What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018 College Football News

Nick Bosa has informed Ohio State he intends to focus his training on the 2019 draft once he's cleared to do so and not on a return this season.

Nick Bosa has informed Ohio State he intends to focus his training on the 2019 draft once he's cleared to do so and not on a return this season.
Top 3 pick in the draft almost a guarantee... Unless he gets injured that is... He should just take out a big insurance policy on himself.

between these kids not finishing their obligation to to a scholarship and the new redshirt / transfer rules - They are ruining our great sport of College Football.

Top 3 pick in the draft almost a guarantee... Unless he gets injured that is... He should just take out a big insurance policy on himself.

Fairly certain he had that and he did get injured, so he's playing it safe rather than trying to cut some corners to maybe return this year. OSU has just confirmed Bosa has withdrawn himself from school, btw.

Fairly certain he had that and he did get injured, so he's playing it safe rather than trying to cut some corners to maybe return this year. OSU has just confirmed Bosa has withdrawn himself from school, btw.
As I said with Fournette and McCaffrey, I will never fault anyone who makes that decision. Fournette was the #4 overall pick, McCaffrey was the #8 overall and Bosa is going to be a top 3 overall pick. That's a ton of guaranteed money you risk losing. Jake Butt was probably going to be a 1st round pick had he not been injured. You think he regrets it at this point?

As I said with Fournette and McCaffrey, I will never fault anyone who makes that decision. Fournette was the #4 overall pick, McCaffrey was the #8 overall and Bosa is going to be a top 3 overall pick. That's a ton of guaranteed money you risk losing. Jake Butt was probably going to be a 1st round pick had he not been injured. You think he regrets it at this point?

Jaylon Smith needed 2 years to get over his knee injury.

People may not like it, but it's the smart decision and unlike McCaffrey or Fournette, Bosa *did* get injured and he's probably thinking fool me once here. And it's not like some coaches or programs hesitate to kick you to the curb when they see a chance to do so.

https://deadspin.com/sue-paterno-endorses-candidate-who-got-penn-state-its-w-1829851680

May Sue Paterno rot in hell with her dead husband.

...and a meteor hits the pedo state AD.

I can understand when fanbases are willing to overlook "cheating" involving money and other financial rewards, even academic dishonesty. How anybody could be okay with what Penn State allowed to happen because Paterno didn't want bad publicity is beyond me.

At some point we are going to have federal oversight of college football and cases like this will be exactly why.

This bothers me. He’s part of a team that’s looking at being in great position to win a conference title, maybe a national title. You can tell me all the reasons why it might be a smart business move and you’d be right. But I’m a fan of the sport of college football, not a fan of the business of NFL contracts. So I don’t like this. Sucks for the sport.

This bothers me. He’s part of a team that’s looking at being in great position to win a conference title, maybe a national title. You can tell me all the reasons why it might be a smart business move and you’d be right. But I’m a fan of the sport of college football, not a fan of the business of NFL contracts. So I don’t like this. Sucks for the sport.
I’ve followed this story a bit and the word was that the likelihood that Bosa would be back prior to December was iffy at best. I think he is making the right call for the team as well so they can move on.

I really wish it was feasible to have a training league where guys who are not interested in school can get paid to prepare for the NFL, and return college football to true amateur athletes.

I really wish it was feasible to have a training league where guys who are not interested in school can get paid to prepare for the NFL, and return college football to true amateur athletes.
What’s the difference? The players like Bosa who choose not to risk injury by foregoing college eligibility are allowing the other “true amateur athlete” to play in his place. So 99% of the time you’re getting the best of the best players on the field all the time, and the other 1% of the time you’re getting what you desire here.

I don’t mind the Ohio states of College football to lose big time players at all. As long as it not happening in boulder :)

Understand that part of it, would probably piss me off as a teammate a bit. Everything you said about it is on point. I guess I'm saying that I wouldn't like it, but I could understand it, given his ability. I don't think you're wrong, at all.

A) I don't like when college players call it quits to preserve their pro career and I agree they need a "Minor League Football" kind of deal. 2) But I do appreciate Bosa withdrawing from the university and not milking the scholly if he doesn't intend to play. That was my biggest issue with McCafferey and Fournette - they got through the end of the semester (probably the year) and bailed on their team in a bowl game.

A) I don't like when college players call it quits to preserve their pro career and I agree they need a "Minor League Football" kind of deal. 2) But I do appreciate Bosa withdrawing from the university and not milking the scholly if he doesn't intend to play. That was my biggest issue with McCafferey and Fournette - they got through the end of the semester (probably the year) and bailed on their team in a bowl game.
Neither Fournette or McCaffrey got hurt early in the season, which is the difference. Both played out the entire season for their teams and then decided a ****ty bowl game wasn’t worth playing in.

Neither Fournette or McCaffrey got hurt early in the season, which is the difference. Both played out the entire season for their teams and then decided a ****ty bowl game wasn’t worth playing in.

Right. From what I read, Bosa wanted to come back and play. But, as a reasonable person, he made a decision based upon his future. Many scouts believe Nick Bosa is better than his older brother and will be drafted higher than him. This is tough since Joey was the #3 overall pick. Yet, a lot of draft boards have Nick going #1 or #2 overall.

This story reminds me that the person matters more than the game. The game gives people an oppoortunity to enrich themselves. But, in the end, the player is putting his body on the line. Given what we know about the long-term effects of playing high level American football, this sacrifice is no small investment.

Right. From what I read, Bosa wanted to come back and play. But, as a reasonable person, he made a decision based upon his future. Many scouts believe Nick Bosa is better than his older brother and will be drafted higher than him. This is tough since Joey was the #3 overall pick. Yet, a lot of draft boards have Nick going #1 or #2 overall.

This story reminds me that the person matters more than the game. The game gives people an oppoortunity to enrich themselves. But, in the end, the player is putting his body on the line. Given what we know about the long-term effects of playing high level American football, this sacrifice is no small investment.
Yes, I see people talking out of both sides of their mouths on this issue. Fans pretend to be so player friendly on every issue a player faces with the NCAA, except when it comes to these players actually doing the right thing and looking out for their financial futures. The it’s all about the team and the sport because of the fan’s own selfish desires.

Yes, I see people talking out of both sides of their mouths on this issue. Fans pretend to be so player friendly on every issue a player faces with the NCAA, except when it comes to these players actually doing the right thing and looking out for their financial futures. The it’s all about the team and the sport because of the fan’s own selfish desires.
I can't relate to it. I don't understand how someone can be a captain of a team and decide to abandon his teammates to focus on the next stage of his life.

Fortunately, I think this will be an exceptionally rare circumstance.

I can't relate to it. I don't understand how someone can be a captain of a team and decide to abandon his teammates to focus on the next stage of his life.

I think most players today understand. It’s the big business of CFB and they ALL openly talk about getting to the next level on social media, many starting in high school. But I can see your side of things too, I just will never find myself thinking less of a player for it.

I'm surprised you this sentimental about it. Clearly the best move for his future and its Future Family. If it was business would you think of it any other way?

I'm surprised you this sentimental about it. Clearly the best move for his future and its Future Family. If it was business would you think of it any other way?
As I said, I'm a fan of college football. That's what I care most about. Why would I make it personal? Do you think that Bosa cares about what moves I make in my career? Of course not. We don't know each other. So I only care about him in an abstract way, too.

In that abstract way, I can relate it to what I'd tell my own son. What I'd tell him if he was in Bosa's position is that he's an adult and it's his decision, but my advice is to be the kind of many who honors commitments, responsibilities as a leader and relationships with friends & teammates who count on you. That these character traits are more important than money.

Back