What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'13 CO TE Mitchell Parsons (Transfer to CSU from Vanderbilt)

Something about our recruitment of Parsons just doesn't add up to me.
1st: Embree and Co go after him and get his commitment which apparently excited the staff and us
2nd: He decommits apparently b/c of our crappy on field performance (who could blame him)
3rd: Apparently Embree & Co show no interest in keeping the lines of communication open with him despite the fact that he was an awesome fit for what we were supposedly trying to do with our offense
4th: Mac comes here saying Colorado is our #1 priority for recruiting; he is one of the top in-state recruits this year who has not yet committed elsewhere and appears to be keen on us showing him some love.

I realize he may not be a 100% fit for the pistol spread but he is a very talented TE and I bet you he'd do fine in that offense.

I personally think-without knowing ANYTHING about him-that there is something else going on here. Like grades or attitude or something that turned off the old staff and was shared with Mac. Does anyone else think that too?

I kinda wish Mac would at least reach out and talk to him even if they're not interested. I get that they might not want a TE or don't think highly of him, but for the sake of mending fences in state, making a visit to the kid seems moderately well worth their time.

The last staff was not sad to see him decommit.
Duff, I believe that is true by the staff's behaviour (i.e. apparently not keeping lines of communication open with him) but I don't understand why. There must be something more to this story we are missing.

Duff, I believe that is true by the staff's behaviour (i.e. apparently not keeping lines of communication open with him) but I don't understand why. There must be something more to this story we are missing.

They did not think he was as good a football player as they originally thought.

They did not think he was as good a football player as they originally thought.

I'm not sure I ever read that from a credible source. But certainly, his lack of interest makes this theory plausible. But he is taking a trip to Vandy (well, supposedly he is) this weekend.

Something is unusual here. If the last staff knew something, Hagan would pass it on to the new staff.

For my theory about not needing a T/E this cycle...... Yes, if he really was as talented as his 4-star rating suggests, we'd be recruiting him and figuring it out later.

So, your logic is that even if the kid doesn't fit your scheme and he won't break into the lineup, you use one of your few scholarships on him because he's a top player from Colorado? How does that help mend fences with local high schools? .
Is that a serious question?

I think something is up too. I have been saying Vandi for a while now. If he doesn't go Vandi on his recruiting weekend than he isn't a 4 star like we thought. If he doesn't pull the trigger to Vandi or Ole Miss soon something is up.

The local guys need to know that when they have somebody special, there will be a place for him at CU. By all accounts Parsons is a top tier TE. Local coaches need to feel comfortable that the best the State has is good enough for CU... Even if sometimes it might not be. If they start thinking otherwise, we have a much harder time landing the in-state guys we really want. It's one scholly. For the good it could do for future recruiting, you offer the kid.

The local guys need to know that when they have somebody special, there will be a place for him at CU. By all accounts Parsons is a top tier TE. Local coaches need to feel comfortable that the best the State has is good enough for CU... Even if sometimes it might not be. If they start thinking otherwise, we have a much harder time landing the in-state guys we really want. It's one scholly. For the good it could do for future recruiting, you offer the kid.

I agree. I'd like to see an effort made to land Parsons by the new Mac. I think it sends a good message and I think this kid will see the field plenty. Talent and smarts finds a way play for a good coach.

Re: '13 CO TE Mitchell Parsons

I think something is up too. I have been saying Vandi for a while now. If he doesn't go Vandi on his recruiting weekend than he isn't a 4 star like we thought. If he doesn't pull the trigger to Vandi or Ole Miss soon something is up.

Is that the white trash spelling of that school?

And at this point it isn't like we are overloaded with top end athletes. The staff may feel like we are reasonably strong at TE but when you have a chance to get a guy who looks to be a step up athletically from what we have as most of the team you take him then worry about figuring out how to give him an opportunity to earn playing time.

If we have that many good athletes at the position then you figure out how to get them on the field even if that means adjusting what you do or some of them a shot at other positions.

By all accounts? This thread has certainly cast doubt on that.

By your logic, HCMM should offer one player at each Colorado school where he wants to build a bridge. Make everyone feel good?

CU has about 4 scholarships to give right now, and perhaps 20-25 kids coming in to visit in the next 3 weekends.

I can't agree that offering a scholarship to a kid who either is not good enough (i.e. the ratings system over-rated him) or is not a good fit for THIS offense, will build any sort of long term good will. That doesn't build a program. That doesn't make anyone feel better in the end. (Ever heard how grumpy HS coaches get when their kid goes somewhere and doesn't play?)

Frankly, the best thing that HCMM can do to make local coaches feel comfortable is invite them to campus, do clinics, and............WIN. And I don't think the number of juice boxes provided at those coaching clinics will have a big effect in the end.

By all accounts? This thread has certainly cast doubt on that.

By your logic, HCMM should offer one player at each Colorado school where he wants to build a bridge. Make everyone feel good?

CU has about 4 scholarships to give right now, and perhaps 20-25 kids coming in to visit in the next 3 weekends.

I can't agree that offering a scholarship to a kid who either is not good enough (i.e. the ratings system over-rated him) or is not a good fit for THIS offense, will build any sort of long term good will. That doesn't build a program. That doesn't make anyone feel better in the end. (Ever heard how grumpy HS coaches get when their kid goes somewhere and doesn't play?)

Frankly, the best thing that HCMM can do to make local coaches feel comfortable is invite them to campus, do clinics, and............WIN. And I don't think the number of juice boxes provided at those coaching clinics will have a big effect in the end.

We can agree to disagree.

I actually think Parsons would be a great fit for this offense. He's a receiving TE and not very far along as a blocker. It was the Embree/Bieniemy offense I questioned his fit for.

Parsons is a good player, would be a great addition to the program, but i also do like the TEs currently on scholarship. If Parsons doesn't sign with CU, I will wish him the best.

1. Limited scholarships to give that should be focused on positions of greater need
2. If Parsons hardly sees the field in the next few years or decides to transfer for that and other reasons, it doesn't mend fences nearly as much as local coaches can continue to tell their players they can go to CU but the coach won't play them. We need to close the borders for guys who will contribute, yes, and I think we'll have a better start on that when we're not already fulfilling promises to the dozen out of state guys Embree already had commit.

Rumor has it, Parsons put on some weight his senior year and the film was less than impressive. Which is apparently why Embree and crew weren't upset to see him decommit and why other offers have been few and far between.

Now we can all stop fighting!

I still think it'd be smart to at least reach out to Parsons and have a chat with him as to why they aren't recruiting him or whatever.

I don't have any big problems if he signs elsewhere. I wish he would sign with Colorado. I wish all the big name athletes in Colorado would stay home.

That being said -- it sounds like he is being strung along by pretty much everyone right now. There has to be more to his story.

Jason Gaines would appear to be the first commit for class of 2014 as a juco TE, according to Shane Dillon (first posted in Jason's thread by Montana Buff). Shane calls him a Buff.

Met with coach Mac this past week, has been working with admissions to get everything in order and scheduled correctly. Hopes to be an early enrollee, so will count against 2013 class I suspect.

Last edited:
Rumor has it, Parsons put on some weight his senior year and the film was less than impressive. Which is apparently why Embree and crew weren't upset to see him decommit and why other offers have been few and far between.

Now we can all stop fighting!

I still think it'd be smart to at least reach out to Parsons and have a chat with him as to why they aren't recruiting him or whatever.
Knew this the week of the Washington game... Kept it quiet not knowing what would happen in the next couple of weeks. Wasn't a rumor.

You're welcome all! Had promised to keep quiet, but since Embo is gone now, figured the news was O. B. E.

Back