What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018 Buff offense

Moretti is highly doubtful to play. Apparently, he will not be ready to practice this spring. The recent OL puff piece did not even mention him. I think it is a fair guess his injury is not healed, and maybe even a reasonable assumption he is not going to ever play.

Moretti apparently is making progress (which was not necessarily the case when last season started), but I think realistically we are looking at a 2019 debut, if it happens at all.

His is a knee right but has nerve damage? That him or somebody else?
You know I don't know, for sure. But, he is apparently having a hard time getting right. When that OL puff piece didn't even mention him, that was a really bad sign IMO.

Sounds like you guys are saying Kaiser will get beat out. So, if guys can get healthy and stay healthy, what are we hoping for?

LT - Miller
LG - Sherman?
C - Pursell?
RG - Lynott
RT - Haigler
Miller's health is the big question for me. When he was able to play and was feeling right, he was a good Pac-12 OT.

So if he is right, then that's what I have penciled in. If he's not right, I shift Sherman to LT and have Polley at LG. That's why I said 2 or 3 freshmen starting along with Lynott/Haigler on the right side of the line.

But everyone please keep in mind that this is a guess and that the spring/summer/fall will decide all of this. I'm not sure that even Adams has a pencil depth chart at this point.

Seems more of a roll of the dice to guess on how young guys are developing on the OL than any other position (my opinion).
What these guys are doing in the weight room has a lot to do with development, and that's yet to be seen. Rare is the frosh ready to step in, but I suppose Sherman and Polley look about as ready as any. I'm not sure if such projections are purely based on star-ratings out of HS or if Adam has been sharing info. All I got to go on, is they usually mention the guys they are high on and leave out the ones they are not counting on. From that perspective, ChanceLytle got a lot of play from Adams. Pursell and Tonz as well. Lytle may be more ready to play at OT than Sherman/Polley, who practiced inside?

What I do like is there's competition from about 10 guys. That will make us a lot better and hopefully our weakest link is still a decent P5 OLineman.

With that said, they mentioned a lot of Akil Jones last year........
Sometimes guys get mentioned to call them out and try to light a fire under their ass. Speculating based on coach quotes is a great way to make bad assumptions. Too bad we don't have the ability to observe any practices or have any independent media observing.

Moretti is highly doubtful to play. Apparently, he will not be ready to practice this spring. The recent OL puff piece did not even mention him. I think it is a fair guess his injury is not healed, and maybe even a reasonable assumption he is not going to ever play.

Um, I was answering as a best case scenario. I know the score with moretti you wanker!

I challenge you to find a P5 tackle last year 6'3" or shorter.
Okay, I typically love these types of statements because inevitably, they are wrong - and badly wrong.

And yet in my humorous attempt to prove this statement wrong, I found it to be true. I cherry picked more than a dozen P5 teams that were the lowest performers and could not find a starting OT less than 6'4", let alone under 6'3"

4095600.jpg

Okay, I typically love these types of statements because inevitably, they are wrong - and badly wrong.

And yet in my humorous attempt to prove this statement wrong, I found it to be true. I cherry picked more than a dozen P5 teams that were the lowest performers and could not find a starting OT less than 6'4", let alone under 6'3"

4095600.jpg
On that note, Bakhtiari is the Drew Brees of OTs at 6’4” and that was also true in college. It’s getting rare to even be a starting OG at this level at under 6’4”.

I honestly it was common knowledge that 6'5" is basically the minimum height requirement to play OT at this level.

I don't consider Polley or Moretti tackle prospects.

Also, Moretti measured in at 6'4". I believe a bit over, but not 6'5" as some sites had him. I wouldn't worry about him not having the length to play OT, guys. Let's just give him a chance to get healthy.

There was a quote at one point during Moretti's recruiting saga from McChesney on Moretti playing RG at CU:

If a coach can recruit you then say, 'When Moretti's healthy I'm gonna stick his a** at right guard and we're gonna run behind him, and I gotta find four other pieces to put around Moretti so our foundation is strong.' That's what I'm looking for, and that's what Jake is."

The other variable is now that Kough is gone, when Lynott is healthy should he play C, or RG? Probably depends upon the rest of the talent pool at each position, which due to his injury will sort itself out. If our weakest spot ends up being C when he returns, then put him there, etc. etc. If not and all other things are equal, where is his most naturally dominant/valuable position? Seems like RG based on the amount time he has spent there over the last 6 years (CU and in HS).

If that is the case then the Center job looks like Pursell's to lose unless Will Sherman factors in at that spot (mentioned by MacIntyre in passing that Sherman can play C).

Could easily be a battle at LT between Miller, Haigler, and Vaughn with the odd-men out competing with Kaiser, Lytle, and Shutack for starting RT duties. That makes 6 guys going for 2 spots.

With Lynott, Middlemiss and Tonz competing against Polley, Sherman, and Paige there are six guys going for 2 spots (+Moretti when healthy); and then you have two grey-shirt freshmen in Ray and Roddick that could factor in.

It is great to have 3 guys at each position who can challenge without having to tap into the freshmen or rotate players out of their best-fit positions

Buff nation needs to pray, sacrifice, whatever it is that one must do to bring good luck to the knee of Moretti. He seems like he has the talent to be an elite mauler, just look at his frame and film. Our OLine at least has size now. Having a large youth movement isn't a bad thing, retention of a unit isn't always good if the pieces just aren't there. I don't know how great they will be this year, but at the very least we have a developing core.

Back