What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'13 AZ SG Jaron Hopkins (Signed to Colorado)

Rivals
Scout
ESPN
247Sports

3905.jpg

Basha H.S. (Chandler, AZ)

AAU: Compton Magic Black

Ht: 6-foot-4
Wt: 175 lbs

Rivals rating: 3*; unranked PG (#150 overall)
Scout rating: 4*; #18 SF (#84 overall)
ESPN rating: 4*-97 grade; #12 SG (#48 overall)
247 rating: NR

Reported Offers: Colorado, Arizona, Auburn, Boise State, Colorado State, Nebraska, Pennsylvania, Penn State, San Francisco, USC, UTEP, Washington State

He's 87 on ESPN.... Not 97

http://colorado.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1374427

Mutual interest continues... and no one stands out, despite a recent USC offer and visit.

"The most recent (offers) were from USC and Oregon State," he noted...

"I talk to Coach 'Marco' (Tom Abatemarco) all the time, probably once a month or so," he explained. "I think Colorado's a really good program. I went down there last year and they've got nice facilities. Coach (Tad) Boyle's a really good coach. I've been talking to him for a while, too.

"I wouldn't say any schools are standing out now. Probably not. I'm still considering everyone and Colorado is in there."

"The most recent (offers) were from USC and Oregon State," he noted...

"I talk to Coach 'Marco' (Tom Abatemarco) all the time, probably once a month or so," he explained. "I think Colorado's a really good program. I went down there last year and they've got nice facilities. Coach (Tad) Boyle's a really good coach. I've been talking to him for a while, too.

"I wouldn't say any schools are standing out now. Probably not. I'm still considering everyone and Colorado is in there."

I just wanted to point out how awesome it is to hear a top recruit say the bolded.

In-state kid + Sean Miller. I'm not saying it's helpless if Arizona starts going after him hard, but it's going to be damn tough.

Went from 3* (#150 overall) to 4* (#64 overall) on Rivals.

Rivals update says CU & USC are recruiting him the hardest.

Hopkins said as far as official visits go he's going to begin thinking about those after the evaluation period is over, in "mid-August" he said.

Although there are many recruits who are planning to take their time with decisions in the 2013 class, Hopkins doesn't want his recruitment to draw out too long.

"I definitely want to be committed before the high school season," he said. "I want to sign early, so I'll probably end up making a decision in October or so after I take some officials."

Is it common for these ultra athletic kids to lack a great outside shot? It makes sense to me that they only have so much practice time so they can usually excel at an outside or slashing game but rarely both in high school. That is a great writeup and sounds like an amazing prospect. It seems like Tad would rather find a slasher and make him an outside shooter than find an outside shooter and work on their inside game.

Is it common for these ultra athletic kids to lack a great outside shot? It makes sense to me that they only have so much practice time so they can usually excel at an outside or slashing game but rarely both in high school. That is a great writeup and sounds like an amazing prospect. It seems like Tad would rather find a slasher and make him an outside shooter than find an outside shooter and work on their inside game.

I don't know if it's emphasis in practice time or just the way guys are built/wired, but usually someone is either more of a shooter or more of a scorer. The great ones seem to be able to be good enough slashing to the basket to keep defenders honest or good enough at stopping and popping to keep defenders honest. I can't think of too many guys who have been equally good at both.

I don't know if it's emphasis in practice time or just the way guys are built/wired, but usually someone is either more of a shooter or more of a scorer. The great ones seem to be able to be good enough slashing to the basket to keep defenders honest or good enough at stopping and popping to keep defenders honest. I can't think of too many guys who have been equally good at both.

Hard to motivate a guy to develop other aspects of his game when he can do something at the HS level that most guys he faces have not hope of stopping. When a guy can drive to the hole anytime he wants to and finish virtually every time why put the work in to develop something else.

When he gets to the college level and runs into guys just waiting for him to try then he is forced to learn to mix in some other options.

Both Adam & Yung are reporting that Hopkins is visiting Oregon State this weekend, and Washington State the weekend after his CU visit (9/8). Yung also reports that UNLV will probably get a visit and he's uncertain about who his fifth visit will go to.

In all the daydreaming about Bird and a 5* class, people should not forget about Hopkins.

This guy is an absolute stud and in no way would he be a consolation prize. This is a Josh Scott/Xavier Johnson level recruit and the Buffs look to be in the lead here.

Detailed write-up from SoCalRecruitSpot: http://socalrecruitspot.wordpress.com/2012/08/06/jaron-hopkins-profile/

Definitely worth the full read, but here's an excerpt:

Jaron Hopkins is a hyper-athletic ’13 4-star and one of the more sought after recruits on the West coast. He is an offensive force and a “jump out of the building” leaper. Hopkins possesses point guard handles and the lane-driving capability of a high level wing. Widely regarded as among the elite of the state of Arizona’s ’13 ballers, there’s little doubt his recruitment will prove hotly contested. In ’11-’12 Hopkins impacted the stat sheet as few others. Registering 21.8 points, 7.0 rebounds, 6.0 assists, and 5.3 steals per game, Hopkins led the Basha High Bears to a 22-7 record and a #10 state (Arizona) ranking. Combining his points scored (21.8) and the points resulting from his assists (6 apg, minimum 12 pts/gm), Hopkins directly contributed 33.8 of the 69.4 points per game tallied last season by Basha. Equally impressive was the efficiency with which Hopkins scored. After shooting 43% as a sophomore, the 6’4 G/F dialed up his junior campaign shooting to an eye-popping 60%. Hopkins carries a dizzying array of finishing moves (to include low-post), plays and scores through contact and possesses exceptional court-vision. It is rare a defender can match Hopkins’ quicks and agility while also possessing the size to deal with the height (6’4) and bounce #1 brings to bear. On the defensive end, Hopkins also proves a statistical standout. His 5.3 steals per game (’11-’12) led the state of Arizona and ranked #23 nationally. Mix in an average of 6.1 rebounds per game (’11-’12) and present is the makings of a future fantasy basketball juggernaut. Working to disprove the “dumb-jock” stereotype, Hopkins sports a 3.6 GPA for good measure.

Re: '13 AZ SG Jaron Hopkins

Wow this is just such an amazing time for CU basketball. I fell like we are watching a powerhouse being built from the ground up.

This guy is an absolute stud and in no way would he be a consolation prize. This is a Josh Scott/Xavier Johnson level recruit and the Buffs look to be in the lead here.

:stupid:

I LOVE Hopkins. Kid's a stud. He actually reminds me a bit of The Mayor. I don't think he has Spencer's PG skills, but he's servicable at the point. He's a pretty good shooter (obviously). and his defense is top notch. If we land Hopkins, this class is considered a success.

:stupid:

I LOVE Hopkins. Kid's a stud. He actually reminds me a bit of The Mayor. I don't think he has Spencer's PG skills, but he's servicable at the point. He's a pretty good shooter (obviously). and his defense is top notch. If we land Hopkins, this class is considered a success.
I think Hopkins is actually a better athlete. And he's the type of secondary ball handler who, with his size, can really help a team beat the press.

I'm amazed the lack of buzz Hopkins' visit is getting. Come on guys, this is a BIG TIME prospect for us. To go in to Arizona and steal a kid of this caliber from the 'Cats would be huge.

And if you need more proof, check out the youtube he tweeted out last night (I would just post the youtube here, but work blocks it):

https://twitter.com/jaronfor3/status/240987513525776384

Back