What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tennessee/Virginia Tech to play at Bristol Motor Speedway in 2016

Nice Hokie, busy weekend for you. Take some pics man, sure everybody would like to see that scene.

Are they really going to get 150k fans to this game?

Yes. As Hokie said over 150K already sold, they sold it out last spring. To add to the party, Chesney is playing a concert there on Friday night. And it's likely that College Gameday will be broadcasting from Bristol. This is gonna be Woodstock meets college football.

When I was there for the race a couple of weeks ago there was quite a few UT fans there and a few scattered VT fans. I was talking to a VT fan and he said he expected it to be around 60-40 in favor of UT fans, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's more like 2/3 UT fans.

That video board in the middle is suspended by cables attached to 4 towers that were recently installed outside each corner of the track. It's quite a spectacle the way that thing is suspended in mid-air.

20160820_184957.jpg 20160820_143434a.jpg

Last edited:
This is Tennessee and Virginia Tech we're talking about here. They'll deliver the attendance. Tennessee could probably do it on their own.

Yes. As Hokie said over 150K already sold, they sold it out last spring. To add to the party, Chesney is playing a concert there on Friday night. And it's likely that College Gameday will be broadcasting from Bristol. This is gonna be Woodstock meets college football.

When I was there for the race a couple of weeks ago there was quite a few UT fans there and a few scattered VT fans. I was talking to a VT fan and he said he expected it to be around 60-40 in favor of UT fans, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's more like 2/3 UT fans.

Yeah, I'd venture a guess of around 2/3. As diehard as VT is, they aren't at their peak and Tennessee is on another level in terms of fanbase.

Let's see, at 15 seconds per lap, they could do a 60 lap race at half time.

College Gameday has made it official that they will be at Bristol next week. Not surprising at all given the magnitude of this event, plus there's no other big games on the week 2 schedule.

156,990 official attendance. finally got around to sorting my pix and thought one or two of you might be interested.

Lots asked how bad the view/sightines would be -- see for yourself, not that bad. 1st half we were in the corner -- I could see the action on the field and follow the play, but no chance of identifying players or jersey numbers. 2nd half we were 50 yard line row 35 and it was like being at a normal football stadium.

Back story on my attendance at this game. Wife wanted a vacation renting a cabin outside of Great Smoky Mtn NP and wanted to invite her parents, brother, sister & family to join us, our treat. She wanted one day of the vacation to be dedicated to 4 hours of driving time across the border into Abingdon, VA to visit her 96 yo grandmother. I agreed on the contingency we schedule the trip around this game.

Great time, bad result, but Tenn looks legit.

I think this record could stand a while. I"m not sure what other venue with larger capacity would be a reasonable site for a football game.

Go Buffs! Go Hokies!

20160910_195530.jpg DSC00663.jpg DSC00673.jpg DSC00679.jpg DSC00690.jpg DSC00696.jpg DSC00697.jpg

156,990 official attendance. finally got around to sorting my pix and thought one or two of you might be interested.

Lots asked how bad the view/sightines would be -- see for yourself, not that bad. 1st half we were in the corner -- I could see the action on the field and follow the play, but no chance of identifying players or jersey numbers. 2nd half we were 50 yard line row 35 and it was like being at a normal football stadium.

Back story on my attendance at this game. Wife wanted a vacation renting a cabin outside of Great Smoky Mtn NP and wanted to invite her parents, brother, sister & family to join us, our treat. She wanted one day of the vacation to be dedicated to 4 hours of driving time across the border into Abingdon, VA to visit her 96 yo grandmother. I agreed on the contingency we schedule the trip around this game.

I think this record could stand a while. I"m not sure what other venue with larger capacity would be a reasonable site for a football game.

Go Buffs! Go Hokies!

View attachment 20765 View attachment 20766 View attachment 20767 View attachment 20768 View attachment 20769 View attachment 20770 View attachment 20771
Must have been pretty cool to have been a part of that!

could be a part 2. My guess is that BMS made more off that game than any NASCAR event over the last 5 years. They're rumored to be targeting the ND@VT game in 2018.

Smith said. “We’re pleased with the results of the game. There’s a process, it’s not a simple thing to put together, but we’re definitely working on that and have been working on that even beginning before the game in September. We’re not ready to announce a schedule at this point but we’re certainly working to that goal.”
link

could be a part 2. My guess is that BMS made more off that game than any NASCAR event over the last 5 years. They're rumored to be targeting the ND@VT game in 2018.

link

Makes a lot of sense financial from both sides.

The track already has all the infrastructure in place. Every day they don't use it cost them money, great revenue generator.

For the teams it's a chance to be part of an event that draws attention to their programs while making both schools money.

Pretty limited number of these things you could do but this one makes sense.

link

Is there any link to the rumor other than the thread on techsideline? BTW, the format on that site sucks, looks just like lambnation.

I would hate to see VT do that and it sounds like the Tech fans would hate that too. I can't imagine ND fans fitting in at Bristol.

Is there any link to the rumor other than the thread on techsideline? BTW, the format on that site sucks, looks just like lambnation.

I would hate to see VT do that and it sounds like the Tech fans would hate that too. I can't imagine ND fans fitting in at Bristol.

ND seems like a bad fit for this. Sure, national fanbase yada yada, but they aren't cut out for the SEC environment of Bristol. Not their cup of tea.

1. TSL is my only source, but if you assume that one team has to be either VT or UT and looking at the next few years of both VT and Tenn's schedules, ND@VT in 2018 is the best option. Every other opponent for both schools for the next 3 years has visited either Lane or Neyland before, and failed to generate the interest needed to warrant doing a B@B2.

UT has WVU in 2018. this is a new series, not reviving a rivalry. it may generate good interest, but they already sold that game to the Charlotte NFL stadium.

other possible options are further out: Penn State @ VT in 2020 is my next best guess. 2021 has Michigan and ND again for VT. '21 and '22 have a home/home VT and WVU series that has some potential.

2. posted before, but tsl actually switched to a vbulletin based format months before I joined AB. It turns out that the format of the message board is a big influence on the type and rhythm of conversations, and fans screamed to bring back this style. The change was not managed well, and there are certainly lessons to be learned for message board managers there. TSL eventually switched back, but lost a lot of their membership in the churn and has still not recovered. TSL, ramnation, and netbuffs, are all owned by SportsWar.

Regarding the ND-VT game in 2018, I would think that FedEx Field is also a possibility for that game. But hopefully they keep it in Blacksburg

Go Buffs! Go Hokies!

View attachment 20765 View attachment 20766 View attachment 20767 View attachment 20768 View attachment 20769 View attachment 20770 View attachment 20771
Were there any good crashes?

Back