What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018 Offseason News: Pac-12 & CU Opponents

If I'm RG, I'd call up Rutgers and see if they want CU to visit in 2020. If so, I'd take that payday and pay off CSU for not traveling to Ft. Collins in the last year of the current deal.

Hard pass.

I don't see much upside to beating Rutgers, plus it would almost certainly be an early kickoff game and an easy one to drop after a 4 hours flight to the east coast. No thanks.
I know others here don't feel the same way, but CSU has become a body bag game. The programs have been on completely different trajectories for the past 3 years and the talent gap is widening substantially. I understand not wanting the RMS at Mile High and it's lame that it finishes up in Fort Collins, but it will be a very probable win and satisfying send off to the hiatus to the series.

I know others here don't feel the same way, but CSU has become a body bag game. The programs have been on completely different trajectories for the past 3 years and the talent gap is widening substantially. I understand not wanting the RMS at Mile High and it's lame that it finishes up in Fort Collins, but it will be a very probable win and satisfying send off to the hiatus to the series.

This folks. Think about it, CU goes up to the greatest stadium ever built, beats the crap out of csu, drop the mic and say bye-bye.

It's already eating at them and the fake "we care about college football in this state" Denver media that this is ending.

Let's send them off proper ****ed.

So we very well could get smoked in that game, but at least it would be more high profile and likely a bigger payout. Not a real fan of 1-off games, so I would want to see a return date from OU.

I think RG needs to avoid being a little too desperate to get out of that CSU game.
I'm afraid he's going to use it as leverage on a new series with them. I don't want a new series. I want to see RG either play it and be done (less ideal) or find a replacement game that more than offsets the cost of buying the game out (ideally a neutral site game with a P5 school, but away with a return trip in future works).

Ask Nebraska if they will play a neutral site game in 2020 and back out of the CSU game. Do you think they would say yes to Mile High? Their current OOC that year is South Dakota State, Central Michigan and Cincinnati.

EDIT: HOLY ****, Nebraska-CU in Vegas 2020 opener.

There will be so much black and gold in that stadium in 2020. It's going to be hilarious to see.

Ask Nebraska if they will play a neutral site game in 2020 and back out of the CSU game. Do you think they would say yes to Mile High? Their current OOC that year is South Dakota State, Central Michigan and Cincinnati.

I could get behind that

I could get behind that
I think that would be best case scenario. Okay a more meaningful game against an opponent Cu fans would travel for and ditch the CSU game at the same time. Could be rough having essentially two away games against Nebraska with frost and A&M but it would be a blast to play them 5 years in a row. If it were up to me we would play every year anyways.

When you are figuring out the costs you have to factor in that playing CU/RMS/AFA/Wyoming save a lot of money because there is no chartered airplane.

ECU travels an average of 750 miles (1,200 kilometers) for its road football games, the team will pay $430,000 to fly Allegiant Air.

Moving a football team around the country isn't easy. Including players, coaches and staff, the contingent can number 150 or more, requiring a medium-range jet like Boeing's 737. Teams generally fly out Friday, return after the game on Saturday, and often want the plane to sit idle in between.

Letting a plane that size sit on the tarmac was acceptable to the airlines until they began limiting the number of seats available in an effort to boost fares. With ticket prices now going up, the carriers can make far more money putting those 737s into continuous service.

Facing high travel demand, airlines are cutting back on the number of planes and crews available to charter, leaving colleges and some pro sports leagues scrambling.

Jennifer Bulla, who manages travel for Ohio State, spent "a sleepless week" after United Airlines canceled its agreement to fly the Buckeyes in 2017 and 2018.

American Airlines recently cut its number of National Football League charters to three from a reported nine. "It made more sense to make sure we were prioritizing the regular passenger operations," American spokesman Joshua Freed said.

JetBlue, the Pirates' preferred carrier, told ECU its charters were no longer available. Doug McGraw, a JetBlue spokesman, said the airline continues to operate some charter flights but is "focused on deploying our aircraft to meet demands for scheduled service."

Greg Raiff, chief executive of charter operator Private Jet Services, says he's fielding more calls from college coordinators like Smith: "They say, 'Hey, if these airlines won't fly the Miami Dolphins, what's the chance they're going to fly my college?'"

Illinois's football team will take a four-hour bus trip to play at Iowa this year, in lieu of the 26-minute charter they've taken in the past. They'll probably bus to Wisconsin next year, according to Tim Knox, who handles the team's travel. When Illinois last put out its bids for a charter partner, none of the major airlines were interested. No JetBlue, no United, and no Delta. "At the end of the day, they just don't need us anymore," Knox said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...ball-charter-bus-airplane-20170531-story.html

When supply goes down price usually increases. I never thought of the fact that the airlines had so little supply. They could literally tell the NFL and colleges its gonna be three quarters of a million bucks per trip from now on, take it or leave it. I guess some charters could step in. But do you want to take that plane?

I feel like we are going to continue the series with CSU somehow. I wish we wouldn't, but I fear RG will end up doing it.

I’d like to see a rotating Front Range series, including Boise State and Utah State. Build the regional brand.

I feel like we are going to continue the series with CSU somehow. I wish we wouldn't, but I fear RG will end up doing it.
Hopefully he is listening to fans, a lot of time has passed since it was leaked they were near a deal and now. He already dealt with the backlash went on local radio saying he wanted to games on campus and CsU didn’t and that was the hold up. No reason to bring it up again.

I’d like to see a rotating Front Range series, including Boise State and Utah State. Build the regional brand.

I do not mind playing some Front Range teams, but how is playing Utah State going to help a regional brand? We already play Utah every year.

I do not mind playing some Front Range teams, but how is playing Utah State going to help a regional brand? We already play Utah every year.
In thier good years, they are very Boise State-ish. And it seemed they had a few Poly names on thier team. Wouldn’t hurt to get those eyes on CU every so often.

In thier good years, they are very Boise State-ish. And it seemed they had a few Poly names on thier team. Wouldn’t hurt to get those eyes on CU every so often.
I think you over-rate them. I can't remember Utah State having Top 25 seasons, let along being anywhere near Boise State level. I do remember they gave Auburn a scare at their place one time. And they have had some good coaches.

But if we're talking about G5 opponents, I'd say that we should be looking at AAC and C-USA opponents in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana. We play enough in the MTZ & PTZ by being in the Pac-12 and this region's G5 teams don't do anything to help CU.

Oh, hell yes!

Podcast of Champions is doing a review of every school in the Pac-12. They did the UCLA schools last week and the Arizona schools yesterday. I think the criteria they use could be sort of humbling for our fanbase but we will find out next week. I assume Adam is going to hop on there soon.
1. Does the school have the resources to accomplish goals
2. Recruiting: does the school keep most of the in state kids home and how it it viewed nationally?
3. Politics: Is everyone on the same page and do they want the same things? (Fanbase, boosters and insiders)

1. Do we have the resources? Definitely not but greatly improved from the mid 2000's. I will say there is quite a bit of potential there for this to get better over the next 10 years if Mac can put together a couple more winning seasons. CU and Denver definitely has some more fair weather fans that will take notice.

2. Recruiting: A small but growing instate talent pool that CU probably does okay keeping in state when compared to some of the other states in the Pac-12 (ASU got 1 of the top 10 in their state in 2017 and what looks to be 0 in 2018.) On a national scale I would say that it is more difficult than some schools but a lot of people hold CU and Boulder in high regard.

3. Politics: complete **** show. When everyone is on the same page the football team usually performs well but the bottom is perfectly capable of falling out at any time.

Speaking of the charter plane issue, I'm guessing this means more regional games against AFA, CSU, Wyoming, and UNC. And I imagine maybe more against KSU and Nebraska.

Back