What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'10 CO ATH Danny Spond (Signed to Notre Dame)

I'm feeling like I may want to have Cornh8ter's baby. :lol:

Full story in the Denver Post

Colorado applied a three-on-one press Thursday in an effort to influence Columbine High School quarterback Danny Spond to recommit to the Big 12 school.

He said he drove to Boulder on his own Thursday to meet with CU coach Dan Hawkins, athletic director Mike Bohn and chancellor Phil DiStefano.

"It was a great meeting," Spond said. "I believe Coach Hawkins is a great man, a great coach. He wants the right type of guys and wants to be successful. He took over CU when it was a mess and it takes time to rebuild."

He said Hawkins didn't attempt to sway him from taking the trip to South Bend. Last week, Spond visited TCU.

He applauded Hawkins for not taking a negative recruiting approach. He won't hint where he's leaning, or if he even knows. As for holding out on an announcement until Wednesday, he said, "I try to keep everyone on their toes."

I applaud Spond on the stance he took here. His willingness to listen and consider what CU has to offer shows a great deal of maturity.

I won't hold it against him if decides to go in another direction, but I'm glad he took the time to give his local university a real listen.

Last edited:
I see hawk is still using the program was burnt to the ground excuse to excuse his awful record. Hope spond decides on cu.

This young man has done it right. Yeah, he committed, then changed his mind, but he has kept an open mind and listened. He's one of the few who really seems to be looking for the right fit, no matter where that is.

Good luck Danny, no matter where you end up playing next year.

Go Buffs!

Can't see him going anywhere but CU. Would he drive all the way to CU if no real interest. He turned down Stanford and is all CU

Walk- he lives 45 minutes away. He likes the university, the coach, and the players. So out of respect he talked to Dan. I would love him to go to CU, but I don't think he will go there.

Seems like a really good kid. No matter where he goes, I hope it goes well for him. In the future, when we have a real coach, these kids will not want to go anywhere but Boulder.

Hope you guys are right, but I think you are setting yourselves up for disappointment. The Notre Dame visit this weekend pretty much seals it for them IMO.

Even if he's leaning CU, Notre Dame is going to be an impressive visit.

Hell, I hate them and I'm sure I'd be impressed touring all that.

But something tells me that if Stanford and Harbaugh didn't feel right, it's likely that Notre Dame and Kelly won't either.

FYI: South Bend is projected for a high of about 20 this weekend with 5-10 mph winds making it feel quite a bit colder. Should be fairly nasty (and that's a pretty nice late Jan day for there).

Even if he's leaning CU, Notre Dame is going to be an impressive visit.

Hell, I hate them and I'm sure I'd be impressed touring all that.

But something tells me that if Stanford and Harbaugh didn't feel right, it's likely that Notre Dame and Kelly won't either.

FYI: South Bend is projected for a high of about 20 this weekend with 5-10 mph winds making it feel quite a bit colder. Should be fairly nasty (and that's a pretty nice late Jan day for there).

What about South Bend/Notre Dame sounds impressive to you? While I respect their history and contribution to college football, it would be easier to capture that emotion while watching an old Ronald Regan movie than actually visiting South Bend. South Bend remains one of the most depressing towns I've ever driven through. Add that experience to the two miserable school years (Purdue) during which I lived in that Gawdawful state of Indiana, I simply don't get the appeal.

Notre Dame hasn't been relevant in college football for a lot longer than CU, and they're starting from the ground floor. So, again, I respect the history, but miss the appeal.

What about South Bend/Notre Dame sounds impressive to you? While I respect their history and contribution to college football, it would be easier to capture that emotion while watching an old Ronald Regan movie than actually visiting South Bend. South Bend remains one of the most depressing towns I've ever driven through. Add that experience to the two miserable school years (Purdue) during which I lived in that Gawdawful state of Indiana, I simply don't get the appeal.

Notre Dame hasn't been relevant in college football for a lot longer than CU, and they're starting from the ground floor. So, again, I respect the history, but miss the appeal.

Hater. :smile2:

I'm definitely not talking about the town. But there's a certain something about touring the ND locker room, walking on their field, seeing their trophy case, et al that just "feels" different than the idea of getting to do the same thing anywhere else. Maybe it's my Irish Catholic upbringing, though.

Anyway, Danny seems to really have a good head on his shoulders and I don't see him as the type of guy who is going to make a rash or emotional decision. I expect he'll logically choose the option he feels is going to be the best fit for him.

I will say this and I hope he or someone close to him is reading it. We may rip on Dan Hawkins a lot on this board (3-9 will cause that), but I've never heard anyone say that he doesn't care about the kids in the program and doesn't emphasize going to class, staying out of trouble, giving back to the community... basically, growing into a good man. Everything I've heard about Brian Kelly is that while he's been successful and won a lot of games, most of his players can't stand him and think he couldn't care less about them.

It is a pretty good school, and don't recruits "get" to shake hands with one of those Corey guys? :lol:

I think that Spond has a really hard choice to make. This is a kid who wanted to be a Buff for a long time and I think still in his heart wants to be a Buff. The problem is that he is also smart enough to know that the likelyhood of a coaching change in the next year or two is very high meaning that there will be a lot of upheaval and system changes. You also have the question with a new coach of how he will respond to the players from the previous coach.

I think that he is a good enough athlete to adapt to whatever system CU ends up changing to after a coaching change and is clearly intelligent enough to make the mental transition. This said the not knowing still makes it hard to be sure about committing. I hope that he realizes that he is good enough to succeed regardless of what happens in the program and that the opportunity to be a in-state kid with a CU education has a lot of real benefits.

I will understand whatever decision he makes since he has to look out for himself first but I hope in the end it ends up CU.

Final weekend. Got to bust out the Official Buff Unicorn (TM) I've been saving:

Black_unicorn.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we've only got one unicorn remaining, and it's got Munchie's name on it.

There used to be more, of course, but Nueheisal took one when he left and now keeps it locked in his desk (he's got a big desk--in fact he stole that one too, Chuck Fairbanks originally purchased it). The NCAA took another one away because non-scholarship athletes were eating at Dal Ward and Darrell Scott's is otherwise occupied until his situation clears up; though I have it on good faith that it's in a vault at some bank in Boulder where his mom feeds it daily.

Would he come here as a QB and how does he project as a QB at the college level, especially compared to the other QBs we have like Evans, Hirschman and hopefully Munchie? I omitted Hansen here as I assume and hope he´s our starter for 2010.

Would he come here as a QB and how does he project as a QB at the college level, especially compared to the other QBs we have like Evans, Hirschman and hopefully Munchie? I omitted Hansen here as I assume and hope he´s our starter for 2010.

Not a QB. MLB all the way IMO.

Back