What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018-2019 Coaching Carousel..

I don't get why this buyout makes him more "marketable" or more willing to take a job. It makes no impact whatsoever to the next university what he was being paid from LSU. The only thing I could think of is if his buyout had some clause in it that he couldn't coach for a team that had LSU on its schedule during the remaining term. Looking at their future schedules there isn't any teams outside the SEC that have apparent openings: Texas, UCLA, Utah State, Army, and New Mexico.

If this were the case then an SEC team would make the most sense: Vanderbilt is the most rumored to probably be in the coaching hunt.

What am I missing that this makes him more likely to take a job now?
Focus on Les. He wants to coach. He’s leaving $5M on the table to avoid leaving $6.5M on the table (plus getting some time value advantages).

I don't get why this buyout makes him more "marketable" or more willing to take a job. It makes no impact whatsoever to the next university what he was being paid from LSU. The only thing I could think of is if his buyout had some clause in it that he couldn't coach for a team that had LSU on its schedule during the remaining term. Looking at their future schedules there isn't any teams outside the SEC that have apparent openings: Texas, UCLA, Utah State, Army, and New Mexico.

If this were the case then an SEC team would make the most sense: Vanderbilt is the most rumored to probably be in the coaching hunt.

What am I missing that this makes him more likely to take a job now?

because they owed like 6.5mm dollars. and he barely had to show any real effort to get another job to collect that. now, say he has an offer from ku for 4 years guaranteed at 4mm per. that's 16mm in guaranteed money, plus the 1.5mm he just negotiated out of lsu. this deal basically confirms he's coaching again this year.

Here's an interesting thought, what if it's Purdue that's hired Les? With that big 10 tv money they could easily pay him $5 mil a year. Gonna be CU, KU, or PU.
Apparently Louisville is going to announce Brohm very soon. Some guy on twitter in another thread said his sources confirmed or something

OK I don't know why I didn't see the obvious in him coaching this year (or really soon) would mean he wouldn't get any more payout from LSU.

OK I don't know why I didn't see the obvious in him coaching this year (or really soon) would mean he wouldn't get any more payout from LSU.

actually, it is worse than that for lsu. they are entitled to an offset against what he makes in a new gig and he is required to try to find suitable work (that is a really easy one for him to play them on).

say he went to ku and said, hey, you can only pay me 2mm for the first 2 years because lsu will cover the balance... right? then, lsu is still out millions of dollars.

but, if les can go to ku and negotiate a huge guaranteed deal that swallows the whole value of the balance owed him by lsu then he has a big lever point. he goes back to lsu and says that he really doesn't want the ku job but he will take it and let lsu off the hook for 5mm if they pay him 1.5 now. get it?

he had all the power here. and, lsu is broke. 5mm is meaningful to them.

actually, it is worse than that for lsu. they are entitled to an offset against what he makes in a new gig and he is required to try to find suitable work (that is a really easy one for him to play them on).

say he went to ku and said, hey, you can only pay me 2mm for the first 2 years because lsu will cover the balance... right? then, lsu is still out millions of dollars.

but, if les can go to ku and negotiate a huge guaranteed deal that swallows the whole value of the balance owed him by lsu then he has a big lever point. he goes back to lsu and says that he really doesn't want the ku job but he will take it and let lsu off the hook for 5mm if they pay him 1.5 now. get it?

he had all the power here. and, lsu is broke. 5mm is meaningful to them.

In this case, he must already have the contract and may already signed it. or at least will be pushed to sign soon. I doubt it's CU then.

In this case, he must already have the contract and may already signed it. or at least will be pushed to sign soon. I doubt it's CU then.

hard to know for sure, but i doubt he already signed. had he done so, then his lever to get more from lsu is gone. say it is 4mm for 4yrs guaranteed. that swallows the whole 6.5mm-- lsu gets off the hook for no further dollars. but, if les tells them he ain't going to sign (or that he will sign for less so that they still have to pay), then they are incented to pay him something now to avoid the full balance due. that's how he got them to give him 1.5 and that's why he took it.

I mean, the entire point of the article was that he was betting on himself by taking it without an agreement because he's Les Miles and sources close to him said no agreement has been made. It also could have been a good way to show potential employers that he's serious. Of course, he could well have an agreement with Kansas and be announced tomorrow, but Ross's sources suggest otherwise, guess we'll see.

I mean, the entire point of the article was that he was betting on himself by taking it without an agreement because he's Les Miles and sources close to him said no agreement has been made. It also could have been a good way to show potential employers that he's serious. Of course, he could well have an agreement with Kansas and be announced tomorrow, but Ross's sources suggest otherwise, guess we'll see.

that's the spin that makes lsu look good (we got out of 5mm!!!) and les look good (i love lsu and i'm not greedy!).

but, it is all bull****. this was leverage, pure and simple. he and his agent played them.

hard to know for sure, but i doubt he already signed. had he done so, then his lever to get more from lsu is gone. say it is 4mm for 4yrs guaranteed. that swallows the whole 6.5mm-- lsu gets off the hook for no further dollars. but, if les tells them he ain't going to sign (or that he will sign for less so that they still have to pay), then they are incented to pay him something now to avoid the full balance due. that's how he got them to give him 1.5 and that's why he took it.

He probably told LSU that I will make the KU (or whatever U) pay less or let's settle this now. That means he wants to sign something very soon and want to get 1.5m extra money.

So you are right, he definitely hasn't signed anything yet, but could be very close to it.

That would be best scenario. I really hope that's the case.

that's the spin that makes lsu look good (we got out of 5mm!!!) and les look good (i love lsu and i'm not greedy!).

but, it is all bull****. this was leverage, pure and simple. he and his agent played them.

And who would be his agent?

Allbuffs:

Please do not descend to these levels of crazy.
challenge-accepted-success-kid-quickmemechallenge-accepted-meme-of-challenge-accepted-meme.jpg

Holy. ****.

We're not this delusional, are we?
Latest tracker has the plane going into the Sarasota area. Has started speculation on Koetter.
meanwhile KU fans are following these flights -
Wheeler, KS to Baton Rouge
Baton Rouge to Topeka
Scottsdale to Lawrence
What's crazier - tracking flights of ADs on a coaching search? Or tracking other teams ADs on a coaching search...of teams that aren't in our conference...and then posting commentary on those searches? No judgement. Just curious.

What's crazier - tracking flights of ADs on a coaching search? Or tracking other teams ADs on a coaching search...of teams that aren't in our conference...and then posting commentary on those searches? No judgement. Just curious.
This IS the Coaching Carousel thread and Les Miles has connections to CU and CU could be looking for a HC behind the scenes right now for all we know. Flight Tracker threads are entertaining so why not ?

guys i feel like many people are misunderstanding Les' contract. He was receiving $1.5M annually from LSU but any money he received from another job would offset dollar for dollar and bring that $1.5M down. The only way another school could save money by hiring him would be to offer him let's say $500k/year and then LSU would still have to pay $1M/year. He wouldn't be receiving that $1.5M from LSU and his new salary. Therefore him taking the $1.5M final buyout payment is actually great for him because if he gets/takes another job this year, he will receive $1.5M from LSU plus any additional money from his new job.

North Texas: Head coach Seth Littrell secured a bonus of $20k for notching their 8th win last night, and the final two years of his contract have gone from 75% guaranteed to 100% guaranteed, per a tweet from Steve Berkowitz.

Is C-USA to the P5 too big of a jump for a coach, even if he'd spent his assistant career in P5?

I kind of go back and forth on that. Does Littrell need to jump up to an AAC job and succeed before he's attractive to P5 programs? Or is the level fine, but he has to start winning/dominating his conference rather than just being one of the best teams?

North Texas: Head coach Seth Littrell secured a bonus of $20k for notching their 8th win last night, and the final two years of his contract have gone from 75% guaranteed to 100% guaranteed, per a tweet from Steve Berkowitz.

Is C-USA to the P5 too big of a jump for a coach, even if he'd spent his assistant career in P5?

I kind of go back and forth on that. Does Littrell need to jump up to an AAC job and succeed before he's attractive to P5 programs? Or is the level fine, but he has to start winning/dominating his conference rather than just being one of the best teams?
Yeah, he has a lot more to prove and at a higher level, imo.

North Texas was dog ****. He’s done a great job there. All that said, I’d prefer a guy who can get assistants who have played with the big boys. If MM had one glaring weakness, it was his inability to bring in assistants who had that kind of cache.

to me, there's also a chance Littrell is a regional guy. former OU player, Tech assistant, UNT coach. that's a pretty closed world imo versus recruiting out west. seth who? that could change but now his name is a regional appeal.

edit: forgot he was at U of A when Mike Stoops was there....but, still. not sure that's a big bonus.

Back