What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'12 TX WR Jeffrey Thomas (Signed to Colorado - GS)

Makes me feel even better about JT that he has people coming on here to support him.

Fressh, thanks for the Grimes highlights. Impressive athlete. Projecting as a slot WR in college?

On Grimes, his dad is really fighting the "athlete" label and hopes he can stick with QB. But there is so much competition at QB right now I'm not so sure. He's a strong runner as a QB and just needs a little more consistency with his long ball and he could project into a nice dual threat. But he got in ALOT of practice at this last 7 on 7. So he's finding his way in Duncanville. We are keeping the fingers crossed for State 7 on 7. Should put us in a good way going into the season.

Hopefully the Buff coaches will make a trip out to a game or 2 and maybe see a few other talents. Our receiver core is pretty strong and may have a lineman or 2. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the welcome guys... I'll definitely keep you up to date especially since I have been a BUFF fan since Kordell and Westbrook wore the Black and Gold!!! Too bad CU is leaving the Big 12, but the PAC 12 should be even more exciting!!!

Westbrook! FTW! Welcome guys, like that JT has good support already.

Good stuff, moett.

I like how you also included some useful links in the sidebar.

I'm going to talk to the mod/admin team if you don't mind and try to figure out the best way to promote your blog. We have a number of members and guests who would find the information very helpful.

If there's anything we can do to help with content for you blog, please let me know (post a message or send me a private message on here). Obviously, as a CU booster I can't do anything program specific, but I'm happy to help you track down info.

It's great to see the support that Jeffrey has. Just looking at the highlight tapes I think he is a tremendously talented young man and will be a contributor for the Buffs in years to come.

The impression I also get is that he is a kid with his head screwed on strait who will take care of all the things that happens on the days other than the 13 or so that the football team has a game. He will take care of his academic responsibilities, be a good citizen, and be a good teammate. The fact that he has a solid track record and that he has this kind of support behind him bodes well. The transition for HS to college always includes some challenges, having people who he can turn to and who he knows believe in his ability to succeed can go a long ways in him successfully overcoming those challenges.

The more I see about this kid the happier I am that he is going to be a Buff.

Good stuff, moett.

I like how you also included some useful links in the sidebar.

I'm going to talk to the mod/admin team if you don't mind and try to figure out the best way to promote your blog. We have a number of members and guests who would find the information very helpful.

If there's anything we can do to help with content for you blog, please let me know (post a message or send me a private message on here). Obviously, as a CU booster I can't do anything program specific, but I'm happy to help you track down info.

Thanks Buffnik! I will definitely hit you up privately. Going thru the recruiting process has been an eye opener in MORE ways than one. As much of an internet junkie as I am I found myself overwhelmed with the information I didn't know early on..........even as early as 8th grade for Jeff. Dealing with a dual sport kid and how some schools did not promote that if they saw talent and really want your kid to choose and how his development had to change to really compete in one or the other (played football and baskeball since 7). To identifying the different types of camps and what kind of exposure you want to bring your kid. Some I know I can't share until the son is in college..............but I'd like to help others out as much as possible. IT IS A NUTTY and brutal process at times...........and mine wasn't even a high blue chip prospect. I can only imagine, and have heard, some of the things that have gone on at that level. So thanks much and I look forward to chatting it up and getting advice about blogging! :slayer:

It's great to see the support that Jeffrey has. Just looking at the highlight tapes I think he is a tremendously talented young man and will be a contributor for the Buffs in years to come.

The impression I also get is that he is a kid with his head screwed on strait who will take care of all the things that happens on the days other than the 13 or so that the football team has a game. He will take care of his academic responsibilities, be a good citizen, and be a good teammate. The fact that he has a solid track record and that he has this kind of support behind him bodes well. The transition for HS to college always includes some challenges, having people who he can turn to and who he knows believe in his ability to succeed can go a long ways in him successfully overcoming those challenges.

Thanks MtnBuff! It has been a long road with Mr. Thomas and i'm so glad the kind of kid he is come out to others that have the chance to catch him at a glance. The push to keep him grounded and focused has been very important in our family. So many outside influences are out there that seem to keep knocking at the door...........just glad we keep a great relationship, a tight network of people that watch out for him, and stress the importance of being a good man first, good player second. His talent has always been there but use to be very shy and introverted until he gets to know someone. Having a support system when he gets to college is my biggest focus. That was one of the biggest things that attracted Colorado to the family. Is I know he will get that and won't get lost in the "shuffle".

Thanks MtnBuff! He's a good kid with a silly side. He works hard and really wants to succeed.

So far, Moett is in definitely easily gonna win the stoudt award for best recruit parent ever.

So far, Moett is in definitely easily gonna win the stoudt award for best recruit parent ever.

SnowBuff...........I already told the son he's getting a bill at 18. He just laughs at me! I'm just trying to find out where the parent pay is! LMBO!

SnowBuff...........I already told the son he's getting a bill at 18. He just laughs at me! I'm just trying to find out where the parent pay is! LMBO!

Judging from my parents' experience... You still got a ways to go before the bill turns around :lol:

sliderNcider.............you have NO IDEA! You are gonna be a proud fan watching his senior year. Time for the sleepers to awaken! LEGGO!

First of all, thank you so much for all your input and insight moett88.

I think what slider was trying to say was, is JT a Buff lock or is there a chance that he could explore other options should his senior season go as well as all hope?

Update

Saw JT eat up a bunch of corners last weekend at a National Underclassman Combine last week. Same old thang. Any corner that matched up with him got burnt! This is why 40 times are misleading at times.

Saw JT eat up a bunch of corners last weekend at a National Underclassman Combine last week. Same old thang. Any corner that matched up with him got burnt! This is why 40 times are misleading at times.

Great info!

Totally agree about 40 times being misleading. If you look at the all-time NFL best WRs, you'll find a lot of guys leading the stat categories who were never among the fastest guys in the League (Rice, Irvin, Reed, Monk, Carter, Ward, Owens, Harrison, etc., etc.).

Really excited to see JT running behind Ralphie in the black & gold next year!

Yeah..........this one has been the toughest one to crack, the 40. Just been hanging over the head forever. What I've learned over the years with Jeff is that he has football speed. Now at the U100 they had everyone running into the wind.........so if you look at the most of the kids results, they aren't too great. But with Jeff specifically........he's a kid that has different motivators. He's working hard to improve his timed speed but there is something about him running a straight line vs. running to catch a ball and make a play for his team that is like apples and oranges for him. He's a strong competitor and HATES to lose or have his teammates come down on him for a mistake........so when he's competing he somehow adjusts and can outrun most DBs to make the play. But you get him in a line with a timer, just doesn't happen like it should. I guess just a bad test taker for this one. Just like the vertical. I was excited to see his numbers improve but he has a standing reach of 99". Now he jumped 130.5 which was one of the highest at the camp but because of his reach, his vertical always looks lower than others in his position (can you tell this is my pet peeve). So this may be the one that haunts him thru the rest of high school. But I'm glad some folks got to see him. I keep saying i'm gonna film, but get too much into the hooting and hollering. State 7 on 7 is coming up next week..........so I hope to have a little video there. LOL!

It's funny how even the pros can fall in love with the "measurables" and forget the one single most important question about a player, "Can he play football?" There is a long history at both the college and pro level of guys who ran great 40's, killed it in the weight room, looked super in shorts and a t-shirt, and couldn't make a play if their life depended on it. On the other side there is also a long history of guys who were to short, to light, couldn't jump, a step to slow, have short arms, etc. who did nothing but make plays and help their teams win.

The measurables are important to an extent, I don't care how tough and technically advanced a kid is, if he is under 260lbs he isn't going to hold up at tackle in BCS football. On the other hand you look at that reciever who is a step slow but always open and catching the ball, that D-lineman who is short but nobody can block him.

JT looks like one of those guys who you can throw the numbers out the window with and just watch the tape. I don't disagree with those who say that the Buffs need to get bigger, stronger, and expecially faster but only if those guys can play.

Measurables are indicators. Not fool proof ones either. However, Scotty made a living being a good football player for us and his measurables are terrible. I'm stoked JT is with us, and that he's got such good support from his family. Hoping to see some film from the 7 on 7, but I know how the hooting and hollering can go :lol:

kthom25 mentioned that GT and JT were friends, anyone know if JT had a hand in recruiting GT?

kthom25 mentioned that GT and JT were friends, anyone know if JT had a hand in recruiting GT?

Actually we thought Gerald was on his way to Boise. LOL. So really this was an awesome surprise! Gerald is a great young man and they are both great competitors. They will compliment each other nicely!

I saw what I think was a great player comparison for Jeff Thomas over on the Rivals site.

Jeff Thomas's Rivals profile:

Duncanville, TX

Ht: 6'3"
Wt: 180 lbs
40: 4.66 secs

Rivals rating: 3* / 5.5
WR ranking: unranked

Dezmon Briscoe's Rivals profile (2007):

Cedar Hill, TX

Ht: 6'2"
Wt: 180 lbs
40: 4.7 secs

Rivals rating: 3* / 5.5
WR ranking: unranked

Let's hope we get similar production.

Also, I don't know if I'd mentioned it before but Jeff has a reported shuttle time of 4.22 secs. That's extremely quick, especially for his size. Big guys who can move like that simply get open. Pretty much impossible to cover when the ball is delivered on time.

Posted on Rivals yesterday by Adam (from the Texas 7on7 tournament):

1111124.jpg

Was real proud of the team today. We lost in the semi finals but Jeff made the all tournament team for Div I. Not bad for playing on a pulled hamstring!

Back