What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We take you now to Chapel Hill, NC ... AGAIN

Well, next time anyone interviews a NC grad, best to assume he or she is poorly educated and not qualified for the position.
I liked this post when I first saw it, but then gave it more consideration. If I ever interview a Chapel Hill grad again, I will absolutely request their full transcripts so I can exactly what courses they took.

so the head of the panel that reviewed the UNC matter is Greg Sankey, commish of the SEC.

theory #1: the NCAA is ineffective and would have reached similar conclusions regardless of who was in charge
theory #2: this is nothing for SEC schools and Sankey honestly didn't see anything wrong
theory #3: backroom deal took place and we'll see UNC bolt to the SEC within 2 years

my subjective probability for each theory being correct is 50%/20%/30% respectively.

further, some of those classes were found to be open for enrollment for only a few hours, and it turned out that the athletes were the only one's aware of when those few hours would be.
This is the part to me that's incongruous with the NCAA's official statement- how is this not a special benefit?

So you're better off if the whole university cheats instead of just the athletic department. Got it.

What a crock of ****ing ****.

Meanwhile in Raleigh...

This makes perfect sense to the NCAA.

Penalize athletes for going to class and letting a whole school get away with giving fake credits.

May not matter a lot in the big picture. If this FBI investigation continues hard to imagine that UNC isn't involved. DOJ doesn't care what kind of ratings a team generates for the networks.

The NCAA might as well not even bother investigating these things. Such a ****ing joke to ever claim they care about "student" athletes with what the let schools get away with. I guess they can't claim their favorite lack of institutional control here, because this was a well thought out plan by UNC and they bet it would be worth it. And it was. What's to stop every school that doesn't care about academics (which the list is growing every day) from great "auto A" classes that anyone can enroll in, but they fill it with athletes and sprinkle in a free frat bros?

UNC has now actually managed to surpass the ****ing Irish on my list of college sports hatred. I've always despised their basketball program, going back to Gene Smith's four corners "offense", **** turds like Eric Montross, etc., but never had any active animosity for their other sports programs. Those days are over ... the only school higher on my hatred list is **** bailer. And now **** UNC.

And **** the NCAA. I was peripherally involved as an attorney in the Jeremy Bloom eligibility question (whether he could accept endorsement money for his non-football related sports activity, i.e., free form skiing, and still play CFB for CU) ... and the NCAA's anal and unreasonable approach to the question and unwillingness to find some kind of compromise was outrageous, to say the least. They have effectively squandered what little credibility and moral authority they had left.

Last edited:
Well, next time anyone interviews a NC grad, best to assume he or she is poorly educated and not qualified for the position.

So ... a perfect candidate for a position in the Trump administration then?

From this article:

The NCAA investigation centered on a system in which a significant percentage of student-athletes took classes that had academic irregularities -- and whether that resulted in those athletes receiving an impermissible benefit. The classes were taken by more than 3,100 students -- nearly half of them athletes -- from 1993 to 2011. However, the investigation was focused from 2002 to 2011.

The independent study-style courses came in the Department of African and Afro-American Studies and often required no attendance, as well as grade changes, forged faculty signatures and just one paper at the conclusion of the semester. The athletes were reportedly guided into the classes to help them remain academically eligible.

North Carolina has maintained that the NCAA has no jurisdiction over this academic matter and has denied that student-athletes received impermissible benefits due to the fact that the classes in question were offered to the entire student body.

Perhaps the Association of American Universities (AAU) could sanction and/or de-certify the University of No Character on the grounds of academic fraud? They certainly de-certified the great great kNU on far less egregious shortcomings (although well justified of course).

There's a certain so-called "university" that's missing from this webpage image ... and one that certainly should be very soon (can you guess what they are?). I truly intend to research any procedures for removing UNC from this graphic/list. Not sure what the "standing" issues my be for this kind of action, but I should certainly think that this kind of thing** would disqualify any university from membership in what is an organization that is internationally recognized as exemplary for academic excellence.

The independent study-style courses came in the Department of African and Afro-American Studies and often required no attendance, as well as grade changes, forged faculty signatures and just one paper at the conclusion of the semester. The athletes were reportedly guided into the classes to help them remain academically eligible.

North Carolina has maintained that the NCAA has no jurisdiction over this academic matter and has denied that student-athletes received impermissible benefits due to the fact that the classes in question were offered to the entire student body.

If it were a MAC team or Big Sky they would be looking at huge sanctions.

Instead the NCAA gets a phone call from CBS Sports programing department saying "Remember that X number of our top 20 rated college basketball broadcast including UNC before you decide on a response" and we sure wouldn't want to hurt ratings this year.

UNC then throws some mid-level administrator under the bus, gets docked one scholarship for two seasons (later reduced to one season) and promises to be good in the future. Case closed.

Your post above from almost three years ago was astoundingly prescient. And they didn't even get those minor sanctions as far as I can tell.

This is a complete joke. Things like this are the reason I am becoming less and less a college football fan. Blatant cheating, no problem. Starting football games that end at 3 am, utter stupidity. Tv controlling everything with obnoxious announcers, never ending. It's getting real old quickly. If they are going to just let colleges cheat with no repurcussions why even have an NCAA? I'll laugh at any NC grad I ever meet now. Not quite in the Ped State realm but getting closer every year. The school must be run by the same people who govern the state.

education clearly is not what many of these athletes go to college for. the argument they should be paid just got a huge boost and it won't be that long before they start suing in federal court for additional 'freedoms.' expect free agency in another 5 years. this was a maybe fatal blow to college sports as we used to know them.

DMBfXUFXcAIenRw.jpg

ok, so the takeaway from this is that if a school is going to help athletes cheat, they need to document that they also helped at least one member of the general student body cheat as well.

FFS

I find the use of the word "benefitted" infuriating. As if school is a giant inconvenience and students and student-athletes are some how better off with fake classes.

The NCAA believes we all benefit when we don't learn at college.

I find the use of the word "benefitted" infuriating. As if school is a giant inconvenience and students and student-athletes are some how better off with fake classes.

The NCAA believes we all benefit when we don't learn at college.
great observation

I don't understand how they can hide behind the fact that this was a fake class just because everyone had the option to take it. There's a reason employees look at resumes to see where a kid graduated from. Universities come with certain academic reputation. This says you can just get any degree from any school as long as you pay enough money to them? Is that really the standard we want to set? Maybe that was already the case anyway.

Wow! Another chunk taken out of my love of college sport. Not sure I have much affection left.

Yep but it still needs a governing body imho. Otherwise it's the Wild West. It can't be the NCAA though.

Back