What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2016 CFB News & Notes (National)

I disagree. He simply wasn't good enough.
Yep. Unfortunately, Powell does not have the speed to play in the NFL at the RB position. That was pretty evident. FB might have been a different question, but since its rarely used, he probably would have had the same chances.

Yep. Unfortunately, Powell does not have the speed to play in the NFL at the RB position. That was pretty evident. FB might have been a different question, but since its rarely used, he probably would have had the same chances.

He was never going to be a tailback. The NFL doesn't use the FB as much as it did but they are still out there and Pow could have been a very good one. Can't be good though in the training room and he just couldn't keep his head away from contact. If I were a pro team I would hesitate to keep him for that reason.

I remember thinking he was a pretty darn good back in year 1. It all seemed to go downhill from there. Don't really remember why. Definitely a shame.

No, I meant the season that just finished. From a student's perspective or someone who doesn't particularly follow the team closely, that type of season really isn't going to garner much excitement or enthusiasm. There were a few good wins vs Zona, Cal, and Oregon but I don't think we ever got ranked and thus aren't a presence on sportscenter/espn.com/etc. Also, the Pac 12 was proven to be way overrated and we didn't make a run in the conference tournament and weren't in the race for the regular season championship. Making the NCAA tournament is great, but we bowed out before the casual fan could really even get into it.

That's a good summary of last season.

That's a good summary of last season.
The team lost one game at home. What more could you really ask for from a student perspective? The Pac-12 is overrated narrative is tired. Yes Utah and Arizona lost a round before they were supposed to but other than that it was mostly lower seeds losing where they should have and Cal losing when they lost their senior guard to a broken hand, top bench player to illness and best player to foul trouble. This is just more excuses and ****ting on a good Colorado team for no reason.

I remember thinking he was a pretty darn good back in year 1. It all seemed to go downhill from there. Don't really remember why. Definitely a shame.
For being such a big back, it seemed like he was our worst short yardage guy, and he seemed to fumble at the most inopportune moments (Hawaii and USC come to mind off the top).

Damn. How bad do you have to be to get cut before training camp even starts?

And he was our starting running back for the last four years.

Yikes.

Damn. How bad do you have to be to get cut before training camp even starts?

And he was our starting running back for the last four years.

Yikes.

Doctors told the coaching staff he would be fine as long as he didn't hit anyone or get hit in the head.

Gone.

He probably wouldn't have a shot at the NFL even if he was healthy so best for him not to risk scrambling his brains in meaningless training camp drills.

Doctors told the coaching staff he would be fine as long as he didn't hit anyone or get hit in the head.

Gone.

He probably wouldn't have a shot at the NFL even if he was healthy so best for him not to risk scrambling his brains in meaningless training camp drills.
What's with the concussion stuff that you kee bringing up? CP is not some poster child for getting concussions and is not the only guy to get one or will get one in the future. He simply wasn't good enough. End of story.

What's with the concussion stuff that you kee bringing up? CP is not some poster child for getting concussions and is not the only guy to get one or will get one in the future. He simply wasn't good enough. End of story.
I know, WTF Mtn?

I remember Pow missing time at least twice due to concussions. He had other injuries as well but is a tough guy and played through a lot.

Having a concussion or two isn't unusual for a college football player and many go on to have extended careers after. Problem for Powell is that his style of play seems to lend itself to taking a lot of hard hits, he doesn't exactly avoid contact.

If he was a guy who had a high probability of making a team and making substantial money the risk may be worth considering. He isn't a guy who is likely to make a bunch of money off the NFL. As many have already posted he isn't a great prospect and plays a position that isn't in high demand. Might be best for him to move on with his memories and his degree and move on with life.

Please do not speculate on player injuries and especially do not make declarative statements about player injuries unless you are able to provide a reputable source.

I also think it's weird for fans to say things like, "Because of the concussions he sustained, it may be best if he just hangs it up". A lot of that was being thrown around with Gillam months ago as well, and I never quite understood why fans think they know what's personally best for a person's life.

I also think it's weird for fans to say things like, "Because of the concussions he sustained, it may be best if he just hangs it up". A lot of that was being thrown around with Gillam months ago as well, and I never quite understood why fans think they know what's personally best for a person's life.

Didn't you hear? If you have an internet connection it means you are able to make diagnoses that the ignorant would assume only someone's personal physician would be qualified to make.

I was referring to your declarative statement on why he was released by the Steelers.
Didn't think that was declarative, more speculative but we don't have a font for that. Steelers certainly don't release their reasoning for any cut, just speculating on balancing his talent level vs. a risk level.

We have also seen enough players who have suffered from long-term effects of head injuries that I have been pretty consistent in advocating that guys with a history should consider (with independent medical advice) giving up the game in favor of long-term safety.

I could throw in all the disclaimers but then people would complain about length of post.

3ce45461a09e3774433e37a00b8e36cd431eba97cd81c05c28fcd935e647daf0.jpg

Back