What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What do you do about HC if you're RG?

If you were RG, what would you do with the HC situation?

• Nothing. MacIntyre is back in 2016.

• Put feelers out. If you can land a name coach, you do. Otherwise, Mac is back in 2016.

• Fire MacIntyre. Time for a change because this isn't working.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I presume Miller = MM?

This is an interesting statement you make, and my question is serious. What makes you say that Barnett was respected in football circles, where as MM is not?

Is it because Barnett was respected in football circles after turning the NW program around prior to coming here as a HC? Or did he garner more respect than MM in football circles prior to achieving what he did at NW?

Well, for starters, Barnett was a coordinator on a national championship winning team. And he was coming off of a major bowl when he got here. Then when he got here he was competing for conference championships, so there was just some inherent respect that he garnered than none of the coaches who have come after him have garnered.

It's a little like that "it" factor that you always hear people talk about. Not trying to build up GB too much here - he had many flaws - but the program has felt like a red-headed step child afterthought on the national stage with the last 3 guys.

Right. I would say that GB's resume at the time that he went to NW was equivalent to MM resume at the time he came here. GB was an OC on a NC team, MM turned SJSU around and pulled them out of the gutter. GB didn't do anything to gain major nation respect in football circles until he won at NW, because everyone thought it was impossible. They were the worst D1 program in the country, and he finally got them to turn the corner in the 4th year (after the first 3 years being filled with equal suckyness). After that, he was revered as a miracle worker, and from what I understand, became a much bigger hard ass as a coach (meaning he was more of a "players coach" leading up to, and until they turned it around at NW). The hard ass GB continued when he came here, and the team ended up going a paltry 3-8 in 2000, including a second consecutive loss to CSU.

It just so happens that MM is headed into his 4th year, and I heard Barnett being interviewed in The FAN the 2 or 3 nights ago when they asked him what he thought about MM, and if he thought the MM had done enough at CU. Barnett's response was essentially, absolutely. He went on to say that all turn around jobs are relative, and the hole that MM stepped into at CU was about as deep as you can possibly find in college football. He said given the situation, you can't really fully judge MM until he has been here for another TWO years, and from what he'd seen so far, he deserves that.

Coming from a guy that knows what a turn around looks like, and what CU is and has been, that's pretty staunch support from football circles IYAM.....and I don't even think that MM deserves another year after next year if he doesn't start winning.

Right. I would say that GB's resume at the time that he went to NW was equivalent to MM resume at the time he came here. GB was an OC on a NC team, MM turned SJSU around and pulled them out of the gutter. GB didn't do anything to gain major nation respect in football circles until he won at NW, because everyone thought it was impossible. They were the worst D1 program in the country, and he finally got them to turn the corner in the 4th year (after the first 3 years being filled with equal suckyness). After that, he was revered as a miracle worker, and from what I understand, became a much bigger hard ass as a coach (meaning he was more of a "players coach" leading up to, and until they turned it around at NW). The hard ass GB continued when he came here, and the team ended up going a paltry 3-8 in 2000, including a second consecutive loss to CSU.

It just so happens that MM is headed into his 4th year, and I heard Barnett being interviewed in The FAN the 2 or 3 nights ago when they asked him what he thought about MM, and if he thought the MM had done enough at CU. Barnett's response was essentially, absolutely. He went on to say that all turn around jobs are relative, and the hole that MM stepped into at CU was about as deep as you can possibly find in college football. He said given the situation, you can't really fully judge MM until he has been here for another TWO years, and from what he'd seen so far, he deserves that.

Coming from a guy that knows what a turn around looks like, and what CU is and has been, that's pretty staunch support from football circles IYAM.....and I don't even think that MM deserves another year after next year if he doesn't start winning.
I think its fair to point out that gary barnett is a university of colorado employee again, and even if he were inclined to publicly call for MM to be fired, he definitely wouldnt do that now.

True, but he also is not committed to giving staunch support either. GB can be a brutally honest guy, and I don't think he would have said what he said unless he meant it.

Last edited:
I believe that MacIntyre came here with a plan.

He wanted to stabilize the roster while getting buy-in on a culture. To get the loyalty, he gave loyalty. So he didn't kick guys out the door. So he honored recruiting commitments. So he gave guys 2nd and 3rd chances for being screw-ups. So he had a long leash on giving guys time to buy in and showing the commitment to football that was necessary.

He wanted to recruit in a certain way. That meant scouring the camps and meeting with as many high school coaches as possible to develop relationships. He needed recruits to have the football character he wanted for the culture and he needed to find guys that our competitors missed. This is labor intensive and he was willing to sacrifice going after highly recruited players who were showing tepid interest in CU to devote resources elsewhere.

He wanted to set a coaching culture where guys put in ridiculous hours toward game planning, film study and recruiting. He is not an easy guy to work for. So he brought coaches who had done things the way he wanted and were able to fulfill his expectation based upon him already establishing that with them at SJSU.

Also, make sure that incremental improvements and changes were being made on training, nutrition, academic support, etc.

From there, it's all about incremental improvement every year. Better recruiting. Productive attrition. Filling gaps with JUCOs & transfers. Play the long game on the roster by redshirting, grayshirting and taking some guys on missions so that he'd eventually have a mature, older, veteran team take the field. Upgrade assistants as those on staff showed they weren't cutting it and bring in bigger resumes within the coaching culture he had established.

Now, I don't know if this plan will work. I do know that it was never a plan that was going to result in a 2- or 3-year turnaround. This was a long-term process approach. I once posted that I didn't think it would be until 2017 before we knew if it had failed because that's the season that will have all MacIntyre recruited players along with the redshirts, grayshirts and missions having grown up. I think he needs to get to .500 and a bowl game in 2016. I think he's got to take that higher the next year.

Let's not forget that Oregon and Stanford will not be on CU's schedule in 2017 and 2018.
CU will have to win at home next season in order to go bowling.

Stop ****ting on our university to promote your agenda to defend our current coach. You said a few posts above this one that "it's so damn hard to recruit to Colorado right now". Oregon State is the worst Power 5 team in the country by projections for next year and they are kicking ass in recruiting. They have no advantages that we don't have, except a better coach.

???

Seven pages of people saying the same stuff over and over again.

Bad thread. Wouldn't read again.

Hooray. Best wishes to Josh Whitman at Illini. I'm sure it's a dream job. Stay as long as you want.

Back