What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Recap of CU-Cal

:canabis: :smokin: :tini: :finger2: :cheers: :finger:

:cheers: :beer: :asshole: :hippie:

Man, you guys have some great smileys over here. Wish we had some of these...

1. Well played if you're admitting historical defeat on the gridiron and redirecting me to that one thing to which all Cal fans cling.

2. Poorly played if you're suggesting that your academics somehow impact your success on the field, since you get in players that we can't (odd, isn't it. I wonder if CU athletes make fun of Cal athletes for their diminished academic standards).

1. Well played if you're admitting historical defeat on the gridiron and redirecting me to that one thing to which all Cal fans cling.

2. Poorly played if you're suggesting that your academics somehow impact your success on the field, since you get in players that we can't (odd, isn't it. I wonder if CU athletes make fun of Cal athletes for their diminished academic standards).
Gotta be #1. It has a weakness though.

Your post wasn't so cryptic that I didn't get your point. It was your point that made me embarrassed for you.

You don't think that every CU fan is well aware of the state of our program? Do you really think that anybody here believes that this gets turned around in 2013 or 2014? We were quite literally the worst team in the nation.

If you were to read our Football Forum you would only see doom and gloom.

But a couple of asides:

1. Henderson is an Oregon grad that delights in illuminating warts in the CU athletic department. Everything he writes is designed with an agenda in mind, and that agenda is to make him look like a ****.

2. For recruits, our 1990 National Championship is as distant as your 59 Rose Bowl, I concur. Even our last BCS appearance (we chose not to let Texas stand in our way, though Oregon did) is too distant for recruits to recall. But our fan base was quite present at our last National Championship, and that somewhat fuels our expectations. Big difference.

3. For many reasons, teams have ceilings. Sometimes it's a geographic recruiting advantage (Texas and Florida), or an historical name (Notre Dame). But between schools, history shows that some have a higher ceiling than others, for seemingly arbitrary reasons. CU has proven time-and-time again to have a ceiling that can be repeatedly in the top 5 in the nation. Sustainable? No. But repeatedly in national contention. Cal has never demonstrated that capacity--though I can't specifically identify the limiting factor.
The answer to why you've been more successful than us is that Mountain hippies like sports a lot more than City Hippies. Seriously, Cal athletics suffered from 50 + years of institutional and cultural neglect. We have in recent years just begun to change that. We've just spent $470 million on facilities upgrades that would have been unthinkable ten years ago. Because that upgrade needs to be paid off with winning programs, we now have a commitment to winning that hadn't existed in my lifetime. We are located in a talent rich area. With that, the new world class facilities, a desirable location and a reputation for academic excellence, I would argue that the paradigm has changed and that competing for National Championships in the revenue sports is within our reach.

Your situation is quite different, in football at least. The paucity of Div 1 talent in your immediate area forces you to recruit very well on the West Coast and nationally. With the ascension of the Oregon schools, the improvement of the Pac 12 in general and every other program that poaches those areas, recruiting for you has gotten tough. Add to that your reputation these last few years as a bottom dweller and you've got a very difficult situation. You may have hit your ceiling 15-20 years ago and may have a very long climb to ever approach it again consistently.

I hope for your sake I'm wrong.

You abide by the timeshigh ranking and I abide by hightimes.

http://hightimes.com/legal/bean/7854

Two rankings in the top 10!

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

How the hell do we rank so low?

4540929977_fdaf47cb5b.jpg

The answer to why you've been more successful than us is that Mountain hippies like sports a lot more than City Hippies. Seriously, Cal athletics suffered from 50 + years of institutional and cultural neglect. We have in recent years just begun to change that. We've just spent $470 million on facilities upgrades that would have been unthinkable ten years ago. Because that upgrade needs to be paid off with winning programs, we now have a commitment to winning that hadn't existed in my lifetime. We are located in a talent rich area. With that, the new world class facilities, a desirable location and a reputation for academic excellence, I would argue that the paradigm has changed and that competing for National Championships in the revenue sports is within our reach.

Your situation is quite different, in football at least. The paucity of Div 1 talent in your immediate area forces you to recruit very well on the West Coast and nationally. With the ascension of the Oregon schools, the improvement of the Pac 12 in general and every other program that poaches those areas, recruiting for you has gotten tough. Add to that your reputation these last few years as a bottom dweller and you've got a very difficult situation. You may have hit your ceiling 15-20 years ago and may have a very long climb to ever approach it again consistently.

Check out the bigs words from the new guy. :five:

Personally, I would have thrown in something about Nebraska not caring about them ever but I understand the need to maintain your rep meter in the green.

Check out the bigs words from the new guy. :five:

Personally, I would have thrown in something about Nebraska not caring about them ever but I understand the need to maintain your rep meter in the green.
He tries wayyyy too hard.

Regarding paragraph one. We'll see.

Regarding paragraphy two. You're not telling me anything new, here. But don't underestimate the crazy college football cycle. Oregon won't be there forever, USC will be down. California kids have always been attracted to Boulder, and that was when we weren't even playing in their footprint. We may have peaked, I don't know, but with some incremental progress, I believe we can pull quality athletes out of California.

el oh el

I hope that you eat some bad mushrooms and piss outta yer ass for three days all the while believing that you've given birth to the new Ralphie.
Not gonna happen. up in the mountains, we get fresh mushrooms. That's how we get pics like teets's signature. We send the dirty, peed on shrooms to you city hippies.

Not gonna happen. up in the mountains, we get fresh mushrooms. That's how we get pics like teets's signature. We send the dirty, peed on shrooms to you city hippies.
Can't we just send the bad ones to WhOregon? Their FB players would love those.

and i would have worn my tux

Umm teets, you know that wasn't a job interview we did for those ladies? And the cop that showed up due to the "noise complaint" wasn't a cop either. Didn't you wonder why your tux didn't have a shirt?

Umm teets, you know that wasn't a job interview we did for those ladies? And the cop that showed up due to the "noise complaint" wasn't a cop either. Didn't you wonder why your tux didn't have a shirt?

Shirts are for Cal grads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Back