What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Fresno State game. Win, or Lose?

Will CU beat FSU?

• Total voters
Cal is also a top notch school.
not quite in the same league - well I guess they are in the same league, so are we, but I digress. Berkeley, much to the consternation of bears everywhere, doesn't carry the same cachet as Stanford - especially in the hard sciences and engineering (aka "what you want to study if you want to get a real job when you graduate").

not quite in the same league - well I guess they are in the same league, so are we, but I digress. Berkeley, much to the consternation of bears everywhere, doesn't carry the same cachet as Stanford - especially in the hard sciences and engineering (aka "what you want to study if you want to get a real job when you graduate").

Come on, the lists I've seen, Cal as well as USC, UCLA and UW are also rated much higher than CU. I'm not sure what water your argument is trying to hold, but it's pretty leaky.

Come on, the lists I've seen, Cal as well as USC, UCLA and UW are also rated much higher than CU. I'm not sure what water your argument is trying to hold, but it's pretty leaky.

Jason Kidd ruined Cal's reputation. :lol:

Shouldn't have put the play on words in there (i.e. "we're in the same league" - we are, it's called the Pac-12, which, at the end of the day is a sports league - just as the Ivy League is a sports league).

My overall argument is that Stanford legitimately belongs in the academic conversation alongside institutions such as Harvard & MIT. The other P12 schools (including Cal) do not. If you are a student that academically belongs in that particular conversation, and you also happen to be an accomplished enough athlete to compete at the highest D1 levels, often the only school that allows you the opportunity to really grow in both areas is Stanford. That's their monopoly - we're not breaking it except in very narrow circumstances; neither is any other P12 school.

Well, Furd has been competitive in every sport they field for a very long time, except for FB. After their athletic endowment became what it is today, one of the biggest in the country, it allowed them to focus more energy on football. Furthermore, they have a very unique recruiting market, which they have all but monopolized, the Elite athlete who also happens to be very smart. They are now set up for football success. Next year should be a "down" year at about 8-9 wins. In a couple years they will be BCS good, once again.
Good post and yeah I know they have always had other good programs. They have been solid in football every so often as well. I do have a question tho, do the student athletes have the same requirements to get into Stanford as a regular student? Only asking cause I dont know, alot relax their admissions.

Good post and yeah I know they have always had other good programs. They have been solid in football every so often as well. I do have a question tho, do the student athletes have the same requirements to get into Stanford as a regular student? Only asking cause I dont know, alot relax their admissions.

Of course they relax their admissions. Everyone does.

Edit: But I am sure their admissions standards are higher than CU's for athletes.

Well I guess they are good at finding athletes who are smart too. Yes I know they probably relax their admissions, youd never know it watching them on tv when they reference their academics 500 times.

Well I guess they are good at finding athletes who are smart too. Yes I know they probably relax their admissions, youd never know it watching them on tv when they reference their academics 500 times.

In general, when you watch the interviews with the kids on Stanford's teams you can tell that they are a well educated bunch.

Shouldn't have put the play on words in there (i.e. "we're in the same league" - we are, it's called the Pac-12, which, at the end of the day is a sports league - just as the Ivy League is a sports league).

My overall argument is that Stanford legitimately belongs in the academic conversation alongside institutions such as Harvard & MIT. The other P12 schools (including Cal) do not. If you are a student that academically belongs in that particular conversation, and you also happen to be an accomplished enough athlete to compete at the highest D1 levels, often the only school that allows you the opportunity to really grow in both areas is Stanford. That's their monopoly - we're not breaking it except in very narrow circumstances; neither is any other P12 school.

Totally agree. I would jump at the chance at a football scholarship to Stanford. You get to play for a legitimate D-1 football program if you want NFL exposure, plus your degree is likely to get you a 6 figure job straight out of school if NFL isn't an option.

This is a pretty uninformed post my friend. The hard sciences is where Cal excels. In fact the top 3 engineering schools in the country are MIT, Berkeley, and Stanford. 90% of Berkeley's programs rank in the top 5 in the nation, 95% in the top 10. The only school with a higher number of top ranked programs than Cal is . . . Harvard. Cal faculty and labs have also discovered 4 elements. That's pretty hard science. The only reason why people outside of academia might place ivies not named Harvard or Yale ahead of Berkeley is because they have no idea what they are talking about and read some ranking in some magazine called US News. Which takes into account class size for 30 % of your overall score. So basically, it doesn't matter that Berkeley dwarfs Stanford with Nobel Laureates, because of its size, it will never be ranked top 10 by them. Fortunately, most world rankings [which don't place such a heavy emphasis on size] have Berkeley in the top 10, while most of the ivies/ND's/ and Dukes of the world are well behind.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2010-2011/reputation-rankings.html

http://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/2011/10/06/the-worlds-top-universities/

http://www.shanghairanking.com/

etc . . .

Really, most of the Ivies have no business being in the same conversation as MIT, Stanford, Berkeley, etc. Harvard, Princeton, and Yale are the exception.

If US News ever reworks their formula to reduce the class size %, Berkeley would make the top 5 instantly, and UCLA wouldn't be too far behind. Interestingly enough, a few years ago Stanford's President wrote an open letter to US News asking them to do just that. He specifically pointed out that Berkeley was ranked far too low (21st) and that it was obviously better than many of the schools ahead of it. He cited their ranking as being "utterly misleading" and that it should be in the "top half dozen" of all universities.

Last edited:
If Stanford is so smart then why do they settle for a retarded tree as a mascot?

Players are fools if they expect that the Stanford stadium will provide an electric gameday experience. This is a fanbase filled by snooty prats that are embarassed about being seen cheering with druken abandonment at something as pedestrian as a football game.

Last edited by a moderator:
newkid, I agree with what you are saying for the most part, but how do you leave Cal-tech off your list? Poly tech? both are excellent schools. You and I might have different rankings, but I like to use salary for my ranking since it is not subjective.

Either way Stanford must do an excellent job of marketing because my perception is that they are superior to Cal even though research might prove otherwise. That said if I had to pick one school for engineering it would be MIT, for business it would be Stanford, for Finance Columbia and for an MBA or law degree it would be Harvard but I am doing just fine with my CU degree.

newkid, I agree with what you are saying for the most part, but how do you leave Cal-tech off your list? Poly tech? both are excellent schools. You and I might have different rankings, but I like to use salary for my ranking since it is not subjective.

Either way Stanford must do an excellent job of marketing because my perception is that they are superior to Cal even though research might prove otherwise. That said if I had to pick one school for engineering it would be MIT, for business it would be Stanford, for Finance Columbia and for an MBA or law degree it would be Harvard but I am doing just fine with my CU degree.

Cal Tech is an elite school, with out a doubt. I could have mentioned it, i didn't mainly for the same reasons most people don't really talk about it. It's an insanely small school with a very small core concentration. Hell, I grew up in Brentwood and new almost nothing about it. It also has one of the most self selective applicant pools. Cal tech is not really many people's dream school. You probably go there because you are already working on research in a particular field and have a specific mentor in mind you want to work with. It's sort of apples to oranges. Though they may be exquisite apples.

As far as Stanford, I'm not so sure that it's marketing as much as it is exclusivity. If you are as good as Cal or Stanford you are already on a different level, now, if you also happen to be very small, which Stanford is, you are instantly more exclusive.

Rankings based on salary are good in theory. It only really works if you look at it on a program by program basis. And even then, it's tricky. If you have a smaller school like Caltech, your median is bound to be higher than say even Harvard. But that's because you have Harvard grads in the social sciences bringing down the numbers, where as Caltech only spits out scientist. Also, if you are comparing schools like Dartmouth, bastions of nepotism and old money, with a school like Michigan, which is a vastly superior research institution and has more top 10 programs, you will still get misleading numbers. The Dartmouth grad even from a similar program, with even the most meaningless major stands to earn a lot more money, a lot sooner. Reason being he/she probably comes from it. But if you want another list, Berkeley is 9th in most Billionaires produced. Admittedly, Stanford is 2nd. I believe the only other P12 school in the top 20 is USC. This according to Forbes.

Realistically, I think US News is the main reason for the perceived gap between Stanford and Berkeley. The average soccer mom helping her kid fill out apps is far more likely to read that list, than look at zfacts and real world numbers. The only major difference I've seen between the two undergrads: if you want few distractions and be guaranteed good grades, go to Stanford, they have the resources to ensure that you do. If you want to be prepared for the real world, in every sense possible, go to Berkeley. At the graduate level, there is no difference. Berkeley grad programs are filled with Stanford grads, and ditto for Stanford grad programs.

Personally, after I narrowed down my college choices to two Ivies and Berkeley I chose Berkeley because I wanted a real "college town" experience. For that same reason, I never applied to Stanford, but I can definitely see why others would. When I applied to graduate school, Cal and MIT were the top 2 programs in my field, I didn't apply to MIT because I'd always thought it was a terrible campus, plus I always saw Cambridge as Berkeley 2.0 with bad weather and more republicans (not that its a bad thing). So I opted to go to Columbia mainly because I wanted to live in NYC, even though the program there was ranked in the high teens. I'm pretty happy with my choices and feel I got the best of both worlds.

This is a pretty uninformed post my friend. The hard sciences is where Cal excels. In fact the top 3 engineering schools in the country are MIT, Berkeley, and Stanford. 90% of Berkeley's programs rank in the top 5 in the nation, 95% in the top 10. The only school with a higher number of top ranked programs than Cal is . . . Harvard. Cal faculty and labs have also discovered 4 elements. That's pretty hard science. The only reason why people outside of academia might place ivies not named Harvard or Yale ahead of Berkeley is because they have no idea what they are talking about and read some ranking in some magazine called US News. Which takes into account class size for 30 % of your overall score. So basically, it doesn't matter that Berkeley dwarfs Stanford with Nobel Laureates, because of its size, it will never be ranked top 10 by them. Fortunately, most world rankings [which don't place such a heavy emphasis on size] have Berkeley in the top 10, while most of the ivies/ND's/ and Dukes of the world are well behind.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2010-2011/reputation-rankings.html

http://www.forbes.com/sites/susanadams/2011/10/06/the-worlds-top-universities/

http://www.shanghairanking.com/

etc . . .

Really, most of the Ivies have no business being in the same conversation as MIT, Stanford, Berkeley, etc. Harvard, Princeton, and Yale are the exception.

If US News ever reworks their formula to reduce the class size %, Berkeley would make the top 5 instantly, and UCLA wouldn't be too far behind. Interestingly enough, a few years ago Stanford's President wrote an open letter to US News asking them to do just that. He specifically pointed out that Berkeley was ranked far too low (21st) and that it was obviously better than many of the schools ahead of it. He cited their ranking as being "utterly misleading" and that it should be in the "top half dozen" of all universities.

newkid slapped!

Personally, after I narrowed down my college choices to two Ivies and Berkeley I chose Berkeley because I wanted a real "college town" experience. For that same reason, I never applied to Stanford, but I can definitely see why others would. When I applied to graduate school, Cal and MIT were the top 2 programs in my field, I didn't apply to MIT because I'd always thought it was a terrible campus, plus I always saw Cambridge as Berkeley 2.0 with bad weather and more republicans (not that its a bad thing). So I opted to go to Columbia mainly because I wanted to live in NYC, even though the program there was ranked in the high teens. I'm pretty happy with my choices and feel I got the best of both worlds.

Uhhh...

Have you been to a college town?

Here's how it was explained to me by people that I know that attended Cal and Stanford.

It's harder to get into Stanford. However, it's harder to graduate from Cal.

Being a private entity the name Stanford carries more weight than Cal. Both are excellent schools, but if given the choice I would have gone to Stanford. Neither is a bad choice though.

Here's another thing I've noticed. Stanford tends to lack true talent at the skill positions (except QB, mind you). But their OL recruiting is out of this world. OL seem to be some of the brightest guys on the team. You can build a team with a quality OL and a serviceable set of RBs. We'd win a lot more games if our OL was as good as theirs.

Uhhh...

Have you been to a college town?

Ah, well with the caveat that I was only looking at top ranked schools on the coasts. It's my opinion that Berkeley is the closest to a normal college town of that tiny pool of schools. Ton of restaurants, bars, huge student population, big time sports, greek scene etc. Clearly, I wasn't talking about finding the best college town overall.

On August 1st, there is a major convention in Palo Alto wherein free BJs are given to stanford players and alumni by convention attendees. Sounds like many of you should sign up :nod:.

BTW...I've spoken with our Junta and Skidmark is being made an honorary Golden Bear alumnus and will be conferred a degree of his choice. This, on the basis that we don't have to teach him anything- He is smart enough and naturally conveys our animosity towards furd. His starting salary is $174,000 a year and he can keep posting on AllBuffs during the day. His X-mas bonus of course, would entail an additional 25% merit increase based on his quality of photoshopped furd failures. And yes, we can afford to pay him this out of alumni donations...

Ah, well with the caveat that I was only looking at top ranked schools on the coasts. It's my opinion that Berkeley is the closest to a normal college town of that tiny pool of schools. Ton of restaurants, bars, huge student population, big time sports, greek scene etc. Clearly, I wasn't talking about finding the best college town overall.

If we're talking both coasts, UVA gives Berkeley a run for its money, and is even higher ranked some years. Now, UVA people are obnoxiously arrogant calling their campus "grounds", and themselves "first years, second years, etc.", but if you're looking for an excellent college town combined with perhaps the top public university in the nation, Charlottesville is it. IMO. If you're a west coast guy, I totally get Berkeley. But in the "college town" department, Charlottesville has Berkeley beaten.

If we're talking both coasts, UVA gives Berkeley a run for its money, and is even higher ranked some years. Now, UVA people are obnoxiously arrogant calling their campus "grounds", and themselves "first years, second years, etc.", but if you're looking for an excellent college town combined with perhaps the top public university in the nation, Charlottesville is it. IMO. If you're a west coast guy, I totally get Berkeley. But in the "college town" department, Charlottesville has Berkeley beaten.

Been a few times, and let me tell you how much it sucks to wear an oxford and tie to a football game. I considered it, but I grew up in LA, spent time in SF and NY as a kid and loved it too much . . . I wasn't moving to the south. Being right outside of SF was too much of an upside. Now, if you could transplant UVA across the Hudson, I'd give you a nod.

Anyway, this has been a great intro to your board. The younger Newkid is starting at your school this fall so I'll be around.

Now that I think of it, Berkeley (the college town) is just the west coast version of Charlottesville. Just very Norcal-y. I'll take the school outside of a major city.

Last edited:
Been a few times, and let me tell you how much it sucks to wear an oxford and tie to a football game. I considered it, but I grew up in LA, spent time in SF and NY as a kid and loved it too much . . . I wasn't moving to the south. Being right outside of SF was too much of an upside. Now, if you could transplant UVA across the Hudson, I'd give you a nod.

Anyway, this has been a great intro to your board. The younger Newkid is starting at your school this fall so I'll be around.

Gotta agree with you on the ties thing, but I do respect it from the tradition aspect. Given your background, I understand why Charlottesville seems distantly "southern" to you, but frankly Charlottesville is one of the closest towns you'll ever find to Boulder in terms of overall culture/vibe, etc. Certainly very different from your other stereotypical southern college towns like a Clemson or Auburn.

Good luck to your son/daughter, and may he/she enjoy numerous bragging rights when the Buffs beat the Bears most of the time!

I know who you are now. You're a So Cal Berkeley grad whose kid is attending CU next semester...welcome to the most f*cked up board in the PAC. Your welcome committee here is going to be brutal BTW...hope you like fetching beer and sammies.

Go Bears!

I know who you are now. You're a So Cal Berkeley grad whose kid is attending CU next semester...welcome to the most f*cked up board in the PAC. Your welcome committee here is going to be brutal BTW...hope you like fetching beer and sammies.

Go Bears!

Haha, brother will be a buff, I'm not yet 30. But other than that, yes, Go Bears!

Now that I think of it, Berkeley (the college town) is just the west coast version of Charlottesville. Just very Norcal-y. I'll take the school outside of a major city.

Welcome. Stop by our tailgate at Farrand Field. Learn to hate us. :wink2:

Haha, brother will be a buff, I'm not yet 30. But other than that, yes, Go Bears!

Ah...younger bro even better. In addition to holding the t.v. remote control hostage on any given day, make sure you give him Indian burns and second degree titty twisters and when he puts on the Gold and Black (or Silver and Black), punch him in the neck. Tell him it was from flukes...Your hazing on ALLBUFFS begins soon bra...stay the course.

Last edited:
Ah...younger bro even better. In addition to holding the t.v. remote control hostage on any given day, make sure you give him Indian burns and second degree titty twisters and when he puts on the Gold and Black, punch him in the neck. Tell him it was from flukes...Your hazing on ALLBUFFS begins soon bra...stay the course.

We're not even done hazing you yet. :smile2:

Back