What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Umass Depth Chart - some changes

Both Irwins looked pretty decent to me. I was surprised we went to the TE at all.

The offense *should* have been much better. They were moving the ball all over the place. One FG after failing to score with first and goal from the three, and another missed FG. That's 11 points we left on the field in the first half. Capitalize on those opportunities and the game is much different.

I also cannot grasp that he can't get the mental side of the game when frosh can do it, OL or not.

I figure the staff didn't think they really needed to rush Callahan in there early with returning experience. OL can be a bit more complicated than most positions with the protection calls, and if he isn't quite up to speed yet, you'd rather avoid the liability of getting your QB planted because somebody missed a call.

If they don't move him in there soon though, then I will also wonder what's going on.

With Nembot I'm starting to think the coaches are just too infatuated with his potential.

Good comment Nik. Definitely a "survive today, build for the future" strategy. That said, saving all those RS's is really going to tire guys out, especially on D. We saw how that worked out...

We'll have Reed returning to the fold at DE soon. We should have a 6-man rotation at DE with McCartney, Shaver, Gilbert, Coleman, Wilson and Reed. That's enough bodies to allow a redshirt from Mathewes.

At DT, I'm a bit more nervous. Can a 4-man rotation of Tupou, Parker, Solis and Norgard hold up well enough to not have to play Lopez or Franke this year? Wilson can give some snaps on the inside, but I think we'll end up playing one of those frosh. Probably Lopez since he isn't under-sized.

I was wondering about all the reports that Callahan was playing OG in camp. It made me think the OL was solid at OT. It was just one game but Irwin did look good. But Nembot perplexes me. He looks the part, but well, we have all seen the games.

This has nothing to do with Callahan. This is coaches making decisions in April and not changing. We could have brought in an NFL ready OT and the dude would be sitting on the bench because he hasn't got the terminology.

Callahan never had a chance to compete for the tackle position. They put him at 3rd string RT on his first day and then moved him to RG even when he was dominate at tackle. The coach put no competition at RT, he is not moving Nembot.

So - if they are NOT ready to play, redshirt them.

If they are ready to play -- PLAY THEM.

I certainly hope we aren't redshirting players just to save eligibility for later years.

It's more a matter of avoiding burning a year for minimal gain. Shaver and Fields are rightfully playing this year. There are some others who will play. But when you're recruiting "developmental" players, you have to allow them time to develop by redshirting.

As an example, wouldn't it be nice to have CUD back as a 5th year senior this year versus getting 10 tackles out of him as a freshman during Hawk's final season?

How much better shape would Embree have been in if guys like Kasa and Hansen would have been here in 2012?

Not only have we burnt a ton of shirts for minimal gain, it also has contributed to attrition. Guys are much more likely to transfer if they have that redshirt year still available to them. Especially when they saw action as a freshman and then are frustrated by not seeing an expanded role as a sophomore.

Last, this is not an overnight rebuild. I want to see as many redshirts, missions, and gray shirts as I possibly can. We may not be the most talented team in the Pac-12 in the next couple years, but I'll like our chances a lot more if we're playing 21-23 year olds against USC's teenagers.

Who is redshirting that shouldn't be? I have to imagine a couple redshirts are burned on Saturday

Some guys that I was thinking of (not sure on snaps from last Friday):

1. Evan White. Caused a lot of turnovers during camp and looks physically ready. Pretty sure he's a gunner on STs already.

2. Donovan Lee. Deuce had a bad game on Friday and we need playmaking from the slot.

3. Eddy Lopez. As we get into our depth at DT, we've got a "Where's the beef?" issue.

4. Dylan Keeney. Not on traveling squad this week, but also not on the injury report. Irwin played well at TE, but this offense may need to add a guy there who can give a different look and threaten the deep seam. Not a starter, but an important role.

Deuce is great with the ball on his hands, but is such a small target and doesn't really have great hands. It's a bad mix. I love him once he's caught it, but man, it would be nice to give Sefo more to work with.

Some guys that I was thinking of (not sure on snaps from last Friday):

1. Evan White. Caused a lot of turnovers during camp and looks physically ready. Pretty sure he's a gunner on STs already.

2. Donovan Lee. Deuce had a bad game on Friday and we need playmaking from the slot.

3. Eddy Lopez. As we get into our depth at DT, we've got a "Where's the beef?" issue.

4. Dylan Keeney. Not on traveling squad this week, but also not on the injury report. Irwin played well at TE, but this offense may need to add a guy there who can give a different look and threaten the deep seam. Not a starter, but an important role.

I was just thinking about this as well. If (as many claim) the defense is designed for the DTs to hold the point of attack and occupy blockers so that the LBs can run free, putting 250-270 lb. guys in there is asking for trouble. I think Lopez is the true litmus test of the staff's commitment to building for the future.

As to Callahan, I'd take an physically average OL who knows 100% of the assignments for the whole playbook over a worldbeater who knows 80% of the assignments. We'll see Callahan sooner rather than later.

One final thing to consider: Nembot may be another "Practice All-Star" that looks sub-standard during games. I have got to think (hope) he's on a pretty short leash after the 4th quarter last week.

I was just thinking about this as well. If (as many claim) the defense is designed for the DTs to hold the point of attack and occupy blockers so that the LBs can run free, putting 250-270 lb. guys in there is asking for trouble. I think Lopez is the true litmus test of the staff's commitment to building for the future.

As to Callahan, I'd take an physically average OL who knows 100% of the assignments for the whole playbook over a worldbeater who knows 80% of the assignments. We'll see Callahan sooner rather than later.

One final thing to consider: Nembot may be another "Practice All-Star" that looks sub-standard during games. I have got to think (hope) he's on a pretty short leash after the 4th quarter last week.

It is time to stop the NEMBOT experiment. We need Callahan in at RT now. Why is MacIntyre letting this go on. Take Charge, Tired of coaches that can't coach.
Bernardi can start up a Linemen School somewhere else.

I figure the staff didn't think they really needed to rush Callahan in there early with returning experience. OL can be a bit more complicated than most positions with the protection calls, and if he isn't quite up to speed yet, you'd rather avoid the liability of getting your QB planted because somebody missed a call.

If they don't move him in there soon though, then I will also wonder what's going on.

With Nembot I'm starting to think the coaches are just too infatuated with his potential.

With Nembot I think he does good in practice with no pressure. Then folds during real games. Time to start Callahan.

Why does anyone redshirt?

Because the talent you put on the field should be able to win while those you are red shifting get to develop. If you're not winning...it don't matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Either they need to try someone else at RT or have a TE or RB help chip the speedy DE, he's still struggling with the end speed rush just like last season...

Yeah...no he's not
hodor.jpg

This has nothing to do with Callahan. This is coaches making decisions in April and not changing. We could have brought in an NFL ready OT and the dude would be sitting on the bench because he hasn't got the terminology.

Callahan never had a chance to compete for the tackle position. They put him at 3rd string RT on his first day and then moved him to RG even when he was dominate at tackle. The coach put no competition at RT, he is not moving Nembot.

Coaches may not move Nembot, but the opposition sure is. This week he simply must show improvement. The runway has been plenty long for him. Rooting for that to happen.

I think it's safe to say that moving Nembot to OL was a huge mistake. He was originally recruited as a DE, IIRC. Also, IIRC, he was moved to OL because we were unbelievably thin at that position at the time. It would be nice if we could figure out a way to move him back.

Nembot is so well loved by our coaches, by other coaches and DEs around the conference. You can't teach the ability to tickle hearts like that.

I just saw the game report on Rivals. Only 3 of our true freshmen played: Fields & Shaver starter, White on special teams. Every other redshirt is in place so far.

General policy with MacIntyre seems to be that if you don't play in the first 4, you'll be redshirting unless there's an injury or something.

I think it's safe to say that moving Nembot to OL was a huge mistake. He was originally recruited as a DE, IIRC. Also, IIRC, he was moved to OL because we were unbelievably thin at that position at the time. It would be nice if we could figure out a way to move him back.
Nembot asked to be switched to OT

My $ .02 on the RT: He has the ability to handle the position, it just seems like he's not prepared for some plays. What I mean is, he can handle the speed rush, he just doesn't make the right move at the snap of the ball--consequently the rusher is nearly past him before he gets his hands on him. It's weird.

My $ .02 on the RT: He has the ability to handle the position, it just seems like he's not prepared for some plays. What I mean is, he can handle the speed rush, he just doesn't make the right move at the snap of the ball--consequently the rusher is nearly past him before he gets his hands on him. It's weird.

He doesn't look natural out there. That's the story with Nembot. When he gets his hands on a guy, it's over. I've still got a little patience for the lightbulb to go on. He needs to step it up this week to get his confidence back and then show us something against ASU's defensive speed.

What I see is a guy who has the physical tools and has the desire. By all reports he is a hard worker and takes coaching well.

The problem I see is a guy who simply doesn't have and isn't getting the instincts. Things happen so fast on the OL that you don't have time to think then react, do that and the play is over. You have to respond instinctively first then you move on from there mentally. To often I see Nembot making either the wrong move or making the right move but one step slow meaning that he is already beaten. At that point all his physical talent doesn't matter.

The idea of preparing him is usually equated to getting him prepared to think about what is happening. At this point I think that idea is past.

Back