What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We take you now to Chapel Hill, NC ... AGAIN

Disagree- Western Kentucky is going to get hammered because of what UK did.

I was thinking the same thing. I love the old Jerry Tarkanian quote, as it does tend to follow suite. The next lower tier team to provide extensive academic benefits to keep players eligible is royally screwed.

It will be interesting to see what comes from this hearing. As I feel these actions were depriving the kids of the education that they were promised which demands severe punishment, I am ready to hear about vacated wins, and allowing prior post season bans to be enough.

I was thinking the same thing. I love the old Jerry Tarkanian quote, as it does tend to follow suite. The next lower tier team to provide extensive academic benefits to keep players eligible is royally screwed.

It will be interesting to see what comes from this hearing. As I feel these actions were depriving the kids of the education that they were promised which demands severe punishment, I am ready to hear about vacated wins, and allowing prior post season bans to be enough.
I don't know how there can be grade fixing to gain competitive advantage but for that to not be deemed by the NCAA as a monumental violation of its entire reason for existence.

So they can go issue their slap on the hand and return to hammering away on programs that aren't on TV all the time.

Will be interesting to see what penalties they impose but would be shocked if they are close to the severity of the infractions. Or if they are we wait for a year and then watch the NCAA reduce or drop them.

My guess on tomorrows bullet announcement:

10/5/2017 4:30 PM - NCAA announces they have reviewed UNC's issue, and feel the punishments they enacted are insufficient. They will lose 6 scholarships (but be able to go back 3 years and include unused scholarships), wipe 100 wins off their record book, and have 3 more years of probation, where they cannot commit the same infraction during that time 'or else'. No further TV or post season ban beyond what they self imposed, because that was sufficient.

10/5/2017 4:35 PM - NCAA announces heavy sanctions against Cleveland State for head coach being seated on the same aircraft as high profile college recruit. Although they sat 15 rows apart, and neither spoke to the other (or even knew the other was on the plane), we feel this could lead to coaches setting plane trips around recruits trips. Therefore Cleveland State will have a 5 year post season ban, 3 year TV ban, lose 20 scholarships over the next 7 years, and can only feed players Cheerios at the training table for 2 years. The player is also ineligible (sorry Louisville).

NCAA then goes out drinking and toast themselves for a job well done.

worse than that

The NCAA’s final investigative report in the long-running UNC-Chapel Hill case will not be released on Friday, as was originally intended, the university announced on Thursday.

Parties associated with the investigation received notice on Thursday morning that the NCAA Committee on Infractions planned to release its final report, which will include penalties, on Friday at noon, according to a source with knowledge of the case.

UNC on Friday is set to announce a multibillion-dollar fundraising campaign, and campus events are scheduled throughout the weekend.

well now, we'd hate to let some bad news from the NCAA mess up the Tarheel's fundraiser.

What will be very interesting will be if UNC has to vacate a national title and pay NCAA tourney money back. It's a real possibility.

Ha..... just wait until the NCAA announces the death penalty for the VCU basketball program for letting walk-ons eat at the training table 30 minutes from now.

Seriously, the amount of mental gymnastics it took for the NCAA to justify these light sanctions deserve perfect 10s from all the judges.

I always thought it was weird they were going after the AD for an academic program that was messed up. Student athletes always go after garbage classes like the rest of the students looking for easy electives. Same thing happens at CU it's just certain classes/teachers and not an entire college. When I used to walk into class on the first day and see a bunch of football/basketball players I knew it was going to be an easy semester.

I always thought it was weird they were going after the AD for an academic program that was messed up. Student athletes always go after garbage classes like the rest of the students looking for easy electives. Same thing happens at CU it's just certain classes/teachers and not an entire college. When I used to walk into class on the first day and see a bunch of football/basketball players I knew it was going to be an easy semester.
That is not what happened here. There is a difference between easy classes and fake classes. You did not have to attend these classes, they had one paper due all semester, which was written by advisors.
NCAA still punishes teams for low APR;s, so what they have basically said, is it is better to make up fake classes, then to struggle in real ones.
The reason UNC did not get in trouble, is that these fake classes were available to all students (after all the athletes got their spots). Seriously, that's it.

That is not what happened here. There is a difference between easy classes and fake classes. You did not have to attend these classes, they had one paper due all semester, which was written by advisors.
NCAA still punishes teams for low APR;s, so what they have basically said, is it is better to make up fake classes, then to struggle in real ones.
The reason UNC did not get in trouble, is that these fake classes were available to all students (after all the athletes got their spots). Seriously, that's it.
Yeah but it's not like the AD made up these classes so they could get their players through. The players and academic advisors, just like every other student at the school, knew about these classes and took advantage of them. I don't have a problem with them having some sort of punishment but I never thought it was going to be anything big like some thought.

The tutors/advisors doing work for them is where the real issue is.

Yeah but it's not like the AD made up these classes so they could get their players through. The players and academic advisors, just like every other student at the school, knew about these classes and took advantage of them. I don't have a problem with them having some sort of punishment but I never thought it was going to be anything big like some thought.

The tutors/advisors doing work for them is where the real issue is.

I completely disagree with the bolded. These classes were for athletes. UNC was smart and opened them up for other students to sidestep the NCAA, but they were there for the athlete. What benefit does UNC get from allowing regular students to take fake classes?

I completely disagree with the bolded. These classes were for athletes. UNC was smart and opened them up for other students to sidestep the NCAA, but they were there for the athlete. What benefit does UNC get from allowing regular students to take fake classes?
$$$, lots and lots of $$$.

further, some of those classes were found to be open for enrollment for only a few hours, and it turned out that the athletes were the only one's aware of when those few hours would be.

ok, so the takeaway from this is that if a school is going to help athletes cheat, they need to document that they also helped at least one member of the general student body cheat as well.

FFS

Back