What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac 12 network / direct tv (PACN now on fuboTV streaming)

You do know that DTV just signed a new 8 year extension that starts in 2015 right ? So their ownership of the commercial market will continue, as well as the average sports fan. What also makes me chuckle is all the comments about how great Dish is when in truth the comments should be " I prefer less HD programming and channel choices but hey, I am saving $5 a month" Just tell the truth "Screw my family and their choices I need to watch the P12 Network" this thread is pure comedy I love it
Interesting. I've had both. I have Dish right now and don't see one difference between channel's and HD.

After 20 pages, I learned that we need people to infiltrate direct tvs cancellation office to check p12 as the reason anyone cancels, regardless of what they actually say

Are you suggesting that people who are not DircTV customers might consider making pre-emptive disconnect calls to the DirecTV cancelation / winback call center to cancel imaginary accounts for purposes of increasing the count of disconnect reasons related to DTV's failure to carry the P12 Network?

Exactly what Eddie said. The overall quality (picture, channel choices, etc) of DirecTV can't be touched by Dish or Comcast/Xfinity. Additionally DirecTV has a hell of a customer service department. All I hear is anger for Comcast in that regard and the quality for their HD is 90s material. A deal will get done and I won't have anything to complain about for DirecTV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The marketers got this one.

pou_7153.png

I get your point. I have been watching TV on my phone and tablet for years, using iTunes or YouTube or firstrow, etc.

What is fun is having a relatively seamless and effortless experience that feels familiar.

Changing real-time from ESPN to Fox to P12 to HBO on the tablet using the app is a breeze. There isn't the buffering and pop-ups and authentication and malware concerns. There are no urls. You start watching a show on TV, launch the same show using an app on the tablet to watch in the kitchen or bathroom, and then return back to your regular TV.

The billing interface makes sense. It's a hassle free integrated mobile experience.
Um, no. I'm not talking YouTube or iTunes or other random streaming sites. I was watching whatever was on my home TV or DVR, changing between live channels and watching anything I had recorded, using an dedicated "app" with an on screen remote that behaved just like my remote at home *before the first iPhone was released*.

It was an amazing party trick in early 2007, and it was available with a surprisingly easy and simple installation process (you had to click on a link on a website to install the software on your phone instead of looking in an app store, but after that, touch an icon on the screen and viola, live TV just like you were sitting at home). Sling, treo and Tivo all did a poor job marketing and utilizing their first mover advantage, but they really were way ahead of their time in terms of what you could do with a home internet connection and a phone back then.

Being on the cutting edge of tech is fun; I just have different priorities these days.

Last edited:
You do know that DTV just signed a new 8 year extension that starts in 2015 right ? So their ownership of the commercial market will continue, as well as the average sports fan. What also makes me chuckle is all the comments about how great Dish is when in truth the comments should be " I prefer less HD programming and channel choices but hey, I am saving $5 a month" Just tell the truth "Screw my family and their choices I need to watch the P12 Network" this thread is pure comedy I love it

Exactly what Eddie said. The overall quality (picture, channel choices, etc) of DirecTV can't be touched by Dish or Comcast/Xfinity. Additionally DirecTV has a hell of a customer service department. All I hear is anger for Comcast in that regard and the quality for their HD is 90s material. A deal will get done and I won't have anything to complain about for DirecTV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're both flat-out wrong. The reason I have posted so much about my experience in switching to dish is because I feared that what you are claiming would be the truth. I've found it to be far from it. I get just as many HD channels as I had before (actually more, because I was able to upgrade the package at half the cost of what I was paying DTV). The cost is less, the service is outstanding, the features are impressive. I was worried I'd be downgrading my service in some way and it turns out that the service was upgraded - substantially. Dish really IS better than DTV. I never thought I'd say that, but it's true. I've had them both.

I guess I come at this from a different perspective, we all realize that if you want to see all the games there are alternatives to DTV. That's great for us. My point would be that with the new 8 year extension, DTV will continue to be the only provider for sports bars and most sports loving families across the nation. And while the extra revenue would be nice from a DTV deal, not being able to tell a recruit outside of the "footprint" that his family can watch every game seems laughable. This thread has morphed into middle-aged CU fans announcing they can watch the Buffs whenever they like, great - but that isn't the audience I'm concerned about reaching.

Um, no. I'm not talking YouTube or iTunes or other random streaming sites. I was watching whatever was on my home TV or DVR, changing between live channels and watching anything I had recorded, using an dedicated "app" with an on screen remote that behaved just like my remote at home *before the first iPhone was released*.

It was an amazing party trick in early 2007, and it was available with a surprisingly easy and simple installation process (you had to click on a link on a website to install the software on your phone instead of looking in an app store, but after that, touch an icon on the screen and viola, live TV just like you were sitting at home). Sling, treo and Tivo all did a poor job marketing and utilizing their first mover advantage, but they really were way ahead of their time in terms of what you could do with a home internet connection and a phone back then.

Being on the cutting edge of tech is fun; I just have different priorities these days.

Thanks for the follow up description.

I have not been a slingbox or treo user. I have been a TiVo and AppleTV user.

Basically the tv providers are now offering the slingbox functionality (both live & recorded anywhere) plus the video on demand of a Netflix or ITunes plus the remote control that phones already have plus a troubleshooting / customer support function, plus access to interactive video gaming and weather, plus a limited line-up of exclusive programming, plus caller ID pop-up on TV screen, in HD.

If you have a slingblade box connected to your TV/Cable box, you no longer need it.

I guess I come at this from a different perspective, we all realize that if you want to see all the games there are alternatives to DTV. That's great for us. My point would be that with the new 8 year extension, DTV will continue to be the only provider for sports bars and most sports loving families across the nation. And while the extra revenue would be nice from a DTV deal, not being able to tell a recruit outside of the "footprint" that his family can watch every game seems laughable. This thread has morphed into middle-aged CU fans announcing they can watch the Buffs whenever they like, great - but that isn't the audience I'm concerned about reaching.

We'd all love to see a deal done with DTV. I don't think there's anybody here who wouldn't like to see that happen. The point that is being made is that there are solid alternatives to DTV for the average consumer. If I were a huge NFL fan, I'd want Sunday Ticket. But I'm not. So I don't care if I don't have that. I'm not so naieve to think that there aren't a large number of people for whom the Sunday Ticket is a big deal.

Dish bought this technology, and it remains awesome.

After 20 pages, I learned that we need people to infiltrate direct tvs cancellation office to check p12 as the reason anyone cancels, regardless of what they actually say

Are you suggesting that people who are not DircTV customers might consider making pre-emptive disconnect calls to the DirecTV cancelation / winback call center to cancel imaginary accounts for purposes of increasing the count of disconnect reasons related to DTV's failure to carry the P12 Network?
I was just impressed he read 20 pages. Most of us just jump in and state our mind regardless of the posts up to that point.

There are so many holes in the "exclusivity" of Sunday Ticket that DTV is going to find its value decreasing every year. The holes are so big and would be so easy to patch that one could almost say the NFL isn't all that interested in making it "exclusive" except for the fact that DTV keeps giving them so much money that they continue to pretend that it's the only way to do it. Hell, getting access to the P12 network online stream is far, far more difficult than getting access to Sunday Ticket.

And I'm not talking about pirating feeds for free from some seedy website full of pop up ads; I'm talking about actually paying the NFL or Pac12 and them providing you access to a stream. It's possible for both, incredibly easy for one, and insanely difficult for the other.

I was just impressed he read 20 pages. Most of us just jump in and state our mind regardless of the posts up to that point.

Tractor is a real go getter.

He's the kind of man who should call the Independence Community College switchboard to see where they are on driving DirecTV P12 related cancellation numbers.

We'd all love to see a deal done with DTV. I don't think there's anybody here who wouldn't like to see that happen. The point that is being made is that there are solid alternatives to DTV for the average consumer. If I were a huge NFL fan, I'd want Sunday Ticket. But I'm not. So I don't care if I don't have that. I'm not so naieve to think that there aren't a large number of people for whom the Sunday Ticket is a big deal.

For all the hot air this is the gist of it. If you are a NFL fan then Direct has a clear advantage. I'm not that big a fan of the NFL, I am a big fan of PAC12 football and the Buffs. Result I get to pay less, get outstanding picture quality (and no Direct doesn't have better picture quality) more channels I want, and have had outstanding customer service the few times I have needed to use it.

Direct has chosen their strategy, they are going to ride the NFL Sunday ticket as long and far as they can. I think that the added cost of them doing that and the resulting higher price for their customers is going to limit the effectiveness of that strategy over time.

Sunday Ticket will always remain a powerful factor for them, I just wonder about hitching your entire future to it.

In the mean time I am more than happy to watch my Buffs on Dish.

I don't doubt it. I typically get to the technology party a few years late. I'm not the kind of guy who just has to get all the latest gizmos, but once I do get them, they usually impress the Hell out of me. I feel like a guy who gets excited about learning that we landed a man on the moon. [emoji38]
Sacky is the new DBT.

Interesting. I've had both. I have Dish right now and don't see one difference between channel's and HD.

Put the entire channel lineup next to one another and you will find out how much less HD programming is available via Dish, and as for the "They are aggressive and blah,blah,blah, blah" They have to be they are second banana, always have been, and no matter what they do they remain there. And bit players like the P12N will do absolutely nothing to change that.

This is the first post that not only states the problem, but accurately shows this has turned into nothing more then a "Waiting" style "Penis Showing game"

There are so many holes in the "exclusivity" of Sunday Ticket that DTV is going to find its value decreasing every year. The holes are so big and would be so easy to patch that one could almost say the NFL isn't all that interested in making it "exclusive" except for the fact that DTV keeps giving them so much money that they continue to pretend that it's the only way to do it. Hell, getting access to the P12 network online stream is far, far more difficult than getting access to Sunday Ticket.

And I'm not talking about pirating feeds for free from some seedy website full of pop up ads; I'm talking about actually paying the NFL or Pac12 and them providing you access to a stream. It's possible for both, incredibly easy for one, and insanely difficult for the other.

Like the holes in the P12N that allow me to watch it for free 365 24/7 in 720P,(pop-up free, and add free by the way) are those the kind of holes your talking about ? And Yes I would 100% pay for this if Larry had thought about it before he tied his dick to people and made promises that have hogtied his little project to the point its irrelevant to 90 percent of the viewing public.
I have always seen this as Larry Scott completely overplaying his hand, Everyone talks about the "Non-Growth" factor of DTV and all the attached rhetoric. REALLY ? because I see them holding the biggest card. Also in that "Growth" equation the P12N is as stagnant as the day it went on the air. An outside the footprint its presence equates to ZERO, which in turn leaves the PAC 12 right where it has always been, an after thought unless your SC in football, or Zona in BB. But hey Larry has it going on right ?

Geez!!!
Ok, having DTV would be great. But if you look at the way is set up right now it seems like everyone wants Larry Scott to bend backwards to have the Pac12 on DTV. Many of you don't care that DTV is offering the Pac12 waaaay less than what they offered SEC (ESPN) and the Big Ten.This is a business guys!!!!! Pac12 is the only one of the 3 conferences to have 100% ownership in the network. That is why DTV is trying to lowball the offer.

There are options outside of DTV to watch the Pac12 Network!

Oh yeah and regarding being able to tell a recruit that their family can watch them on DTV? Are you serious????? In this day and age if a family wants to see their son play they will have a way to watch the network. Please tell me how many recruits we have lost because they say "Oh shoot Pac12 Network is not on DTV. I am so sorry but because of that i am not going to your school or any of the schools in your conference".

This is a business guys!!!!!! If the Pac12 accepts the lowball offer from DTV then we will be doing a permanent devaluation of our network. Oh yeah and the other networks will want lower rates too.

i WOULD LOVE TO BE ON dtv as I think it is a big deal and will celebrate when it happens. However it has to be under fair terms.

Put the entire channel lineup next to one another and you will find out how much less HD programming is available via Dish, and as for the "They are aggressive and blah,blah,blah, blah" They have to be they are second banana, always have been, and no matter what they do they remain there. And bit players like the P12N will do absolutely nothing to change that.

Brought to you courtesy of the Direct TV PR department.

I don't care about Sunday ticket. What else can't I get in HD on Dish that I actually want to watch? I really don't care if they have HSN in HD, not watching it anyway. Every significant channel that I watch on Dish is in HD. I do care that I get PAC12 Network in HD, Direct won't give me that and they cost more as well.

The much less programming comment sounds like a Direct TV ad but doesn't carry any weight. You can watch Direct, I'll watch what I want and pay less.

Guys DTV can do this deal by offering the same they are offering to the other conference networks. It is as simple as that.

the ball is on their court. Larry Scott is not asking for anything far above and beyond from that.

Back