What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sefo Liufau v Steven Montez

Starting QB when Sefo is back

• Total voters
Montez showed yesterday that he is not quite ready for the big time. He is close and he has a ton of talent, but we needed the experience of Sefo yesterday.
Agreed. Montez is raw but has huge upside. He'll learn. I just hope CU supplies the coaching needed to develop his talent over the next three years. Unfortunately, Liufau wasn't ready physically and he's susceptible to getting rusty when not used.

I was actually proud of the coaches for sticking with him yesterday, that was invaluable reps and experience against the most talented team in the PAC. Coaches got. Behind him and showed they still believe in him.

Steven montez's medium range throws looked good. His deep and short throws did not. He drifted into pressure too many times, and held on the ball too long.

These things are probably fixable, but thats what the off season is for. I'm glad they left montez in, switching qbs is usually a bad idea mid game.

But sefo should get the start against asu unless he has a set back with his ankle.

I was actually proud of the coaches for sticking with him yesterday, that was invaluable reps and experience against the most talented team in the PAC. Coaches got. Behind him and showed they still believe in him.

If Sefo was ready he would have either started or stayed in, he wasn't. Forcing a hobbled Sefo wouldn't have been good for Sefo or the team.

Gerke is only the answer if he nobody else is standing or we are up by 70.

Even though we lost going with Montez was the right choice.

Had Spoon held the last INT and we had won the game (likely outcome) what would be the narrative today. How many would be saying Montez should start the rest of the season regardless of Sefo's health?

Does Montez throw the ball too hard?

Some of those incompleted slants we deflected up into the middle field. I don't think its a trait you want to train out of a qb, so maybe its just a learned quality by experience.

Does Montez throw the ball too hard?

Some of those incompleted slants we deflected up into the middle field. I don't think its a trait you want to train out of a qb, so maybe its just a learned quality by experience.
I'd say no. It's supposed to be a more swift pass. That is unless you want a safety or linebacker to take your head off.

If Sefo was ready he would have either started or stayed in, he wasn't. Forcing a hobbled Sefo wouldn't have been good for Sefo or the team.

Gerke is only the answer if he nobody else is standing or we are up by 70.

Even though we lost going with Montez was the right choice.

Had Spoon held the last INT and we had won the game (likely outcome) what would be the narrative today. How many would be saying Montez should start the rest of the season regardless of Sefo's health?
I would argue that strategically putting Liufau in at certain times would have helped us - to start the second half and start the 4th quarter.
Still not sure what the game plan at the end of the first half was...let time run down, don't kick, horrible play call.

I was to, I'm wondering if Mac may not have one on the future a bit only 2 wins from bowl eligible.

I would argue that strategically putting Liufau in at certain times would have helped us - to start the second half and start the 4th quarter.
Still not sure what the game plan at the end of the first half was...let time run down, don't kick, horrible play call.

If he had been healthy enough to contribute solidly in those time frames he would have been healthy enough to start the game. The time he was in was only because Montez was hurt and Gerhke isn't a viable option.

Sefo's ankle is going to be a problem the rest of the season so they'd better figure something out.

ASU will blitz like mad so I like Sefo this week assuming he can move on his ankle. Montez seems to be more reluctant to run when the pocket starts to breaks down. Screen plays could work with great effect against the blitz happy devils.

ASU will blitz like mad so I like Sefo this week assuming he can move on his ankle. Montez seems to be more reluctant to run when the pocket starts to breaks down. Screen plays could work with great effect against the blitz happy devils.
What makes you say that ASU will blitz like mad? I didn't see the UCLA game but the commentary after the ASU-USC game was that ASU is not blitzing much because they have a very young secondary.

They brought a lot of pressure against UCLA, Rosen was hammered by ASU. If Montez starts ASU will probably try to bring pressure.

Not sure they won't bring pressure regardless of the QB.

From last week, I wonder why they don't roll Montez out more often, he seems to throw the ball well while on the move. That should certainly put Montez more in control than the drop back.

What makes you say that ASU will blitz like mad? I didn't see the UCLA game but the commentary after the ASU-USC game was that ASU is not blitzing much because they have a very young secondary.
Would think forcing a quicker read/throw helps their secondary. Plus I believe it's Graham's MO.

Would think forcing a quicker read/throw helps their secondary. Plus I believe it's Graham's MO.
It is Graham's MO but he has not been doing it this year. Blitzing requires solid coverage because you are putting your secondary in 1-1 situations and good receivers (which we have) can exploit poor coverage. If Graham wants to blitz with an iffy secondary, I like our changes regardless of which QB plays.

Not sure exactly what he was trying to get across but Montez does say at the end (2:05 mark) that he thinks it is going to come down to experience. I think he believes it is going to be Sefo's team if he is back healthy.

Not sure exactly what he was trying to get across but Montez does say at the end (2:05 mark) that he thinks it is going to come down to experience. I think he believes it is going to be Sefo's team if he is back healthy.

Sefo has sacrificed his health for this team, time and time again. It is his team if he can play. Montez will have another 2-3 years to ball out.

CugUliYUIAA-uy1.jpg:large

I assume this has already been covered, but would Awini be a candidate for a medical hardship waiver, or is this it for him?

Sefo goes if he's ready but it's important to have Montezuma ready. I don't know how Sefo's ankle is yet but I'm pretty damn sure it's not 100. He plays on it and it's bothering him, he's not gonna tell anybody. Hope for the best.

Back