What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2016: Recruiting News, Notes & Official Visitors

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. Chev was likely recruited by McCartney before you stepped down. He knows what the vision was for Colorado. He knows how effective that sales pitch can be. Glad to have him in charge of recruiting.

I think the more interesting aspect of the changes on the coaching staff is it seems to indicate a fundamental shift in the overall recruiting strategy. I doubt the days of deliberate evaluation through many satellite camps (may soon be abolished by the NCAA anyway) are coming back.
Of course they will. Nick Saban told them to.

Reports are that Chev has energized the entire staff while also changing philosophy to "Colorado backs down to no one in recruiting".
It's great that Chev is firing up the staff. From an outsiders perspective we needed that. It's a shame we needed that though. Hopefully the next hire(s) will be self motivated and add to the energy.

Couldn't find anything in the player's twitter, but sounds like per the 1st tweet below the Buffs may (???) have offered a Junior college player- safety Toyous Avery from Coffeyville CC, Coffeyville, KS. (From the 2nd tweet, he just de-committed from CSU earlier today.)

http://247sports.com/Player/Toyous-Avery-86039
http://sports.yahoo.com/indiana/football/recruiting/player-Toyous-Avery-186117

HIGH SCHOOL highlights- http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1583591/highlights

JuCo stats- http://www.kjccc.org/sports/fball/2015-16/players/toyousavery2av7

The Toyous avery offer interesting. He visits KU this weekend. I guess it keeps him away from CSU

that's crazy to me. Safeties have gotten smaller.

Any more, passing games are so advanced that they're basically corners who like to hit. I think of them like baseball centerfielders. Honey Badger's only 5'9", for example, and he's pretty much the prototype for a modern NFL free safety. Another great one is Earl Thomas of the Seahawks (5'10").

Strong Safeties are often bigger, though. Teams are in nickel so much that position ends up being more like an undersized linebacker who can deal with covering these split TEs.

that's crazy to me. Safeties have gotten smaller.

More speed required now. We are seeing it in college now where the safeties from 5-7 years ago are playing LB, the corners are playing safety, and CB's are WR's. Just a shift in philosophy. Obviously in the NFL you have safeties at 6'-2" to 6'-3" and around 235lbs, but those are the exception now.

More speed required now. We are seeing it in college now where the safeties from 5-7 years ago are playing LB, the corners are playing safety, and CB's are WR's. Just a shift in philosophy. Obviously in the NFL you have safeties at 6'-2" to 6'-3" and around 235lbs, but those are the exception now.
Seattle has that brutal combo of Chancellor and Thomas, where both guys have their own unique skill set. I would say Kam is the prototype though. 6'3" 230lbs, can cover and lay the wood with the best of them.

Seattle has that brutal combo of Chancellor and Thomas, where both guys have their own unique skill set. I would say Kam is the prototype though. 6'3" 230lbs, can cover and lay the wood with the best of them.

Coverage is the key.

A couple decades ago you could get away with playing a safety who was weak in coverage as long as he was strong in run support and was a threat to really hit guys after the catch.

Now a lot of the safties of a couple decades ago would be destroyed by either the OCs or the refs.

An ASU buddy (this guy is actually very smart!) sent me a thread from their Rivals site. It is a PDF, so no link. Here is a quote "Colorado's class has to be the worst the PAC has ever seen." Based on the current ranking (avg stars, not cumulative points because of small class size), could these idots be correct?

An ASU buddy (this guy is actually very smart!) sent me a thread from their Rivals site. It is a PDF, so no link. Here is a quote "Colorado's class has to be the worst the PAC has ever seen." Based on the current ranking (avg stars, not cumulative points because of small class size), could these idots be correct?
I doubt it is the worst ever, but probably right with avg. stars.

They may be right because I cannot remember a class that had an average star rating of just 2.5. On paper it looks like a total failure in recruiting.

Nope. The PAC saw worse classes out of Colorado the past 3 years. By definition, this could only be the 4th worst in the history of the PAC. Certainly, even an ASU grad can understand the concept of hyperbole. As bad as CU has been during the entirety of it's PAC existence, there have been worse PAC programs; notably OSU for about 40 years running until about 10 years ago.

YES

247 has us ranked 12th in the Pac and 81st nationally
Scout has us ranked 12th in the Pac and 72nd nationally
Rivals has us ranked 12th in the Pac and 91st nationally (21 spots behind CSU)

When we still suck 4 years from now this will be why.

Nope. The PAC saw worse classes out of Colorado the past 3 years. By definition, this could only be the 4th worst in the history of the PAC. Certainly, even an ASU grad can understand the concept of hyperbole. As bad as CU has been during the entirety of it's PAC existence, there have been worse PAC programs; notably OSU for about 40 years running until about 10 years ago.

Actually the PAC saw better classes out of CU the previous three years. All three were higher in number and average stars just so you know.

YES

247 has us ranked 12th in the Pac and 81st nationally
Scout has us ranked 12th in the Pac and 72nd nationally
Rivals has us ranked 12th in the Pac and 91st nationally (21 spots behind CSU)

When we still suck 4 years from now this will be why.

ouch

Back