What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2016: Recruiting News, Notes & Official Visitors

Does this staff know what a lineman is?

LIke King and his offer list is good but where are all the big guys?

They didn't do a good job this class concerning OL and DL. With a huge class next year, I look to them signing 4to5 guys on both lines each.

Position coaches might provide a clue here.

This post deserves more attention. We've got Tumpkin, Clark and Chev recruiting the DBs and WRs with Leavitt on LBs. Jeffcoat and Bernardi for the linemen. The conversation happening shouldn't include any surprise and it is an obvious problem that needs to be addressed.

This post deserves more attention. We've got Tumpkin, Clark and Chev recruiting the DBs and WRs with Leavitt on LBs. Jeffcoat and Bernardi for the linemen. The conversation happening shouldn't include any surprise and it is an obvious problem that needs to be addressed.
Is that really how the recruiting breakdown goes? I mean, I understand positional coaches play a huge role in recruiting their position, but why aren't Leavitt, Chev, Clark and Tumpkin also recruiting OL/DL guys in their areas (or are they?)?

Is that really how the recruiting breakdown goes? I mean, I understand positional coaches play a huge role in recruiting their position, but why aren't Leavitt, Chev, Clark and Tumpkin also be recruiting OL/DL guys in their areas (or are they?)?

They definitely should be. Walters recruited Lynott.

You recruit your geography with the position coach approving the prospect & HC approving the offer. Position coach involved as secondary recruiter.

You recruit your geography with the position coach approving the prospect & HC approving the offer. Position coach involved as secondary recruiter.
So you're telling me Tumpkin, Clark, Chev or Leavitt haven't been able to generate enough interest in OL/DL prospects to get an approval from Bernardi/Jeffcoat, an offer from MM, and be brought in for an OV?

I'm saying they don't know those positions as well, aren't as focused there, and if the position coach is lazy on film review & follow-up and/or doesn't make a personality connection with the prospects... that those recruiters will not be able to pull enough guys through to cover the deficiency.

Seems like a lot of recruiting decisions come down to how much the recruit likes and connects to his position coach. He may be recruited by the guy who has the territory but he is closed based on the position coach.

Shades of Neuheisel.
You guys just confuse the hell out of me. First you say Coach Mac has to win next year or he is gone. Therefore, with limited scholarships, it makes sense that he would recruit immediate impact players that can help him with that. Offensive lineman can't help for next year at all. Now because he isn't recruiting them, you slam him. C'mon Man! He does have two OL commits. Bennion is coming in on the DL. We have bunches of DL players. We aren't hurting with low numbers for OL.
If Mac makes to next year, then I can see more trench players in our commitment list. But right now, Coach Mac has to win next year and freshmen trench players are not going to help him do that.

You guys just confuse the hell out of me. First you say Coach Mac has to win next year or he is gone. Therefore, with limited scholarships, it makes sense that he would recruit immediate impact players that can help him with that. Offensive lineman can't help for next year at all. Now because he isn't recruiting them, you slam him. C'mon Man! He does have two OL commits. Bennion is coming in on the DL. We have bunches of DL players. We aren't hurting with low numbers for OL.
If Mac makes to next year, then I can see more trench players in our commitment list. But right now, Coach Mac has to win next year and freshmen trench players are not going to help him do that.

That's why you get JUCO OL.

The chicken and the egg argument will get you nowhere here. Why? Because whatever Mac does its always wrong. After all, if we didnt have Rick George to go out and hire Leavitt, Tumpkin, Chivarini, and Wilson just imagine how bad we'd be.

The chicken and the egg argument will get you nowhere here. Why? Because whatever Mac does its always wrong. After all, if we didnt have Rick George to go out and hire Leavitt, Tumpkin, Chivarini, and Wilson just imagine how bad we'd be.

Rick George hired Wilson?

I think what they are wanting is for us to go full Juco, and bring in 4-5 OL/DL players with 2 to play 2. That would theoretically be the instant impact we'd need, but it isn't a very realistic option.

We have 21 returning DL/DT/DE (pending attrition). We have 15 returning OL (pending attrition). We lost 2 scholarship players on the OL/DL combined after last year (Solis & Nembot). That means we've already taken two scholarship spots from other positions and moved them to the current trench commits (4 schollies for Bennion, Lytle, Roberts, Vaughn - pending greyshirt possibilities).

10- 27 will always be wrong.

I think what they are wanting is for us to go full Juco, and bring in 4-5 OL/DL players with 2 to play 2. That would theoretically be the instant impact we'd need, but it isn't a very realistic option.

We have 21 returning DL/DT/DE (pending attrition). We have 15 returning OL (pending attrition). We lost 2 scholarship players on the OL/DL combined after last year (Solis & Nembot). That means we've already taken two scholarship spots from other positions and moved them to the current trench commits (4 schollies for Bennion, Lytle, Roberts, Vaughn - pending greyshirt possibilities).

Yep, wanting ONE juco OL is unrealistic..

The quality at OL and DL, is it good enough?

It is amazing how arguments are just made up on the fly these days. No one really expected much in the way of DL in this class, but I will ask this question point blank: who has enthusiastically committed to CU due to Jeffcoat? Name one player. You want to know the one player who was especially close to Jeffcoat in last year's class? Fehoko. Yeah, that Fehoko, the same guy we could not wait to drop as signing day approached last year. But hey, apparently talking about an assistant coach's track record is off-limits to some here.

Which brings us to the OL. The area fans cannot blame enough for last season's failures. But apparently, the idea of signing a JUCO OT (talked about on Allbuffs before the season, mind you) apparently equates to expecting entirely too much fron this staff. Until the next game where the RT cannot block anyone and then we get such gems as "NO QB CAN FUNCTION BEHIND THIS CRAPPY OFFENSIVE LINE!" Luckily for us, there is no cause and effect in recruiting.

It is amazing how arguments are just made up on the fly these days. No one really expected much in the way of DL in this class, but I will ask this question point blank: who has enthusiastically committed to CU due to Jeffcoat? Name one player. You want to know the one player who was especially close to Jeffcoat in last year's class? Fehoko. Yeah, that Fehoko, the same guy we could not wait to drop as signing day approached last year. But hey, apparently talking about an assistant coach's track record is off-limits to some here.

Which brings us to the OL. The area fans cannot blame enough for last season's failures. But apparently, the idea of signing a JUCO OT (talked about on Allbuffs before the season, mind you) apparently equates to expecting entirely too much fron this staff. Until the next game where the RT cannot block anyone and then we get such gems as "NO QB CAN FUNCTION BEHIND THIS CRAPPY OFFENSIVE LINE!" Luckily for us, there is no cause and effect in recruiting.

Good post and gets to the real issue.

It isn't that we don't have enough quantity on the lines, the issue is with the quality of those guys.

The issue of our QB not being able to play behind the OL is a legit one. It also isn't something that just happened. Our OL coach has had enough time to recruit and develop a group that play and hasn't the call for a JUCO lineman or two is due to the failure to have enough guys ready this far in.

We also look at a DL that continues to get physically dominated on the edges and can't hold the LOS.

It isn't unfair to look at these assistants and put the blame on them. It is their job to have their position group ready and they aren't getting it done.

That's why you get JUCO OL.

You mean guys like Wiefels? No thanks. We already have 6 junior OL. You want to add more to that? We are going to have to live with the OL players we have. I haven't seen 5 star juco OL lining up to get into CU. Have you? We don't need more Weifels. Sure they fill in gaps and holes in the depth chart and balance out the class. But they rarely have huge immediate impact.

Mac needs skilled impact players now. We lose Spruce and no one beside Fields steps up. Makes sense to me why we would go after big juco WR. We lose Crawley and there isn't anyone that has shown the ability to play consistent to help Awuzi. Makes sense we would go after some CB. I'm just sorry we lost Watts. Kid could have pressed for playing time right away.

How about Tyson Rising (with a potential blue chip younger brother at QB)? Yeah, forget that guy.

I have no problem questioning any position coach's ability to recruit. If Coach Mac inherited the worst P5 team in the country, then expecting to unload bloated fat and recruit to a program that sucks is wishful thinking. This is the first time in a long time we actually have depth in most places. Mac has shown he can change if needed (getting rid of a DC a year ago and hiring a better one comes to mind). Our program is not a quick fix. The original Mac was allowed to take time to build it the right way. Everyone loves his 1990's record and the success of the program. No one remembers it took 7 years to get there.

I hope that winning finally catches up to everything else that is positive about our program. If Mac can get to a bowl, recruiting will get better. Hell, Hawk parlayed a bowl season into a top recruiting class. I believe Mac is doing everything he can to get in the best talent he can, hence I expect him to jingle the keys to the offense next season right in front of Mr. Davis Webb. I believe things will change next season for the better. imo

How about Tyson Rising (with a potential blue chip younger brother at QB)? Yeah, forget that guy.
I believe we tried to get Rising, but he wanted the sun debils. I sure they promised him a car or something. He chose to go somewhere else. Graham probably pitched that they are a better program than we are. Did Rising have any ties to Colorado? And how do you say no to the girls at ASU?

I believe we tried to get Rising, but he wanted the sun debils. I sure they promised him a car or something. He chose to go somewhere else. Graham probably pitched that they are a better program than we are. Did Rising have any ties to Colorado? And how do you say no to the girls at ASU?
Definitely not in the champagne room!

I swear some of you guys are reverse trolling now. Just as the "WHO EXPECTS US TO RECRUIT WITH OREGON AND USC??????" was a weird counterargument to something no one was saying, now we have the "YOU GUYS JUST EXPECT THE EARLY 1990s NEXT SEASON!!!!" starting to make the rounds. Uh... what?

Back