What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2013-14 Coaching Carousel Thread

Tim Beckman fighting with assistants on the sideline. Illinois will lose their shot at bowl eligibility with the loss today. I thought at the beginning of the year that they may be turning it around but it doesn't look like it's gonna happen.

That's completely delusional. Univ of Texas taking Baylor leftovers? Their sloppy seconds?!! HA HA HA.

Just like they'd never EVER take an ag leftover.

Only Baylor fans love deluding themselves into thinking they've got such an important coaching find. Texas (and more importantly, the TV dollars from ESPN) will find some very strong countenance and personality, NOT some leftover chaw-stained drawler. ESPN's got 330 million reasons to insist on a far better guarantor of their investment.

My guess is we may see NU, UF, Miss. St., possibly Cal, and UT join the carousel.....

I seriously doubt Dykes is going anywhere anytime soon. His buyout is 3.75 mil this year and 3 mil next year, and it's not like their athletic department has money to spare.

I seriously doubt Dykes is going anywhere anytime soon. His buyout is 3.75 mil this year and 3 mil next year, and it's not like their athletic department has money to spare.
Did not know that, but after tonight I say...great, keep him.

There's going to be some significant movement this offseason.

Maybe someone will be smart enough to snatch up Cutcliffe from Duke.

His big "failure", was that he had a 4-7 season at Ole Miss after taking them to 5 straight bowl games in his other seasons there - including a 10-win, Top 15, tied for 1st in the SEC West year the season before they fired him. Victim of his own success.

It took him 5 years to get Duke to a bowl game last season. Now they're 8-2 and poised to represent the ACC Coastal in the Championship game. That's a minor miracle of a program build.

It took him 5 years to get Duke to a bowl game last season. Now they're 8-2 and poised to represent the ACC Coastal in the Championship game. That's a minor miracle of a program build.

Reminiscent of a certain former CU coach who had previously built up the Northwestern program?

His big "failure", was that he had a 4-7 season at Ole Miss after taking them to 5 straight bowl games in his other seasons there - including a 10-win, Top 15, tied for 1st in the SEC West year the season before they fired him. Victim of his own success.

Yeah, it's not like taking over a Stanford or something. There's really no explaining how pathetically bad Duke football was. I know people toss this phrase around a lot, but I'm dead serious when I say this: there are plenty of high schools that draw better crowds and had better facilities than Duke. The rut they were in was just mind-bogglingly awful with guys like Carl Franks.

Muschamp is apparently safe, but his OC and OL coach are not. Why delay the inevitable when you could land Charlie Strong?

Muschamp is apparently safe, but his OC and OL coach are not. Why delay the inevitable when you could land Charlie Strong?

Good question.

Has there ever been a single case of the "keep the HC but replace the assistants" strategy that has worked?

There may have been but I can't think of any offhand.

Duke went 6-45 and 3-33 in conference in the 4 years previous to Cutliffe and had not beaten a conference foe in 3 years. Duke football:ACC football::KSU:Big 8 football.

At 59 though do any stronger programs take a risk? Seems like he could end his career at Duke if he wanted. Very few teams need a HC that don't have to rebuild. If he goes to the ACC title game what he's done is nothing short of remarkable. I'm actually wondering if the NFL comes calling.

So who are today's surprises.

This is a weekend that has been notable in the past for when we get surprising coaching changes.

Might be an unexpected firing.

More likely is an unexpected retirement. Not saying it will be him but a guy like Spurrier, older coach who has had success and starts seeing it slipping a little bit. Doesn't want to expend the energy to get it back so goes out relatively close to the top.

Might by Snyder at KjSU who has had a dissapointing season and is now facing new rules that make winning the JuCo recruiting wars harder.

Sounds like Pelini will be sticking around::thumbsup:

On Saturday Nebraska athletic director Shawn Eichorst put his full support behind the Nebraska coach.

“My approach has always been to not comment publicly about our coaches until their full seasons are complete, as I strongly believe it is unfair and counter to best practices," said Eichorst in a release. "However, given the volume of unfounded speculation and conjecture about our head football coach, I want to reaffirm what I have said many times since I have arrived at the University of Nebraska — that I positively respect, appreciate and support our football student-athletes, coaches and staff, as we do everyone in the Husker family. We very much look forward to our upcoming bowl game and Coach Pelini continuing to lead our program in the future.”

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...d-bo-pelini-will-continue-to-lead-our-program

Waylon said in another thread, and I agree, the alpha nose wants out and wants his buyout. That is how I read that presser.

Snyder (retirement) could happen but it would surprise me since they have been better than I thought they'd be without Klein. There's always that quick trigger firing that surprises everyone like Mario Cristobal's last year though after seeing FIU this year maybe programs have learned better. There's also the curious case of Southern Miss, poised to have consecutive winless seasons. Ellis Johnson was one-and-done; I think it's too much trouble to do the same for Todd Monken though.

The hot seat has cooled at the big programs over the last month with Texas, Michigan, and Nebraska seemingly safe, Florida's AD giving a lot of supportive public statements about Muschamp, and Orgeron keeps winning so there is still the possibility of his interim gig winning him the job outright. The carousel for the first time I can remember had a lot more momentum in October than it seems it will have in December, though coordinator and HC movement may be increased by those leaving other programs for these open positions.

Two I think have worn out their welcome are Rich Ellerson (Army) and Dave Christensen (Wyoming). Beyond that it's tough to call. I'm shocked at the lack of results Mike London has produced for the talent he has.

Back