What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018-2019 Coaching Carousel..

20130402__03DCSFRBW.jpg

North Texas: Head coach Seth Littrell secured a bonus of $20k for notching their 8th win last night, and the final two years of his contract have gone from 75% guaranteed to 100% guaranteed, per a tweet from Steve Berkowitz.

Is C-USA to the P5 too big of a jump for a coach, even if he'd spent his assistant career in P5?

I kind of go back and forth on that. Does Littrell need to jump up to an AAC job and succeed before he's attractive to P5 programs? Or is the level fine, but he has to start winning/dominating his conference rather than just being one of the best teams?

Conf USA to P5 has been a mixed bag.

Good: Haden Fry, Todd Graham, Jeff Brohm

Bad: Derek Dooley, Steve Kragthorpe

Ugly (mixed): Sonny Dykes, Larry Fedora, Tommy Bowden

Conf USA to P5 has been a mixed bag.

Good: Haden Fry, Todd Graham, Jeff Brohm

Bad: Derek Dooley, Steve Kragthorpe

Ugly (mixed): Sonny Dykes, Larry Fedora, Tommy Bowden
Oh, man, forgot about Kragthorpe. Everyone thought he was the next superstar. Just looked him up and he's now an administrative assistant at LSU, having lost his QB Coach position there.

What if that G5 head coach did that after being a successful coordinator at a top program in P5? Would you have liked Urban Meyer less after he left Notre Dame for Bowling Green?

We have swung and missed on G5 coaches twice in the last decade. It'd be insanity if we went out and got a G5 coach.

We have swung and missed on G5 coaches twice in the last decade. It'd be insanity if we went out and got a G5 coach.
There are sooooo many good P5 coaches available (either a FA or at a lesser P5) that are ready to come to CU!

Outside of Miles, who? The ones out of work are out of work for a reason. A G5 HC is fine as long as they are successful. You wouldn’t want the next Peterson?

There are sooooo many good P5 coaches available (either a FA or at a lesser P5) that are ready to come to CU!

Outside of Miles, who? The ones out of work are out of work for a reason. A G5 HC is fine as long as they are successful. You wouldn’t want the next Peterson?
My only thing with G5 head coaches is I would avoid a Dan Hawkins situation of a G5 lifer. Needs to be someone who has a background in big tent programs, not just G5 and FCS. It's why I'm not in favor of Toledo's Jason Candle even though he looks like he's a damn good football coach.

My only thing with G5 head coaches is I would avoid a Dan Hawkins situation of a G5 lifer. Needs to be someone who has a background in big tent programs, not just G5 and FCS. It's why I'm not in favor of Toledo's Jason Candle even though he looks like he's a damn good football coach.
If we're going the head coach route, I'm also a little wary of someone who has merely maintained.

If we hire a G5 coach we might as well be prepared to become more of a national afterthought than we are right now. We need someone who is going to generate national media interest on a large scale. Win or lose right away doesn't matter. We need to get on the media map again. Recruits want flash, they want names, they want pub. They don't want no name Johnny who's "done a heck of a job" at frickin' North Texas, ya'll!

If we hire a G5 coach we might as well be prepared to become more of a national afterthought than we are right now. We need someone who is going to generate national media interest on a large scale. Win or lose right away doesn't matter. We need to get on the map again.
And again, who would that be outside of a Miles? Can’t think of many. Unless you get a top name guy, not to many coaches generate buzz that you are describing.

If we hire a G5 coach we might as well be prepared to become more of a national afterthought than we are right now. We need someone who is going to generate national media interest on a large scale. Win or lose right away doesn't matter. We need to get on the media map again. Recruits want flash, they want names, they want pub. They don't want no name Johnny who's "done a heck of a job" at frickin' North Texas, ya'll!
That sounds like UCLA hiring Kelly to me...and I can understand it from a recruiting perspective but I feel like these situations are short term and flame out quick.

This is a dumb take. We're in the Pac 12-our whole league is a national afterthought right now. You know how I know that? This is cupcake Saturday-Gameday is at Cincinnati/Central Florida,. The list of opponents for the SEC this weekend includes the likes of Rice, Liberty, Idaho, UMass, and the Citadel. This would be a great weekend for this league to get some exposure-and that isn't going to happen because four of the six games involving Pac 12 programs tomorrow are on ****ing P12N.

You don't not look into a guy like Matt Wells at Utah State (who will have his second 10 win season in six years after they destroy CSU in an empty Canvas Stadium tomorrow) and Jeff Tedford at Fresno (we've talked about that) because they're in the Group of 5. Both have a better resumes right now than Dan Hawkins did when he got this job and HCMM did six years ago. Give me a guy who is going to win games-not just the press conference.

Last edited:
I like Jason Candle too. His wife's last name is "Hackbarth."

I think Mrs. Hackbarth-Candle would be a great CU First Lady.

I would say we swung and connected with MM. He was the right guy at the right time. Just because he’s not the right guy now doesn’t mean he was a bad hire. He was, in my opinion, a very good hire.

Les Miles would be fun but I'd much rather have an offensive minded coach

I’ll believe it when I actually see him at the press conference. Until then, I remember when Bitch Jones was reportedly in negotiations with CU. Things change.

I would say we swung and connected with MM. He was the right guy at the right time. Just because he’s not the right guy now doesn’t mean he was a bad hire. He was, in my opinion, a very good hire.
A sensible post!

Back