What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2016: Recruiting News, Notes & Official Visitors

I believe we tried to get Rising, but he wanted the sun debils. I sure they promised him a car or something. He chose to go somewhere else. Graham probably pitched that they are a better program than we are. Did Rising have any ties to Colorado? And how do you say no to the girls at ASU?

I believe the coaches missed out on Rising, hence the concern.

You mean guys like Wiefels? No thanks. We already have 6 junior OL. You want to add more to that? We are going to have to live with the OL players we have. I haven't seen 5 star juco OL lining up to get into CU. Have you? We don't need more Weifels. Sure they fill in gaps and holes in the depth chart and balance out the class. But they rarely have huge immediate impact.

Mac needs skilled impact players now. We lose Spruce and no one beside Fields steps up. Makes sense to me why we would go after big juco WR. We lose Crawley and there isn't anyone that has shown the ability to play consistent to help Awuzi. Makes sense we would go after some CB. I'm just sorry we lost Watts. Kid could have pressed for playing time right away.

So no juco could have played gotcha. So all this depth you say we have, what guys are going to improve the ol in 2016? OL and DL, I will say it slowly, lack QUALITY.

I think we'll see plenty of new names come up as OL/DL/LB targets in the final weeks, at least that's the impression I've gotten from twitter stalking. I don't think the coaches have forgotten where our biggest weaknesses are. Bernardi/Jeffcoat hurt but Chev's looking out for our best interests.

Is there any evidence that Bernardi and Jeffcoat are even actively recruiting right now? If not, might this be evidence that Mac is not done tweaking the staff?

Regarding the D-line, we took five last year and we get Topou and Hennington back this year. I take the lack of D-line recruits to mean they are happy with the guys they got last year. The D-line will be good this year with a year of experience and the infusion of the above referenced plus a healthy Eddie Lopez. They can continue to bring along last years recruits and then recruit in a solid crop of DL next year. The offensive line seems a little more perplexing, 3 last year and two this year.

As some have mentioned above, for us to win next year we the priority is playmakers. I like what we have coming in, but I hope we get Ronnie Turner and Webb. We cannot afford a drop off at quarterback and receiver or it will be a tough year and it is to early to count on the young talent.

With OL, I was complaining to Adam and he pointed out we lost 1 to graduation and are bringing in 2 - probably 3 if Roberts ends up at OL.

DL lost 1 and we are also bringing in more than that with Bennion + return of Tupou & maybe Henington along with a possible addition among active recruiting targets.

Yes, it's light. But it's also a small class coming off a year we had almost no graduation.

I think the two theories here both have merit. (1) The OL and DL recruiting kinda sucks / the OL and DL coaches aren't good at recruiting; (2) HCMM needs to win this year and is focusing on instant impact skill guys (a big hole in the depth chart if you ask me).

Those two aren't at odds. It's just convenient that this year not focusing on the lines is the right strategy.

It's a little concerning when Lytle is the closest to seeing real game time out of an entire OL class. I am actually higher on him than most others because he seems like he can actually pass block unlike the current tackles but that is still an issue.

I think the more interesting aspect of the changes on the coaching staff is it seems to indicate a fundamental shift in the overall recruiting strategy. I doubt the days of deliberate evaluation through many satellite camps (may soon be abolished by the NCAA anyway) are coming back.

My theory of OL recruiting numbers starts from the premise that you want your starting line to be made up entirely of 4th and 5th year players. I also assume that through attrition (all types) you will lose 1/2 to 1 player from each class every year. Which means that "fully stocked" the pipeline looks approximately like this:
2 or 3 fifth year players
3 fourth year players
3 or 4 third year players
4 second year players
4 or 5 first year players
for a total of 16-19 OL. Interestingly, if you work what the numbers "should be" by saying they make up 22% of the starting positions, so they should be 22% of the scholarships, you get to the same place: 19.

If you're off those targets in any but the first or second year, your only realistic option is to go to the JUCO or transfer market to fill the gap (the unrealistic option is to find one of the 10 or so high school seniors in the country that will be ready to play in less than 2 years).

And if you fail to recruit 4 or 5 OL every single class, you are pretty much guaranteeing that you will have holes to fill in the future.

That's the numbers part of it. Quality is a different story.

My theory of OL recruiting numbers starts from the premise that you want your starting line to be made up entirely of 4th and 5th year players. I also assume that through attrition (all types) you will lose 1/2 to 1 player from each class every year. Which means that "fully stocked" the pipeline looks approximately like this:
2 or 3 fifth year players
3 fourth year players
3 or 4 third year players
4 second year players
4 or 5 first year players
for a total of 16-19 OL. Interestingly, if you work what the numbers "should be" by saying they make up 22% of the starting positions, so they should be 22% of the scholarships, you get to the same place: 19.

If you're off those targets in any but the first or second year, your only realistic option is to go to the JUCO or transfer market to fill the gap (the unrealistic option is to find one of the 10 or so high school seniors in the country that will be ready to play in less than 2 years).

And if you fail to recruit 4 or 5 OL every single class, you are pretty much guaranteeing that you will have holes to fill in the future.

That's the numbers part of it. Quality is a different story.
Except that some years you have 15 available and some you have 25. Plus or minus. Seems to me like we need to try to balance out the classes.

Except that some years you have 15 available and some you have 25. Plus or minus. Seems to me like we need to try to balance out the classes.
That was one of many challenges MM inherited. I think he's pretty close to actually having it fixed, a couple more transfers/jucos this year and next and he'll be there - I'd have to double check, but I think the "ideal" is that you sign 20 every year.

There has definitely been a shift in strategy when it comes to social media out reach. A lot more activity on Twitter since the start of the year and not just from Chev.

There has definitely been a shift in strategy when it comes to social media out reach. A lot more activity on Twitter since the start of the year and not just from Chev.

While I think the increased use of social media is a great move, it cracks me up that our best recruiter (Tumpkin IMO) doesn't use it at all.

While I think the increased use of social media is a great move, it cracks me up that our best recruiter (Tumpkin IMO) doesn't use it at all.

True, but I am seeing a lot more energy? out of Adams, Lindgren, etc. Have to start somewhere.

Lindgren has started tweeting like hes mini chev. New Recruiting coord >> old recruiting coord so far

Lindgren has started tweeting like hes mini chev. New Recruiting coord >> old recruiting coord so far

As B&G pointed out many times the old approach was apparently to recruit thru camps. Because thats what worked at SJSU. Mike MacIntyre is apparently smart enough to realize that that wasn't working here in the bigs. The new philosophy is to onboard stronger recruiters. If the other guys learn from that and save their own necks then good for them.

As I said before I think Lindgren could be in trouble. So could a few others. Many are good coaches as that part is not rocket science. However, finding that good coach that is also a charismatic and engaging sales person is another matter. I think guys like Leavitt and now Chiv are going to hold a lot more sway with Mac going forward because of the talent they are bringing in.

Reports are that Chev has energized the entire staff while also changing philosophy to "Colorado backs down to no one in recruiting".

Leadership. Lead by example. Lead with energy. You gotta love that. Ive worked places that had a beat up and down and out feeling because of mixed bag of success and failure. Ive seen a guy like that walk in and energize everyone. It's awesome if this is truly whats happening.

This is the philosophy we should always have in recruiting. Always

Yes. But we hadn't. Chev just said in the media that if he sees CA kids that USC and UCLA are going after... then CU needs to be fighting and winning those battles. Same thing with TX kids offered by UT and aTm. Before, it felt like when the coaches saw that competition that they backed off if they weren't getting unexpected immediate traction and moved resources to recruits they felt they had a better shot at landing. Not any more. Now it's about competing and beating those programs on the recruiting trail.

Yes. But we hadn't. Chev just said in the media that if he sees CA kids that USC and UCLA are going after... then CU needs to be fighting and winning those battles. Same thing with TX kids offered by UT and aTm. Before, it felt like when the coaches saw that competition that they backed off if they weren't getting unexpected immediate traction and moved resources to recruits they felt they had a better shot at landing. Not any more. Now it's about competing and beating those programs on the recruiting trail.
Sad, but true. Imagine having an entire staff like this!

Not only that, but realizing that recruiting goes all the way to signing day. It sure seemed like the coaches were willing to wrap up recruiting in December in the past.

We are still going to lose the majority of recruiting battles with USC, UCLA, Stanford, etc. but we can and should win some. If we don't go after those kids then we automatically lose all of them. Same applies with the quality kids in Texas. Leavitt has shown that if we ask we can get talent out of Florida.

Recruiting is about selling. When you are SJSU you can win games going after guys overlooked by your competition. At the PAC level there aren't enough players of that level who get overlooked. To win you have recruit head to head and win your share of the commitments.

Back