What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'10 CO ATH Danny Spond (Signed to Notre Dame)

Re: '10 CO ATH Danny Spond (Comitted to Colorado)

because if I don't start laughing about this year I may just start crying...

"this year"....that's a laughing matter :lol: how about we try "these years"...

Guys, you need to take this to a different forum or end it now.

Thanks.

I doubt Harbaugh will give Spond much of a chance at QB, whether or not he's willing to lie to him and promise it anyway is another story. I think Spond is worried, but he'll keep his commitment.

Re: '10 CO ATH Danny Spond

Danny has de-committed.

http://colorado.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1021538

"I want to announce that I have de-committed from the University of Colorado," Spond told Rivals.com. "I am open now for every school to come back and start recruiting me again."

What led to this decision?

"Before the season, I had such high hopes for CU. I think everybody did. Just with the season they had, it has kind of changed a lot of my thinking," Spond explained. "CU is definitely still a school I have high interest in. I am not eliminating them from consideration, if anything they are still leading for me."

He goes on to say that being recruited at QB isn't mandatory and he'd be willing to go somewhere as a TE or LB.

He's likely gone. The kid wants to win.

He also wanted a shot at Quarterback, and although he says he will consider other positions, we are going to have a stable of young buffs competing at that position for the next few years.

Best of luck, Danny. As he said, we are still his leader, but he wants to look around. He's just dating a little more before the ceremony to be sure. If it ends up he is a buff, I'd rather he came to CU sure of his decision.

One thing I do know with 100% certainty is that Dan Hawkins is a master at selling himself and his program. Thursday's announcement was all the proof of that I'll even need. And, for that reason, I will never count us out when he's the lead recruiter for us on a prospect.

This was a guy that drove up to CU on the first day he was able to "commit" and did so. He want(ed|s) to be a Buff and we may lose him. Ugh.

Another nail in Dannyboys coffin. Were gonna need a lot of them apparently cuase he keeps coming back from the dead. :lol:
here...
stake.jpg

I really want Spond to re-commit. He's got a great opportunity here. As he already knew, most likely not as a QB but I think that works to our advantage. CU is still an elite program when it comes to turning out Tight Ends and Linebackers (his other positions). And the emphasis that Hawkins and our AD put on scholastics and citizenship/community service from our student-athletes is an excellent fit for Danny. Plus, we finally have a veteran team next year (all our playmakers were sophomores in 2009). Hawkins is still the same coach that had the nation's highest career winning % at the time he left Boise State (with more experience now). There is good reason to believe that Spond will get everything he wants at CU while his family and friends get to see all his home games live.

Reactions: dio

Would absolutely love to have Spond come to CU, but I'd be surprised if he doesn't end up at Stanford now

I really want Spond to re-commit. He's got a great opportunity here. As he already knew, most likely not as a QB but I think that works to our advantage. CU is still an elite program when it comes to turning out Tight Ends and Linebackers (his other positions). And the emphasis that Hawkins and our AD put on scholastics and citizenship/community service from our student-athletes is an excellent fit for Danny. Plus, we finally have a veteran team next year (all our playmakers were sophomores in 2009). Hawkins is still the same coach that had the nation's highest career winning % at the time he left Boise State (with more experience now). There is good reason to believe that Spond will get everything he wants at CU while his family and friends get to see all his home games live.

And don't overlook the fact that Geer and Devenney were both QBs in high school. That conversion wouldn't exactly be new territory for CU... :thumbsup:

One thing I do know with 100% certainty is that Dan Hawkins is a master at selling himself and his program. Thursday's announcement was all the proof of that I'll even need. And, for that reason, I will never count us out when he's the lead recruiter for us on a prospect.
Are you kidding?

Are you kidding?

Not at all. Do you think Hawk's a bad salesman? He successfully lobbied for his job when everything was stacked against him and he's pulled in some in-state prospects like Miller and Kasa when everyone expected they were leaving for big time programs. Dude can sell.

Not at all. Do you think Hawk's a bad salesman? He successfully lobbied for his job when everything was stacked against him and he's pulled in some in-state prospects like Miller and Kasa when everyone expected they were leaving for big time programs. Dude can sell.
We will see if his magic continues....I don't know how he sells his record.....I guess if recruits buy his statement from last night that the program was burned to the ground when he arrived, then perhaps his luck will continue. My guess is that the gig is up.

Stanford has like 25 commits already. He probably doesnt think he will get a fair shot at QB at CU.

Kain coulter also commited to Stanford. Maybe that persuades him to stay at cu.

Didn't Kasa changing his mind have more to do with Urban Meyer trying to convince him to be an Offensive Lineman than any sales job Hawkins did?

We will see if his magic continues....I don't know how he sells his record.....I guess if recruits buy his statement from last night that the program was burned to the ground when he arrived, then perhaps his luck will continue. My guess is that the gig is up.

Sure, he has excuses to pile up in defending his record. However, his selling point are the other reasons to go to CU. Academics are strong; the team seems to get along with each other; amazing campus; chance to play on the big stage; strong student support (better some years, but overall, ok); nobody's entrenched in a starting role; great and diverse weather; Denver's a quick drive away; good tradition (not ND level, but still solid tradition); and everything else. I still don't understand how we lose recruits to certain schools - CU sells itself in my opinion. I'm still expecting Hawk to pull in a decent class this year, but next year, if the losses pile up and it seems like we're getting a new HC, I have no idea how he is going to recruit...

New Rivals Article

Spond plans to make official visits to Colorado, Arkansas, Stanford and TCU in January. The Wyoming report was false, he's not looking there. Greg Brown recently visited the Sponds at their home and the meeting sounded like it went well. As Danny said, "We had a real good conversation about their program. We talked about the fact that every program goes through its ups and downs. This past year has been more of a down year for them. They were hanging with teams but they are just a couple players away."

I think Mr. Spond ends up out West. Hope I am wrong.

Back