What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac 12 network / direct tv (PACN now on fuboTV streaming)

This is the first post that not only states the problem, but accurately shows this has turned into nothing more then a "Waiting" style "Penis Showing game"
Exactomundo. This isn't about individual CU fans being able to watch a game on Saturday afternoon. This is about revenue. And the Pac is missing out on a **** load of revenue by not having a deal in place with DTV. Now, maybe Larry Scott's game of chicken will pay much bigger dividends in the future than if her were to give in now. I don't know. Time will tell.

We all agree the PAC needs a deal with DirecTV. Where we disagree is how far you would like Scott and the PAC to bend over. Scott's "little" project is available on most every other major MSO at an already lower rate card than the other conference networks.

There are essentially three options.

1. Cut an already lowest rate card by another 60% (if rumors are true) for DirecTV. Which in effect lowers most everyone else's rate card when their favored nation clauses surely kick in. This would actually lower the carriage revenue with DirecTV than without.

2. Allow DirecTV to set precedent and offer the PACN a la carte. Nope, never going to happen.

3. Wait it out. Whether its a new director of programming, the merger with ATT, PAC having another strong year on the field, or just the passing of time -- a deal will eventually get done.

And outside the footprint presence does not equate to ZERO. Its available in many markets outside the footprint on a sports tier along with Dish customers. I have had access to the BTN since jump and have watched maybe a few minutes over the years. Visibility is a great talking point, but it all comes down to $$$. And bending over for DirecTV would be bad business with what they are offering. Scott isn't going to devalue his brand b/c DirecTV got butt hurt over Dish or gambled on PAC fans caring more about free Sunday Ticket.

Last edited:
Speaking of rhetoric.

There are essentially three options.

1. Cut an already lowest rate card by another 60% (if rumors are true) for DirecTV. Which in effect lowers most everyone else's rate card when their favored nation clauses surely kick in. This would actually lower the carriage revenue with DirecTV than without.

2. Allow DirecTV to set precedent and offer the PACN a la carte. Nope, never going to happen.

3. Wait it out. Whether its a new director of programming, the merger with ATT, PAC having another strong year on the field, or just the passing of time -- a deal will eventually get done.

And outside the footprint presence does not equate to ZERO. Its available in many markets outside the footprint on a sports tier along with Dish customers. I have had access to the BTN since jump and have watched maybe a few minutes over the years. Visibility is a great talking point, but it all comes down to $$$. And bending over for DirecTV would be bad business with what they are offering. Scott isn't going to devalue his brand b/c DirecTV got butt hurt over Dish or gambled on PAC fans caring more about free Sunday Ticket.

Thank you SD. this is what many here do not get. Some here are talking about the revenue loss of not having DTV without knowing the actual numbers. Tons of revenue would be loss if Scott gives in to DTV and I agree it would be bad for business. You would have to think that Scott has analyzed the revenue scenarios.

The minute that Larry Scott gives in to Direct and lowers the rate while allowing it to be ala carte that becomes the standard for every other provider. It may be instant due to contract provisions or it may be delayed until the next contract is due but nobody else is going to pay substantially more for the product than they know another provider is offering for.

Net result is to lose way more revenue from other providers than is gained by picking up DTV. Absolutely not worth it to the PAC.

"CUT THE ALREADY LOWEST RATE" think about that, lowest rate,..... what does that say about the product ?
It says the PAC has fans like you and others who DGAF. This isn't news, the PAC fan base (hell, fan bases in the footprint) aren't as passionate about their sports teams. I've been hearing the "so much more to do" excuse since I was a kid.

It also says the PAC owns their product 100% and aren't splitting the profits down the middle, so they can afford to not be as aggressive in their pricing. And yet, direcTV gambled on PAC fans taking the freebies vs. switching and they were right.

I am not familiar with your take. Are you arguing CU shouldn't have moved to the PAC and would be better offering brokering a deal with altitude than having all our games broadcast live in HD? Including Olympic sports.

from phone

SD those are all valid points and I have to say that if my son does not play his games when CU is playing I watch every game. I am not as big a fan of CBB (Personally think its as entertaining as watching paint dry) so what I do see I am ok with. What has me personally pissed is the fact Larry Scott made a hell of a lot of promises he has not kept. He talked about streaming, improving the conference image, so far its BS. I want to pay, hell I paid $30 a couple times in the Big XII days to watch a PPV against N TX or whomever. Instead I have been forced to make a choice, do I screw my kids out of things they like to watch, and myself out of seeing the Broncos or watch CU and change. For the record where I live its Dish or DTV, no cable. I have had both and frankly there is no comparison in spite of the rhetoric spewed here. I blame them both, but when the choice is losing my kids fav programming, and paying to watch CU or the Broncos, given entertainment value in recent history. that's a damn easy decision.

Absolutely. Your anger, frustrations and take's are well founded. When Scott made those promises, I doubt he was expecting the "sports leader" to be the hold outs. Remember, the PAC Networks were announced with partners and distribution from the four largest cable companies. That had never been done before. And we do have streaming functionality, I've been streaming to my TV since day one. (also noticed yesterday PAC N is available on Google Fiber fwiw).

But until a deal gets done with DirecTV, the networks will be viewed as a failure. I totally understand that. Its just hard for me to blame Scott here. Although in hindsight, maybe it was a misstep to come out so aggressive asking PAC fans to switch to Dish early on. Also, this point was made the first year, DirecTV had just appointed a new director of programming and he's still in that position today.

That being said, I have a feeling a deal with get done for this football season. Sure would help if the flag bearer for the conference were USC instead of a small granola town in the PNW.

SD those are all valid points and I have to say that if my son does not play his games when CU is playing I watch every game. I am not as big a fan of CBB (Personally think its as entertaining as watching paint dry) so what I do see I am ok with. What has me personally pissed is the fact Larry Scott made a hell of a lot of promises he has not kept. He talked about streaming, improving the conference image, so far its BS. I want to pay, hell I paid $30 a couple times in the Big XII days to watch a PPV against N TX or whomever. Instead I have been forced to make a choice, do I screw my kids out of things they like to watch, and myself out of seeing the Broncos or watch CU and change. For the record where I live its Dish or DTV, no cable. I have had both and frankly there is no comparison in spite of the rhetoric spewed here. I blame them both, but when the choice is losing my kids fav programming, and paying to watch CU or the Broncos, given entertainment value in recent history. that's a damn easy decision.

Ok so DTV is not forcing you to make a choice? you are putting the blame on Scott???? Did you not see that it is DTV who is lowballing the offer?????

There is streaming through other providers, so I don't get how Scott has failed his promise regarding the conference. Had the highest revenue last year.

Regarding the idea of screwing your kids over just because you selected one provider over another........all I can say is wow!

Having both DTV and Dish I agree that there's no comparison. Dish is better. Unless you are hung up on the Sunday Ticket, Dish is the superior product and it's not even close.

so the only sports you must watch is CU, damn how depressing, you have my sympathy
Having both DTV and Dish I agree that there's no comparison. Dish is better. Unless you are hung up on the Sunday Ticket, Dish is the superior product and it's not even close.

You did read what I said right? The choice is quite simple at this point, CU hasn't been able to beat their way out of a paperbag for a decade. The choice is easy, especially when my kids programming is added.
Ok so DTV is not forcing you to make a choice? you are putting the blame on Scott???? Did you not see that it is DTV who is lowballing the offer?????

There is streaming through other providers, so I don't get how Scott has failed his promise regarding the conference. Had the highest revenue last year.

Regarding the idea of screwing your kids over just because you selected one provider over another........all I can say is wow!

You realize that you sound like a crazy person right now, right?
No, he's just RIGHT.

Personally, I write off the views of people who boldly proclaim that they are thieves and then try and act like they would do the right thing, but the man won't let them.

so the only sports you must watch is CU, damn how depressing, you have my sympathy

So other than NFL Sunday ticket what sports can't I watch on Dish that I might want to? Anything more important to me than the PAC12 Network? Don't think so.

That's a pretty big leap of logic there, don't you think?

Just because I have no interest in watching the Jacksonville/Tennessee game doesn't mean I don't watch the NFL. I just don't need every single game, every single week.

I also watch hockey. I get Altitude and never miss an Avs game that I want to see.

News flash: DTV isn't the only provider that shows sports. It IS the only provider that DOESN'T show the P12 network, though.

You did read what I said right? The choice is quite simple at this point, CU hasn't been able to beat their way out of a paperbag for a decade. The choice is easy, especially when my kids programming is added.
1) So you aren't interested in watching CU - got it - won't try to defend it
2) What kids programming is DirecTV offering that is available no where else?

Oh I watch CU, I just do it via the greatness of XBMC/ or the new platform known as Kodi in 720p. I would prefer to pay for it, but hey it is what it is
The kids programming there are 2 specific channels they like that are not on Dish, 1 of the Disney channels, and 1 of the Nick channels. I would have to pull the channel lineup for the exact channels
1) So you aren't interested in watching CU - got it - won't try to defend it
2) What kids programming is DirecTV offering that is available no where else?

SIAP but what are people's thoughts on TV services in the future? I know a number of people who have bought the streaming devices such as Apple TV, iTunes, Roku, Netflix, etc. for a moderate up front cost and then pay a monthly fee for each that totals well below what a consumer typically pays for Comcast, Direct-TV or Dish. I'm not too familiar with all the details of each but those type of services are seemingly becoming more popular. From everything I've heard, you can get pretty much any normal cable TV channel/show on any of those devices and the only drawback is the live sporting events. However, MLB and NBA League Pass are both available on Roku, but that doesn't compare to the demand for the NFL packages. There's talk that, once their deal is up with Direct-TV, the NFL could pursue a deal with Google to stream games on YouTube. This would be a game-changer, IMO, and would really force the big cable providers to change their business strategy. The other downside is it wouldn't provide an outlet to watch the P12 Network in the foreseeable future, causing problems for us Buff fans.

At the end of the day, I love that some other big name companies are attempting to provide competition in the TV business, as it only benefits the consumer. It'll be interesting to see how the NFL handles it when their current TV contracts are up, but one can only think, Google will put a pretty nice bid together to get the contract.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/08/nfl-sunday-ticket-youtube-google-rights

SIAP but what are people's thoughts on TV services in the future? I know a number of people who have bought the streaming devices such as Apple TV, iTunes, Roku, Netflix, etc. for a moderate up front cost and then pay a monthly fee for each that totals well below what a consumer typically pays for Comcast, Direct-TV or Dish. I'm not too familiar with all the details of each but those type of services are seemingly becoming more popular. From everything I've heard, you can get pretty much any normal cable TV channel/show on any of those devices and the only drawback is the live sporting events. However, MLB and NBA League Pass are both available on Roku, but that doesn't compare to the demand for the NFL packages. There's talk that, once their deal is up with Direct-TV, the NFL could pursue a deal with Google to stream games on YouTube. This would be a game-changer, IMO, and would really force the big cable providers to change their business strategy. The other downside is it wouldn't provide an outlet to watch the P12 Network in the foreseeable future, causing problems for us Buff fans.

At the end of the day, I love that some other big name companies are attempting to provide competition in the TV business, as it only benefits the consumer. It'll be interesting to see how the NFL handles it when their current TV contracts are up, but one can only think, Google will put a pretty nice bid together to get the contract.

This has been discussed ad nauseum, but my personal opinion on it is that I would need that new Dish Sling package for $20/month - but have the ability to play on multiple TVs at the same time, then add Fox Sports, Pac 12 Network, and the 4 broadcast networks in a combined offering that isn't a cludgy workaround that takes 5-10 minutes of monkeying with settings everytime I flip on the power. What am I paying at that point? $50/month? The next question would be how much do I end up paying extra for broadband without the TV package connected to it.

My bet is the cost savings isn't massive - maybe $25-$50/month for the pleasure of going from 200 channels to about 20.

I would still probably do it, but it isn't the nirvana folks are hoping for, IMO.

I still think a lot of people do it to supplement their existing service versus replace them. I think the dvd/blu ray market has taken the biggest hit from these streaming services.

As I mentioned earlier NFL Sunday Ticket could be seen as the device that allows an alternative TV delivery system (online) to become a valid contender. It's the thing that would move the market away from the younger linked in generation and early adapters and capture the masses.

The contenders in this market include a number of very cash rich corporations that if they decided to could almost force the NFLs hand. Microsoft, Google, Sony, Amazon, etc. may very well be willing to put up hundreds of millions in cash above what Direct is paying in order to make their platforms a viable contender in place of cable or satelite.

Yeah, ad naseum. The delivery system will be changing and getting tweaked over the years, but the MSO's and content providers will get their money one way or the other. When cord cutting starts eating into the business model, they'll adapt.

Last edited:
Oh I watch CU, I just do it via the greatness of XBMC/ or the new platform known as Kodi in 720p. I would prefer to pay for it, but hey it is what it is
The kids programming there are 2 specific channels they like that are not on Dish, 1 of the Disney channels, and 1 of the Nick channels. I would have to pull the channel lineup for the exact channels
I just double checked the difference in kid's shows. Dish doesn't have Disney Jr and then only has Disney and Nick West instead of Disney and Nick East and West like DirecTV does.

Personally, I think my kids have their heads in the TV too much as it is. That would not be my excuse for not switching.

Its not the #1 reason the National Football League is, and when you live in the heart of Dallas Cowboys country and your a Broncos fan you have DTV, and as I pointed out the Broncos have won more games by the end of October then the Buffs have in 4 seasons. If it costs me money I want to be entertained, not throw S**t at my TV. My kids programming is just an additional reason.
I just double checked the difference in kid's shows. Dish doesn't have Disney Jr and then only has Disney and Nick West instead of Disney and Nick East and West like DirecTV does.

Personally, I think my kids have their heads in the TV too much as it is. That would not be my excuse for not switching.

Its not the #1 reason the National Football League is, and when you live in the heart of Dallas Cowboys country and your a Broncos fan you have DTV, and as I pointed out the Broncos have won more games by the end of October then the Buffs have in 4 seasons. If it costs me money I want to be entertained, not throw S**t at my TV. My kids programming is just an additional reason.
So you will pay extra for the Broncos (NFL Sunday Ticket) on the most expensive provider (DirecTV) and then pirate the Pac 12 feed for the Buffs. It is all about priorities. No one can tell you yours are wrong, it just isn't my path.

So you will pay extra for the Broncos (NFL Sunday Ticket) on the most expensive provider (DirecTV) and then pirate the Pac 12 feed for the Buffs. It is all about priorities. No one can tell you yours are wrong, it just isn't my path.

I think EddieCrowder might be Rob Lowe.

The scenario that Eddie describes is the only one in which DTV is a better product than Dish. I don't blame him for sticking with DTV given his circumstances. If I wanted to watch the Broncos and lived in another city, I'd probably want DTV as well. Luckily, I never miss a Broncos game because I live in Colorado.

And now I have the P12 network and pay 2/3 of what I paid DTV. I'm very happy with my decision.

People are confusing the Sports packages versus TV/Entertainment consumption model on a broader scale. Some studies show that only about 20% of the households care about sports programming but that programming accounts for a huge portion of the cost of cable packages. A la carte services are here and will be growing stronger - the impact on things like Pac 12 networks are still unknown.

A la carte Link.

Back