a customer service department. All I hear is anger for Comcast in that regard and the quality for their HD is 90s material. A deal will get done and I won't have anything to complain about for DirecTV.
I noticed zero change in HD quality going from DTV to Comcast/Xfinity. I also haven't had a single issue with customer service (I had to have them come out a second time to fix something and then called in to ask how I return an added box that it turns out we aren't using).

I also get to watch TV during a blizzard, when there is nothing else to do - something that couldn't be done with DTV and my wife has complained about for years.

uhhhh, no.

After 20 pages, I learned that we need people to infiltrate direct tvs cancellation office to check p12 as the reason anyone cancels, regardless of what they actually say

Back