What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tourney thread- Men's b'ball at 2021 Paradise Jam (St. Thomas, V.I.; 3rd/ final game vs. Brown, Monday, 11/22, 1:15 PM MT, ESPN3)

Definitely, I'm thinking more to close out games though, doubt we'll see Lawson in the final minutes except for foul outs from Jabari or Evan though.

Im thinking conference play. Honestly, no one outside of those 8 should see minutes unless we have issues.

LOB is transforming his game from a somewhat soft 6'7" perimeter player who could hit 3's in HS to more of a hard-nosed PF type. If he regains shooting from distance he can be valuable.

I posted this regarding O'Brien during the Montana State and got a bunch of crap from Allbuffs' experts:

"I guessed they would have a small lead at half and we would win by a few. Hope so. Go Buffs! O'Brien's shot has been off, but he's a tough guy, and we need that."

When was the last time FB and BB won on the same day? And in such bizarre fashion? A good day, I think!
In such bizarre fashion? Probably never; otherwise, I believe it's November 16th, 2013.

MBB beats Jackson State 94-70
7 guys in double figures for the Buffs:
Spencer Dinwiddie, Askia Booker, Josh Scott, Wesley Gordon, Xavier Talton, Jaron Hopkins, and Dustin Thomas
Dinwiddie also had 6 assists and 6 steals.

FB beats Cal 41-24
Freshmen Sefo Liufau and Jared Goff are the QBs in that game.

I was thinking we are 2 last second 3 pt shots away from being a 2-3 team, against fairly good but mid major teams. Good to see the no quit attitude but need some significant improvement in several areas. These tournaments don't give Tad much opportunity to fine tune and teach between games.

2 concerns going forward:

How to get the refs to stop calling ticky-tacky fouls on Evan. He's got a little reputation, and his natural exhuberance (fist-pumps) doesn't help. If Tad sent in a video of all the bad calls on EB, it might just piss them off.

Jabari isn't playing as well as last year. Pressure from all the NBA talk? I'm not the best BB observer, but he looked out of position a few times yesterday - directly under the hoop, rather than a little to one side.

I think we have plenty of talent, but Tad's got a lot of work to do.

2 concerns going forward:

How to get the refs to stop calling ticky-tacky fouls on Evan. He's got a little reputation, and his natural exhuberance (fist-pumps) doesn't help. If Tad sent in a video of all the bad calls on EB, it might just piss them off.

Jabari isn't playing as well as last year. Pressure from all the NBA talk? I'm not the best BB observer, but he looked out of position a few times yesterday - directly under the hoop, rather than a little to one side.

I think we have plenty of talent, but Tad's got a lot of work to do.

Jabari had 13 and 13 yesterday. Just sayin'.

4 of 15 shooting (26%). Do you think he's playing as well as last year? I'd say he's 10 - 15% or so off.

Tad on MD v GM:

Boyle had folks near and dear to him on both sides. On the Maryland bench was head coach Mark Turgeon, who Boyle worked for as an assistant for years at Jacksonville and Wichita State, and assistant coach Danny Manning, the all-time Kansas great and a former Jayhawks teammate of Boyle’s.

Leading George Mason was first-year head coach Kim English, a former CU assistant under Boyle, and his assistant coach Nate Tomlinson, the former CU guard and recent Buffs staff member. And, of course, there was former Buffs wing D’Shawn Schwartz, now with George Mason, who lit up the Terrapins.

“I felt really happy for the guys who win and really awfully for the guys who lose,” Boyle said. “I care about both those (Maryland) guys a log. They’re both very important people in my life. I was happy for coach English and coach Tomlinson, and I felt awful for coach Turgeon.”

It was a career night for Schwartz, who finished his CU career ranked in a tie for 34th all-time in scoring (1,026) before opting to use his extra season of eligibility at George Mason. Schwartz torched Maryland for six 3-pointers and 24 points, both of which were career-highs. Schwartz hit five 3-pointers three times with the Buffs — twice against Dayton, at home in the 2019 NIT and again in Chicago in a classic overtime win on Dec. 21, 2019, and also against Georgetown in the first round of the NCAA Tournament last March.

Schwartz’s scoring high with the Buffs was 22 against Washington on Jan. 12, 2019.

“D’Shawn was great. He played great,” Boyle said. “We could’ve used D’Shawn (against Southern Illinois), that’s for sure.”

I was thinking we are 2 last second 3 pt shots away from being a 2-3 team, against fairly good but mid major teams. Good to see the no quit attitude but need some significant improvement in several areas. These tournaments don't give Tad much opportunity to fine tune and teach between games.
Definitely living on the edge, there was also that 40+ foot three canned by the guy from Montana State late in that game. It's easy to erase a shot here or there in any game that ends regulation within 3 points. I figure you expect to win 50% of those games, so it's more like a 3-2 team than a 4-1 team.

Good point. Too much focus on what happened at end of game and coaches will always say they didnt win or lose a game on a made or missed late game shot. I was struck by in both cases the drives to the basket and excellent kick out passes for the desperately needed 3 to tie. Perfect execution even though both were not the planned option.

He got it together, so massive props to him. But there are times he appears to be coasting. I’m not super concerned yet but I’m getting nervous. He’s pushing too hard on the stuff that he needs to show for the nba and not doing the things he did last year that made him great.

In his defense though, he’s having to do all this while now being the #1 focus of opponents.

He got it together, so massive props to him. But there are times he appears to be coasting. I’m not super concerned yet but I’m getting nervous. He’s pushing too hard on the stuff that he needs to show for the nba and not doing the things he did last year that made him great.

In his defense though, he’s having to do all this while now being the #1 focus of opponents.
There's no doubt he's a great player, but his focus does seem off.

There's no doubt he's a great player, but his focus does seem off.

The more I think about it, the more I think I'm wrong about him "coasting". Because I don't feel like he's not giving effort - he really is. I do think it's more of forcing things. So I want to correct myself on this because it's not fair to him.

The more I think about it, the more I think I'm wrong about him "coasting". Because I don't feel like he's not giving effort - he really is. I do think it's more of forcing things. So I want to correct myself on this because it's not fair to him.
He's really thinking out there about what he should be doing to show out v just doing the smart play. Hopefully, like Dre, he settles down after the early part of the season and focusing on doing what he does best.

He's really thinking out there about what he should be doing to show out v just doing the smart play. Hopefully, like Dre, he settles down after the early part of the season and focusing on doing what he does best.

Interesting that you bring up Dre. I was thinking more of Bey but either one fits.

Back