What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tourney thread- Men's b'ball at 2021 Paradise Jam (St. Thomas, V.I.; 3rd/ final game vs. Brown, Monday, 11/22, 1:15 PM MT, ESPN3)

It's utterly maddening that we're unable to dominate an Ivy league team. Not even a good Ivy league team like you occasionally see at Princeton/Yale/Harvard. It's freaking BROWN and we're barely able to keep pace with them.
A brown team that was beating North Carolina on the road at half. What is utterly maddening to me if that a lot of the fan base doesn't understand how college basketball works. We have a rotation that's all freshman and sophomore. Preseason we were hopping for 17-20 wins. We are still very much on pace for that. We are young, we were expecting growing pains. What more do you want?

A brown team that was beating North Carolina on the road at half. What is utterly maddening to me if that a lot of the fan base doesn't understand how college basketball works. We have a rotation that's all freshman and sophomore. Preseason we were hopping for 17-20 wins. We are still very much on pace for that. We are young, we were expecting growing pains. What more do you want?
Was beating north carolina with 8 minutes left.

That was ugly but a win.

Again, I'll ask: why does the team take 25+ minutes to get going?

It's utterly maddening that we're unable to dominate an Ivy league team. Not even a good Ivy league team like you occasionally see at Princeton/Yale/Harvard. It's freaking BROWN and we're barely able to keep pace with them.
Brown is a pretty good team THIS year, for Ivy league anyway....

I hope they had fun on the island, that was a lot of tense basketball on a slippery, sloppy surface.

I'm ready to hear crowds and watch better quality video, and generally see better basketball.

Just how we drew it up. Pretty awful tournament for us. Thankfully snuck away with just one loss. Could and should have been worse with how we played. Move on and learn from it. Will need to be much better if we want to win any road games. Jabari and Battey saved that game.

That's on UNC, nothing special special about Brown. And Parquet and Battey are key components of the rotation, they are seniors so "all freshman and sophomores" is blatantly false.

That was ugly but a win.

Again, I'll ask: why does the team take 25+ minutes to get going?
Why do you keep saying that? Two games ago we were up 11 to 1 to start the game. It's typical of Tad's teams to have long stretches of ineptitude. They don't always happen at the beginning of games.

Why do you keep saying that? Two games ago we were up 11 to 1 to start the game. It's typical of Tad's teams to have long stretches of ineptitude. They don't always happen at the beginning of games.
Exactly, didn't take long to get going there. Then end up losing the game because can't sustain or build on a lead while the opponent is struggling, then can't close the deal.

That's on UNC, nothing special special about Brown. And Parquet and Battey are key components of the rotation, they are seniors so "all freshman and sophomores" is blatantly false.
You need to tap into those island vibes.

I'm not eager to have huge takeaways from playing in front of 43 people in hot, humid, slippery conditions.

The team doesn't know how to impose it's will, but it does know how to compete.

Yeah - a better question is why the long stretches of ineptitude, year after year?

Yeah - a better question is why the long stretches of ineptitude, year after year?
It's a feature of college basketball, and our program is way more focused on defense and rebounding, so the offense is always more likely to be a weak point.

I'm not happy when they have dry spells, but I think if you watch other teams as closely as you watch the Buffs you'll see that it's relatively common for teams to have those sorts of stretches where they can't buy a bucket.

Would love to see some numbers put to it to illustrate how streaky offenses are, and where we rank.

Just how we drew it up. Pretty awful tournament for us. Thankfully snuck away with just one loss. Could and should have been worse with how we played. Move on and learn from it. Will need to be much better if we want to win any road games. Jabari and Battey saved that game.
The hard part of this tournament is CSU is a lot better than CU right now. Hats of to Nico Medved, who can really coach.

You need to tap into those island vibes.

I'm not eager to have huge takeaways from playing in front of 43 people in hot, humid, slippery conditions.

The team doesn't know how to impose it's will, but it does know how to compete.
Well maybe that's why Brown was able to make a game of it - they are from an island too (Rhode Island), sort of. Island advantage. But the humidity in the tropics is a real factor to players from Colorado. Like the Buffs have the "welcome to 5400 feet above sea level" signs up in Boulder, maybe the UVI has "welcome to 99% humidity" signs in the locker rooms to intimidate teams like CU. Who knows, but somehow we did impose our will for one half of one game this season (UNC Bears), so they get in the mindset and I think they do know how.

Yes and Parquet and Battey are exactly who we thought they were. Battey is averaging 13 a game and is our emotional leader and Parquet is a defensive menance that is limited offensively but a great. They are playing to our expectations.

And if that's on UNC then why do mid majors ever beat high majors. Why does Navy beat Virginia. Why does Utah State beat Oklahoma. Why does Oregon State (who was picked higher than us preseason) have losses to Princeton, Samford, and Tulsa. Why does Mizzou have a loss to University of Missouri Kansas City. Nebraska to Western Illinois I can go on and on and on. Upsets are a part of college basketball every single day. We lost arguably our best player in program history and you want us to blow out every non-power 5 team? That's a joke of an expectation.

Well maybe that's why Brown was able to make a game of it - they are from an island too (Rhode Island), sort of. Island advantage. But the humidity in the tropics is a real factor to players from Colorado. Like the Buffs have the "welcome to 5400 feet above sea level" signs up in Boulder, maybe the UVI has "welcome to 99% humidity" signs in the locker rooms to intimidate teams like CU. Who knows, but somehow we did impose our will for one half of one game this season (UNC Bears), so they get in the mindset and I think they do know how.
Maine is the better example of imposing will.

These opponents are on a different level than Maine.

Seems like Brown played a style to make a game of it, never get beat in transition, run 20+ seconds of shot clock per possession, and limit turnovers.

Yes and Parquet and Battey are exactly who we thought they were. Battey is averaging 13 a game and is our emotional leader and Parquet is a defensive menance that is limited offensively but a great. They are playing to our expectations.

And if that's on UNC then why do mid majors ever beat high majors. Why does Navy beat Virginia. Why does Utah State beat Oklahoma. Why does Oregon State (who was picked higher than us preseason) have losses to Princeton, Samford, and Tulsa. Why does Mizzou have a loss to University of Missouri Kansas City. ****braska to Western Illinois I can go on and on and on. Upsets are a part of college basketball every single day. We lost arguably our best player in program history and you want us to blow out every non-power 5 team? That's a joke of an expectation.
No, I never said blow out every non-power 5 team. But middle of the pack Ivy League? Yes, should be a blowout every time by any Pac program, even Cal.

Maine is the better example of imposing will.

These opponents are on a different level than Maine.

Seems like Brown played a style to make a game of it, never get beat in transition, run 20+ seconds of shot clock per possession, and limit turnovers.
Yes, I stand corrected - meant the Maine game, not UNC. Not sure why I was thinking UNC there.

No, I never said blow out every non-power 5 team. But middle of the pack Ivy League? Yes, should be a blowout every time by any Pac program, even Cal.
That's an absurd expectation. So Dartmouth beating Georgetown, Princeton beating South Carolina and Oregon State already this year. How do you explain that?

I was buying into the preseason hype around da Silva, and it’s still early, but at this stage I don’t see how the season doesn’t end with Nique or KJ starting — Jabari at the 3 isn’t working like I expected it to — go small with him at the 4 and now we have two perimeter creators and two offensively skilled big men to start games off in a quicker fashion

That's an absurd expectation. So Dartmouth beating Georgetown, Princeton beating South Carolina and Oregon State already this year. How do you explain that?
Princeton is historically a solid Ivy program, so never said that a good Ivy team should always be blown out. So you're wrong there in saying I said that. Dartmouth is traditionally bad, so G-Town with the incredible Pat Ewing as coach should absolutely blow them out. Of course that program is in freefall since since getting trounced in the NCAA's last season by one of the Pac 12 teams, forget which one.

Back