What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Time for Montez?

Although i agree,
This doesn't work when the coach is set on throwing the ball
This. The running game was working effectively with Adkins and Lindsay. Why go away from that other than to run a play action or toss in a passing play every 5-6 plays? It almost seemed like Lindgren was hell bent on forcing the passing game to succeed.

To put him in now would be wrong. The teams first game last year was a cluster. They turned things in a positive direction after that. Let's see the next two weeks before we throw a young man to the wolves

Sefo is the guy...enough blaming. He is allowed one bad game. The real issue seemed to be preparation and execution on offense. Poor execution at the O-line....especially against an undersized, inexperienced Dline. Poor routes. Timing issues.

These are coaching issues. It reminds me of how we were last year the first couple of games. Leavitt was intense and had his defense prepared (even with a lesser roster and BRAND NEW schemes!). How did the rest of the coaches run their fall camp?

Would be a huge mistake.

A lot of the mistakes I see Sefo make look like the kind that come from bad habits developed playing when he wasn't ready.

Montez isn't going to make better decisions than Sefo right now, he isn't going to be a leader, he will be more worried about just knowing what he is doing back there.

Sefo was under constant pressure, recievers dropped catchable balls, special teams left the offense in bad position. Putting Montez in won't fix those things.

Sefo is not getting ripped for just one game.

Sefo is the main reason that our offense was decent last year. He has a long way to go with his accuracy and decisions...but you could do much worse.

The real issue is preparation...and that is a coaching issue.

He has his 20th start next week. Why does he still have a long way to go with decision-making?

He has his 20th start next week. Why does he still have a long way to go with decision-making?

Partly bad habits from playing before he was ready and partly because they haven't coached him out of the bad decisions.

I expected him to take a big step forward this year in decision making. So far doesn't look to be the case.

The line was more of a problem than sefo was. Did he mis some throws, yes but he was pretty good on some runs. The line was donkey balls though

Lots of strong conclusions on the offense after one game. One game isn't a trend.

Lots of strong conclusions on the offense after one game. One game isn't a trend.

So I can expect Sefo to cut down on mistakes and the coaches to truly commit to the run any game now? Or do I need to wait 20 more games to reach a strong conclusion? Some of these conclusions are not based on one game.

That's the real issue here. When the coaches elected to pass on bringing in an upperclassman to challenge Sefo this year, that said it all. They are planning on Sefo being the guy this year and next year.

Yeah, not sure what they were looking at, unless they thought Sefo was guaranteed to progress and get better.

Last edited:
I thought you couldn't form strong conclusions based on one game? How'd you decide this was an anomaly?
I think Lindgren has shown enough the prior two years and at SJSU to warrant giving it more than a game.

Like I said in the other thread, next three weeks will say a lot about this staff.

I think Spruce might have been playing hurt....took away some of Sefo's security blanket.

I know that the backup QB is always the most popular QB, but in this case don't we all pretty much agree that G-man is not the guy, and Aspay is a good backup, but not good enough to beat out Sefo, so... what now?

Is it time to put in Montez and let him go? My guess is he doesn't know the playbook enough but neither did Sefo when he went in for Wood.

IMO, the answer is no, you need to go with strengths, and last night that was running the ball. That is what I am pissed off the most about, is that it was obvious what was working and what wasn't, and they went away from where they were having success, and stayed solidly in the area where they were struggling. SO while I have questioned what Sefo can and cannot do, right now my issue is more with what plays the OC is calling. I am old school and feel that if a team isn't stopping the run, you ******* run it down their throat until they can stop it. But the occasional (one in six plays or so) pass keeps the defense guessing a bit.

I thought that Sefo would solidify things and be the guy next year, but now I don't know. On the other hand, while I hated that Sefo slid early and didn't fight for the first down early in the game, whoever said that he was like that all night was crazy. He hammered that Hawaii defensive guy he hit in the second half. And ran and fought. Once again, a blocked punt, fumbled punt return, and the like put him behind and he tries too hard I think. It takes him out of better decisions.

The MWC refs were certainly kind to the MWC team playing last night, and I doubt that if the refs were trying to *** around to run time out at the end of the game on purpose, that they could have done it any better than they did.

Oh....and WTF is up with the team taking it's sweet assed time getting back into formation when time is running out? The ref thing sucked, but we blew a ton of time on the last drive just acting like there was ten minutes left.

I need to sleep now and I am still too pissed to go to bed. Bernardi is on the list as far as I am concerned. That pass blocking is unacceptable for year three. I would say Lingren and Toby too, but unless things change none of them will make it our of this year as Buffs coaches, starting at the top.

CU needs to move in the direction of a true Dual Threat QB. Sefo ran more effectively than he threw the other night, but he is by no means a true DT QB. The QB running needs to be a big part of the offense. It's the great equalizer when you don't have top talent.

Normally, I do fall into the "backup qb is the savior" trap, but not in this case. I believe Sefo is by far the best qb on this roster. That being said, I don't think any of the qbs on this roster would be the starter on a division 1 football team.

But DrunkPanda, I hear you say, Colorado IS a division 1 football team.

No, no it is not...

CU needs to move in the direction of a true Dual Threat QB. Sefo ran more effectively than he threw the other night, but he is by no means a true DT QB. The QB running needs to be a big part of the offense. It's the great equalizer when you don't have top talent.
When you have a pocket qb who is more effective with his feet than with his arm, you know you have a serious problem

I expect the offense to improve and this game was an anomaly. Sue me.
You're right. After going undefeated last year and winning the national title, it certainly was an unusual event to lose to Hawaii. But this is college football, shocking upsets do happen, we should still expect to be in the running for a repeat national title, which would be more the norm for our team in recent times, than this extremely unusual event of losing the game

Not saying it's time. But interesting how there are a dozen teams playing freshmen over veterans. They seem to want the most talented, most athletic player on the field. That works sometimes.... Sefo was better then veteran Wood... Maybe Montez is better then veteran Sefo?
As a coach you need to get the ball in the hands of the player that can
" take over" a game.

Talent is better then experience in lots of situations. Qb is one. Tebow might not be the best Qb? but the dude wins. just sayn. Vince Young one that rose bowl, got tired of trying to get help from his teammates and just did it.

Back