What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2013-14 Coaching Carousel Thread

BNG / Nic, as the two of you seem to follow this closer than most, what tweaks would you make to our staff?

Evaluating this staff is still ongoing with me. The talent level on the team is low and great talent can make most coaches look good and bad talent can make you look worse.

But I will give you my initial thoughts.

• I have never been a fan of Kent Baer, he is pretty much a cook book guy and not innovative. People screamed at Greg Brown but Baer's inability to do anything to slow down the Read Option - Zone read was infuriating to me. We had the 108th rated defense and in conference play we were no better than last year.
  • Lindgren did not show me much either. CU's red zone offense was lacking. Considering that we had Richardson and better QB play I would of hoped we would be better. But he is a young guy and like I said talent was lacking so I am wait and see on him.
  • Jeffcoat is an enigma to me. You would think his name value would get you a little more on the recruiting trail but he seems to be very low profile. The dline play this year was unimpressive - one of the lowest Sack totals in a long time. CUD seemed to regress this year. Some of this may be Baer's schemes more than dline coaching.
  • Recruiting ability of this staff has been talked about plenty. But put me in the category that good recruiters can recruit above their record. Recruiting has to improve.

Overall it is too early to really say if someone is good or bad for most of the staff. I believe that CU's biggest issue is lack of talent to compete with the rest of the conference. Opposing coaches are good at coaching up their players also and if they have better players to start with then you know how it goes.

Evaluating this staff is still ongoing with me. The talent level on the team is low and great talent can make most coaches look good and bad talent can make you look worse.

But I will give you my initial thoughts.

• I have never been a fan of Kent Baer, he is pretty much a cook book guy and not innovative. People screamed at Greg Brown but Baer's inability to do anything to slow down the Read Option - Zone read was infuriating to me. We had the 108th rated defense and in conference play we were no better than last year.
  • Lindgren did not show me much either. CU's red zone offense was lacking. Considering that we had Richardson and better QB play I would of hoped we would be better. But he is a young guy and like I said talent was lacking so I am wait and see on him.
  • Jeffcoat is an enigma to me. You would think his name value would get you a little more on the recruiting trail but he seems to be very low profile. The dline play this year was unimpressive - one of the lowest Sack totals in a long time. CUD seemed to regress this year. Some of this may be Baer's schemes more than dline coaching.
  • Recruiting ability of this staff has been talked about plenty. But put me in the category that good recruiters can recruit above their record. Recruiting has to improve.

Overall it is too early to really say if someone is good or bad for most of the staff. I believe that CU's biggest issue is lack of talent to compete with the rest of the conference. Opposing coaches are good at coaching up their players also and if they have better players to start with then you know how it goes.

I think the whole staff needs another year maybe two before they can be accurately evaluated. They deserve the extra time based on the progress that we showed this year. We are nowhere near where we want to be; but there are definitely signs that we are improving under this staff.
I agree with the confusion on Jeffcoat. Seems like he would be a huge asset in recruiting. Per Rivals, he was not assigned many players. That surprises me. He likely had an impact on the number of DL commits this year; but I was expecting more. I hope he picks it up next year.
I also think if we can bring in a great recruiter to compete head to head in the PAC 12, I hope Mac would make a switch in his staff. Not that anyone on the staff has done anything worth being fired for, just if we could tweak the staff to improve our ability to sell the program to blue chip recruits, coupled with Mac's ability to find diamonds in the rough, we could be set. It is cold; but that is part of the reason the coaches get paid so well.
My suggestion would be to move Hagan back to assistant coach -cornerbacks, La Russa to Special teams and offer Neinas Hagan's Staff position.

I think the whole staff needs another year maybe two before they can be accurately evaluated. They deserve the extra time based on the progress that we showed this year. We are nowhere near where we want to be; but there are definitely signs that we are improving under this staff.
I agree with the confusion on Jeffcoat. Seems like he would be a huge asset in recruiting. Per Rivals, he was not assigned many players. That surprises me. He likely had an impact on the number of DL commits this year; but I was expecting more. I hope he picks it up next year.
I also think if we can bring in a great recruiter to compete head to head in the PAC 12, I hope Mac would make a switch in his staff. Not that anyone on the staff has done anything worth being fired for, just if we could tweak the staff to improve our ability to sell the program to blue chip recruits, coupled with Mac's ability to find diamonds in the rough, we could be set. It is cold; but that is part of the reason the coaches get paid so well.
My suggestion would be to move Hagan back to assistant coach -cornerbacks, La Russa to Special teams and offer Neinas Hagan's Staff position.

Mine: Better Texas recruiting a must.

Neinas must go to make that slot. Of course I am still frosted about nepotism at QB, and Hawk, and his old mans place in that debacle, so that is coloring my opinion. I don't know how that hire happened with soooo many reasons for it not to take place.

Mark Richt hired Pruitt as DC, great hire for Georgia.
Does anyone understand this move? Arguably at best it is lateral but hard to say that b/c Georgia is not in contention at the end of things and he just won the NC 3 years in a row and was a DC already for FSU. What am I missing?

yzc.gif

Does anyone understand this move? Arguably at best it is lateral but hard to say that b/c Georgia is not in contention at the end of things and he just won the NC 3 years in a row and was a DC already for FSU. What am I missing?

Maybe he thinks he'll be promoted to HC when Richt gets fired next year? Seriously though, I know it was a bump in pay but I'm surprised by this move too. Getting back into the SEC is probably more prestigious than the ACC though.

And Athens >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tallahassee.

Maybe he thinks he'll be promoted to HC when Richt gets fired next year? Seriously though, I know it was a bump in pay but I'm surprised by this move too. Getting back into the SEC is probably more prestigious than the ACC though.

And Athens >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tallanasty.

Fify

Not surprising...I doubt the bowl game was the only reason, but an Okie frosh ripping the DB's couldn't have helped.

That was pretty brutal.Saban doesn't **** around,if you're not cutting it, smell ya later.I admire that,but he's still the debil.

Good for him ! Great place and coaches on staff to learn from. His salary will be around the $25,000 range, but worth it in the long run. I am sure his dads millions will help him get by.

Good for him ! Great place and coaches on staff to learn from. His salary will be around the $25,000 range, but worth it in the long run. I am sure his dads millions will help him get by.

25k in Columbus is like 100k in Boulder.

Congrats to Cody. From the sounds of the article I read, he's approaching this in the right way.
Cody Hawkins' mom always thought he'd end up as a football coach.Mom always knows best.
Cody, the son of former Boise State and Colorado coach Dan Hawkins, began his college coaching career Monday as a graduate assistant at Ohio State. Hawkins was working for Nike before accepting an offer on Thursday from Ohio State and coach Urban Meyer.

"I did not have a whole lot of time to think. I didn't need to," said Hawkins, who played at Bishop Kelly and Colorado.
Hawkins will be working with offensive skill players, including quarterbacks and wide receivers. The Buckeyes, who played in the Orange Bowl earlier this month, are led by quarterback Braxton Miller.
"When he comes off, you hand him a bottle of water and a towel," Hawkins said of Miller. "He's a great talent. I'm sure Im going to learn a ton from him. He definitely doesn't need my help."

Hawkins is in Columbus to learn — and to help wherever he can.
"I'm excited to get my hands dirty," Hawkins said.

After ending his playing career in 2012, Hawkins spent a few months coaching at Bishop Kelly during the 2012 season.
"I've never had as much fun as I did coaching those kids at Bishop Kelly," he said.
But he took a job with Nike and has been working for apparel giant since. He had an opportunity to move up in the company before Meyer called offering him a spot at the bottom of the coaching game.

"Misti Hawkins was always convinced," Cody Hawkins said. "The passion for football never really leaves you."
Meyer offered the job Thursday. Hawkins loaded up his stuff Friday and drove from Miami to Columbus, Ohio. He's been sleeping on the floor with clothes as a pillow. He started work Monday at 7 a.m. His stuff is due to arrive soon.
"It's an appropriate start to a GA career," he said

Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2014/01/15/2975052/in-his-genes-cody-hawkins-takes.html#storylink=cpy

After 5 minutes in Columbus Cody is going to say to himself, "So this is how a head coach is supposed to run a program."

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by BuffNut99 After 5 minutes in Columbus Cody is going to say to himself, "So this is how a program is run."

Corrected that for you

Back